Is there a technique that would help me strum my 4 string chords, mainly the D chord. On my Cadd9 chord I can lay my middle finger on the low E string but on 4 string chords I have trouble not strumming the A string.

Do I just train my strumming hand to not hit the strings or is there another way?

Much appreciated.
you could alway mute the others, for the chords like the D and C, you have to avoid the lower strings that's all, you build that with time
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
you can mute them using your other fingers or just train yourself not to hit them
what megano said.... also hitting the A during a Dmaj chord isn't all that bad it barely changes the sound of the chord I know I usually play D maj like this:

e|-2-|
b|-3-|
g|-2-|
d|-0-|
a|-0-|
e|-2-|

but for the most part it's just practice....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Huh, a Cadd9 chord, and your trying not to hit the A string? You prolly mean the E string, and what I usually do with Cadd9 is a use my thumb to mute the low E, cause I can wrap my entire hand around my neck, and it helps.

You eventually do train your hand to just not hit those strings, but the technique of muting them also sticks with you so it sounds even cleaner.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Huh, a Cadd9 chord, and your trying not to hit the A string? You prolly mean the E string, and what I usually do with Cadd9 is a use my thumb to mute the low E, cause I can wrap my entire hand around my neck, and it helps.

You eventually do train your hand to just not hit those strings, but the technique of muting them also sticks with you so it sounds even cleaner.

I don't have a problem with my Cadd9 chord, I just barely touch my middle finger on the low E string and it mutes it. I can't do that with the Dmaj chord, but Ill just train myself to not hit them strings, most likely better for me in the long run.
Try using your thumb and/or pinky as much as possible (whichever is most comfortable, ofc)
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Dekkon
I don't have a problem with my Cadd9 chord, I just barely touch my middle finger on the low E string and it mutes it. I can't do that with the Dmaj chord, but Ill just train myself to not hit them strings, most likely better for me in the long run.

Same thing applies as the Cadd9 chord, your still using your thumb to mute the E string, but with a Dmaj chord, it's ok to hit that A string, nobody is going to notice cause it kinda blends with the D chord, it just makes it a little bit thicker sounding.

But yeah, with chords like that you'll just learn to not hit that open string you can't mute.
Quote by Hail
Try using your thumb and/or pinky as much as possible (whichever is most comfortable, ofc)

Agree with Hail on this one. Try using your thumb and you'll find it much easier
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here