Is a Suzuki Rm 80 a good first bike?

Im 5'9'' and 190 lbs. I wanted a 250 4 stroke but sitting on then they were too big and intimidated me a bit. I felt more comfortable on 150's with around a 33 inch seat height like the rm 80 i want too buy. I only plan on keeping it a couple months then upgrade to a 250 when im comfortable. Will the rm 80 have enough power to get me started and stay entertained for a few months?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
I don't have that much experience with bikes but you sound a little big for an 80.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Probably better to go onto a 250 first, or maybe a 125. I'd say your too big for an 80
Quote by lufkin
Broom guitar.
The necks so long that theres like 100 frets.
If you wear womens clothes while broom-guitaring its incredible.

Quote by Argonaut
If you don't like bacon then you are either a veggie or some kind of wierd mutant freak.
I used to race Motocross, so i am good on the topic. You are way too big for an 80. Is it a 4 stroke? A 4 stroke 80 is about equal to a 50 2 stroke. Even 190 may be a little heavy for a 250 4 stroke. I raced 2 strokes, had a 250, weighed in about 160, a little to heavy for a 125.

I would look into either a 450 4 stroke or a 250 2 stroke.
Quote by theseedyoldguy
Probably better to go onto a 250 first, or maybe a 125. I'd say your too big for an 80

I forgot to mention the rm 80 is a 2 stroke so its like a 150cc 4 stroke
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
Too heavy for both. A 150 4 stroke is like an 80 2 stroke.

Sorry you already said that.
Last edited by siksofus at Apr 7, 2011,
Anything less than 1500 hundred is for wimmin.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
4 stroke has smoother power delivery though. What about something like yamaha wr450?
Quote by lufkin
Broom guitar.

Quote by Argonaut
If you don't like bacon then you are either a veggie or some kind of wierd mutant freak.
Quote by theseedyoldguy
4 stroke has smoother power delivery though. What about something like yamaha wr450?

I sat on some 250 and 450 4 strokes but ii didnt feel quite ready for them yet since i couldnt touch the floor : / thats why i started looking at 150 4 stokes and 80 2 strokes.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
What kind of bikes are you looking at? You might be able to do 125 2 stroke but it would be much less scary learning on a 4 stroke even if it is taller.
Quote by lufkin
Broom guitar.

Quote by Argonaut
You need to adjust spring rate. Figure on about 25% sag for proper suspension performance. Are you looking to race or just play ride?

for the 125 2 stoke, you need to really know how to ride, lots of clutch fanning and shifting. You pretty much need to be full throttle to go anywhere and not totally bog.
Quote by siksofus
I used to race Motocross, so i am good on the topic. You are way too big for an 80. Is it a 4 stroke? A 4 stroke 80 is about equal to a 50 2 stroke. Even 190 may be a little heavy for a 250 4 stroke. I raced 2 strokes, had a 250, weighed in about 160, a little to heavy for a 125.

I would look into either a 450 4 stroke or a 250 2 stroke.

Calling bullshit, any racer would know a RM80 is a two stroke bike. In any case, I had a buddy who got his first 250 when he was around 135 pounds, and was 5'5" tall. If you're not comfortable, see how a 150 4 stroke fits you, and go from there. You definitely never wanted to be afraid of the bike you're riding, injuries happen that way.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Shirate
Calling bullshit, any racer would know a RM80 is a two stroke bike. In any case, I had a buddy who got his first 250 when he was around 135 pounds, and was 5'5" tall. If you're not comfortable, see how a 150 4 stroke fits you, and go from there. You definitely never wanted to be afraid of the bike you're riding, injuries happen that way.

I really felt comfortable on the kawi klx 140l and honda crf 150. Im just trail riding and such for now. I was really hoping to find a balance between something i could put my feet on the ground and just enough power to learn and upgrade in like 3-4 months
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
I raced motocross back in the late 70s/early 80's.
I had, over the years, YZ125, RM125, YZ250. All 2 strokes
I weighed about 140lbs. And I'm 5' 9"

At 190lbs, the RM80 is to small for you. But would make a great pit bike.
If you feel comfortable with a small 150 and you have the cash to upgrade to a 250 later, then do it.
Do they still make 175cc 2 strokes? Get one of those.
If a bike intimidates you just sitting on it, I would not suggest it.
Go back to the old days and get a Maico 501 ...If you want your arms 6 inches longer

To put it in guitar terms....If you try to be like Steve Vai right away, you are gonna have problems.

God I miss those days.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 7, 2011,
The 2 bikes im looking at right now is a 1988 kx 125 2 stroke and a 2001 rm 80. I think ill get the 125 if it runs good and then go for the rm 80 if it doesnt
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
**** off shirate. I am not up to date with mini bikes. I know what i am talking about. Racing buddies mean you are a pussy.
Quote by As_I_Lay_living
check out a honda crf230, smaller than a 250 by a bit, but not wimpy either.

I did but i still felt uncomfortable not being able to plant my feet. Maybe i just need to deal with the height. Will i end up getting used to it and finding out how to deal with the height?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
Quote by siksofus
**** off shirate. I am not up to date with mini bikes. I know what i am talking about. Racing buddies mean you are a pussy.

Uhm, I believe Suzuki first released the RM80 in 1979.
And where the **** does "Racing buddies mean you are a pussy" come from?

Quote by -Kr0n1c-
I did but i still felt uncomfortable not being able to plant my feet. Maybe i just need to deal with the height. Will i end up getting used to it and finding out how to deal with the height?

You should adjust to the height quickly. I did, But then again, I got my first YZ125 when I was 17 and had been riding since I was 8.
Means he didnt race. Doesnt count if you dont race. Raced Carlsbad and Saddleback. You may have to lean over a bit. That is ok. I used to use blocks for starting.
Ok just to satisfy my curiosity, what were the track conditions usually like at Carlsbad ?
I remember seeing a Few GP races at Carlsbad. Was awesome.

And while I have raced at Carlsbad, Saddleback, DeAnza, some Saturday night races in Bakersfield, Escape Country/Racing World (Had both names during its time) my home track was Indian Dunes. Indian Dunes, every friday night (Except I think it was November - February whe they didn't race on friday nights)

And its a good idea to ride with a buddy when racing or trail riding. To do do otherwise is just stupid.
You should adjust to the height quickly. I did, But then again, I got my first YZ125 when I was 17 and had been riding since I was 8.

skyway pipe - 6th gear for your YZ
Muddy in the morning, hard and dry after about 2 motos.
Raced one year week after the GP, whole track, including rattlesnake gulch. Ruts were like 3 feet deep at bottom of the uphill.

Raced CMC. Lots of Saddleback regulars were afraid of Carlsbad
I thought Carlsbad was a rush, but Saddleback was better.
Carlsbad was like cement after 2 motos. Sunbaked for eons.
But I LOVED all the sand at Indian Dunes. Raced against Johnny O'Mara a few times. Got my ass handed to me everytime but once when someone took him down in the first turn. Another lap and he would have passed me. Damn he was FAST.

I was mainly an AME guy, did some CMC races though.

Saddleback Saturdays were awesome.

And WTF every happened to 40 minutes plus 2 lap motos? Real Men road those.
I know what you mean about being intimidated by the height TS, but after a little bit of riding it becomes a relative non-issue. After you learn how the bike handles and you are able to lean into the bike you wont worry about your toes being a couple inches off the ground. I would recommend a 4 stroke as a first bike. They have smooth power delivery and generally require less maintenance. A friend of mine who learned on a 2 stroke 125 constantly mixed his gas on the rich side and then cruised around in third gear and wondered why his bike became hard to start and bogged out. He had to learn how to take apart and rebuild a carburetor shortly after he started riding.
Quote by Steel8909
Unrelated but what happens when you put diesel in a 2 stroke engine?

About what you'd expect.

As a beginner, I would go with a 125 or 250 4-cycle offering from any major manufacturer. I find them so much more pleasant for the general rider. The height is only intimidating for the first few rides.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Apr 7, 2011,
I ended up finding a 1995 RT 180 2 stroke so im gonna get that : )
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
Quote by siksofus

It doesn't matter if you are "up to date" on minibkies or not, you should know that any suzuki with the prefix RM is a 2 stroke, and there 4 strokes are RMZ's.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Maybe. If I were you I'd go for a 125. It just depends on how comfortable you are with your abilities. I wouldn't go for an RM80. I'm 5' 6", and I comfortably ride a Honda CR85 Expert (it's just like a slightly smaller 125, still has balls). I'd go for a 125 if I were you.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome