Hello UG

So heres the thing im thinking about buying a new guitar in 400 dollar price range but im gonna put in dimarzio's and change tuners shield cavities and that stuff. So im having trouble deciding between the ibanez rga 32 mol or the epiphone 1958 korina explorer. Any help? Wich guitar would be the best in quality? or do you recommend any else in that pricerange?
playing style: rock 'n roll some metal but mostly gilbert type ( mr big and racer x) stuff
also fixed bridge
natural, flamed or quilted finish
im gonna swap out the PUPs anyway
amp and FX are in my signature

Thanx
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Last edited by guitardWARf at Apr 7, 2011,
vs threads arent allowed..
but i would choose ibanez, i hate epiphones and think theyre glorified garbage just cause it has gibson right in front of the name
Quote by SKArface McDank
vs threads arent allowed..
but i would choose ibanez, i hate epiphones and think theyre glorified garbage just cause it has gibson right in front of the name

fixed the title my bad
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
if u want to play gilbert type stuff, obviously ibanez is the only way to go. you need high fret access and fast neck for his stuff
I'd say ibanez. I have a few Ibanez guitars and they're suited well for rock and metal

+ You said you play Paul Gilbert stuff, Paul plays ibanez too
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
Quote by thebuddybud
if u want to play gilbert type stuff, obviously ibanez is the only way to go. you need high fret access and fast neck for his stuff

Ibanez don't make you faster. The whole "fastest" everybody uses is complete horseshit. It's all a matter of preference. In fact, the the thicker the neck, the faster I play. Ts, try the guitars in question. That's the only way to know which one you want.

EDIT: take a look at rondomusic.com For your price range, it will be hard to beat an agile.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Last edited by shaggydogJV at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by SKArface McDank
yeah i think when people say "fast" its just another way of saying thin

Which is grossly inaccurate. :/ Thin=/=fast.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Try them both, but I feel like the Ibanez would be a better fit for your style. Seems like Explorers usually get used for heavy, riff-oriented rock while the Ibanezes are more like shred sticks.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Yeah the RG series are really nice, I've played them in comparison to epiphones and they feel a bit lighter and more durable.
in case you really needed another person telling you that Ibanez is the way to go, I would suggest getting the Ibanez.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
You're comparing two completely different guitars. Why not throw a ****ing Telecaster into the mix while you're at it?

Play them both, decide for yourself.
Quote by shaggydogJV
Ibanez don't make you faster. The whole "fastest" everybody uses is complete horseshit. It's all a matter of preference.

Yup, it's all personal preference. I play faster on necks that aren't as wide as others, but not necessarily ones that are thinner.

But the comment about higher fret access is a good point. The Ibanez will be a lot better in that respect than the Epi.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2