My guess is an e-bow and lots of reverb

Quote by Equivalence
With regular synth and violins, maybe bowed guitar as well...not really that mind boggling is it?

And this.
A regular synth? I bought a cheap bow from ebay a while back but didn't get anything out of it, might be my inability to use it right :/

My e-bow makes very sharp noises, I can't get anything like the sound I want from it
Quote by marklcfc
A regular synth? I bought a cheap bow from ebay a while back but didn't get anything out of it, might be my inability to use it right :/

My e-bow makes very sharp noises, I can't get anything like the sound I want from it

Actually, you're not alone.
I'm the same. Can't get mine to smoothen out either. But, yes, ebows do sound like that when done right.
Quote by fly135
You can do that with a guitar using a Roland VG99 or GR55.

You can do that with a guitar using a volume pedal and reverb
Quote by Sguit
You can do that with a guitar using a volume pedal and reverb
Great! Post a clip so we can hear it.
Quote by marklcfc

That's pretty much just guitar. I don't hear any bowing.

It just sounds like volume swells with lots of delay and reverb. A tiny bit of dirt usually helps with clarity.
There's also a bass swelling in there i think.

As for the bowing issues...i used to have the problem.
Using a lot of rosin, keeping your grip tight and using mostly the part of the bow near your hand works well for me. I also cut my highs a bit and run it through more delay and verb. Usually sounds pretty damn amazing.
Especially in a stereo setup.
Last edited by unet at Apr 7, 2011,
for the ebow, turn your tone knob all the way down and use the neck pickup and turn its volume all the way down and slowly bring it up to the volume you want
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Again for the Ebow, works best with a split humbucker or single coil neck p'up.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by InanezGuitars44
for the ebow, turn your tone knob all the way down and use the neck pickup and turn its volume all the way down and slowly bring it up to the volume you want

This. My ebow would sound like balls unless I did this, and that seemed to work things out.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"