Hi dudes, let me get straight to the point. I have an Ibanez RGR321ex with stock pickups (designed by EMG) that sound like shit. The guitar itself is very good and I've grown emotionally attached to it :p . Needless to say I've decided to swap my stock pickups.

I've done some research and it seems that alot of people like the Bareknuckles Warpig pickup for the bridge position. There's even a video in youtube showing my model (RGR321ex) equipped with one. Well I def. like the sound of it but it packs too much punch for my liking.

Me and my band, we are not into the UBER metal sound. We are more onto the emo side ( please have mercy xD ) - think bands like Funeral for a friend, Senses fail, Still Remains e.t.c. but these guys also pack some heavy riffs some times. I've read good things about the AirNorton / AirZone combo and I've got a pair already (got a cheap deal from a friend) .

Basically my question is could you get that creamy soft rythm distortion out of the Warpig? Do you think the Warpig is better soundwise than the Dimarzios? Because during my research I've seen some guys saying that the Warpig is deffinately the better pickup in ANY situation so I want to know if that is really so.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time
Last edited by martinbg at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by WtrPlyr
What amp do you have?

this, if your amp is crap theres no point buying a set of £200 pickups which could go towards a decent tube amp
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
In band practice room we use an old peavey bandit 112 ( it actually sounds decent to my ears ) but we use also some equipment at my house where I route the guitar direct through a Boss GT-8 *digital pedal* into a mixer ( we also have an E-drum set and we jam on headphones ). To be honest the sound recoded directly from the GT-8 sounds better than the sound I could record with the Peavey ( using a Shure SM58 and a decent M-audio interface ). So the way I see it, I dont want to give 2k for a Messa Rectifier (coz that's what I want to buy ). When we play on a gig I would use some rented equipment instead while at home I would play directly through the GT-8 onto the PA system.
Quote by Levi79
Get a used 2 Channel Dual Rec.

Too expensive ( at least here in europe )
Yikes man - you realize the amp is about 80%+ of your sound right? You could buy the most expensive pickups in the world (BKP's are close to that, I think) and it'll still sound bad if you don't like your amp's sound. I would say your priorities are out of whack. They should be:

1) Comfortable/Playable guitar
2) Good Amp
3) Guitar you like a lot
4) Effects
5) Pickups

I'm sure that list isn't totally correct, but it's more sensible than playing a mediocre $300 solidstate amp, and a $500 guitar with a $300 pickup in it. I'm using US dollars btw.
Well tbh I thought the pickups will really affect whats going out of my GT-8? I'm satisfied from what I can get from my digital pedal. With some mastering the distortion doesn't sound that bad (ofc. cannot be compared to what comes out of tube amps) and I'm not willing to give out big money for a good amp right at that point. While I can give some 200Euros for couple of good pickups, I cant argue that the sound will change drastically. There must still be some positive change or?
Yes, you can, surprising, the Warpig is a very big pickup on the Jazz scene, despite it's high output, if you roll off the volume knob a bit, it cleans up rather well, making it perfect for softer stuff.

If you already have the Air Norton pickup, then just stick with it, you only get Bareknuckle pickups if you want quality, and are looking for every detail of your tone to be exactly how you want it.
I'd only suggest getting BKPs if you've got a pretty good amp to play through.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yes, you can, surprising, the Warpig is a very big pickup on the Jazz scene, despite it's high output, if you roll off the volume knob a bit, it cleans up rather well, making it perfect for softer stuff.

If you already have the Air Norton pickup, then just stick with it, you only get Bareknuckle pickups if you want quality, and are looking for every detail of your tone to be exactly how you want it.

Thank you ethan for your reply. I read something similar in the bkp forum for the warpig being surprisingly a hit amongst jazz guitarists . Also another thing - they are cheap here in europe and not so cheap in the US. Coz i get the Warpig for like 100 Euros and the Dimarzios cost 80 Euros each.
Last edited by martinbg at Apr 7, 2011,
Maybe look into an Orange amp since you're in Europe?

also, none of those bands are emo, just sayin'.
Quote by martinbg
Thank you ethan for your reply. I read something similar in the bkp forum for the warpig being surprisingly a hit amongst jazz guitarists . Also another thing - they are cheap here in europe and not so cheap in the US. Coz i get the Warpig for like 100 Euros and the Dimarzios cost 80 Euros each.

Well, if there's only a 20 euro difference, then I would defiantly go for the Warpig, great thing about BKP's is that they resale really close to their original price, and hold their value really well.

If you don't like the pickup, you can usually sell it for, say you bought it for 100 euros, you can prolly sell it for 80 or 90 euros.
The thing with modeling amps/cabinets is that they color your sound very much, and don't let much of anything else come through.

The only modeller I am interested in hearing is the new Pod HD series, not sure if they allow anything else to bleed through.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
The thing with modeling amps/cabinets is that they color your sound very much, and don't let much of anything else come through.

The only modeller I am interested in hearing is the new Pod HD series, not sure if they allow anything else to bleed through.

Well for one I know that the digital signal is really dependent on what goes in ( the analog singal ) and I'm sure that my stock pickups do not produce the best analog signal there is xD, so there should be some difference. Maybe someone that uses digital pedals to record can tell me if its worth it? I've been considering getting the Zoom G9.2tt for some time but for now I'm good with the GT8 .
used 2 channel dual recs go for £1000ish, i've seen 4 in the last month go for that including the one i bought a few weeks back

with that pedal it will not effect your tone getting new pickups, you really are better off saving up and getting a new amp.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Orange might work for you (rockerverb, thunder 30, thunderverb 50, etc.), considering you're in Europe.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Plain and simple, the Air Zone won't do a tight, thick metal tone in the bridge position. It makes a really nice neck pickup, but in the bridge it really isn't going to cut it for modern metal.

But with your current setup, neither is really worth it. Saving up for a better amp will make you a lot happier in the long run.
Quote by littlephil
Plain and simple, the Air Zone won't do a tight, thick metal tone in the bridge position. It makes a really nice neck pickup, but in the bridge it really isn't going to cut it for modern metal.

But with your current setup, neither is really worth it. Saving up for a better amp will make you a lot happier in the long run.

One year later my chain is:

Ibanez RG321ex (dimarzio AirZone bridge) -> OD808 -> mesa single recto -> recto cab 2x12 -> sm57 -> gap73 -> m-audio fast track pro

Here are the first results: http://soundcloud.com/blinkingriki182/redalert-single-rectifier-v2

I think that is a thick metal tone, what do you think