I've always wanted to listen to a song, then be able to figure it out by ear.

I can get the occasional riff or two, after some trial and error.

anyone have tips so i can learn songs by ear and eventually tab them out?

Many thanks to any reply.
Practice your scales so you know excactly how they sound. I think it'll take years to be able to just pick things up and play along with it but some things you can kinda go "Oh that's definitely the blues scale!" and then it's only a little bit more tinkering after that.

The other thing I'd recommend is something like this, I did 200 of these a day and sometimes still do. Really helps your get you paying attention to your ear. http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval
GUITAR!!!!!
try downloading audacity. its a free download and lets you speed up, slow down tempo. transpose the song so you don't have to detune your guitar everytime you wanna play something like BFMV or Led Zep. On the plus side I hear its really good for recording audio.
Audacity IS a good recording program. I use it myself on occasion. But to improve ear training, I also suggest trying to learn some intervals using either the guitar or the piano. So have a friend play two notes for you, either separately or apart, and try to figure out the interval. For example, an E5 power chord is a fifth (the E is the root of the chord, and the B is the note five tones above it in the scale), the intro to "Smoke on the Water" is entirely played as fourths, etc.
I've done some intervals in my past, and i can pick up on those easily.

as goofy as it sounds playing with my digitech whammy pedal helped alot with intervals, and how the sound played together.

but it just seems, songs i have a problem with. i think the scale idea may help
I find that if the song is riff based, it's easier for me to try and dissect it by use of intervals, especially if the song is in a drop tuning such as drop-D, drop-C, etc. It works out for me. Then again, I've also had 9 years of formal piano training under my belt *shrugs*
Easy theme songs will get you started. single note picking melodies. like xmas songs. I bet theres a ton of songs you remember from childhood you could figure out. I learned star wars, imperial march, indiana jones, robo cop, deck the halls, silent night, x men, zelda, ode to joy, tetris, theres a really cool one i dont know the name for , mortal combat. I think u got the idea
This is one of the hardest things. For me it just came naturally after a while. One thing I do, that I think helped with this, was how I write songs. I usually just improvise for a long period of time and record it and then go back and listen to it later. When I hear something I like, I try to remember/figure out what I was playing and write it out. This helped my hearing of notes and intervals a lot.
When you practice a lot you will begin to get familiar with the way that certain scales/chords sounds,for example if the song that is playing is doing some kind of diminished arpeggios or uses dominant chords or maj7th or whatever,you will recognize it and you will alredy have an idea of how to start to learn the song by ear.
I would suggest you a software calld EarMaster,it's a ear training program as you will probably tell,and it's structured almost like a video game,i use it myself and it's very cheap,it's a great choice.
Also Transcribe in a great program too,preatty cheap and it let's you slow down or speed up tracks so it's useful also for builing speed and practing for example..
You need experience listening to and transcribing music. Also learn to sing what you play.
Quote by MartialLawband
I've always wanted to listen to a song, then be able to figure it out by ear.

I can get the occasional riff or two, after some trial and error.

anyone have tips so i can learn songs by ear and eventually tab them out?

Many thanks to any reply.

More of this.........

"I can get the occasional riff or two, after some trial and error."

with more experience, there will be less and less error. it takes time.

start with easy stuff. Memorize and play the songs regularly. build up a repertoire
shred is gaudy music
one small exercise would be to sing a note and then find it on the guitar. Do this everyday until you can do it easily. Then move onto singing intervals first and then finding the on the guitar. You need to hear them. Its sound memory. eventually you learn what certain voicings sound like without having to play them. A lot of time I can figure out a song without having to touch my instrument. I'm not always 100% right but the more I do it the better I get. Don't get ahead of yourself tho. Take your time with each phase.

--m
www.knobtwiddler.net