I have a Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio with a P/J pickup configuration and it comes with some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickups.

I'm looking for tones like Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Megadeth or Rancid.

I've been told these pickups won't do the trick since they cut the mids. I usually use Rotosound Swing 66 strings. What pickups should I look for to get the tones I'm looking for?
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
well i know from interviews etc with dave ellefson from megadeth that he gets his sound by scooping out some of the mids. alot of rock and metal bassists cut the mids, so i'm not sure i agree with what you have been told.

if you are looking to get a tone tone similar to tool etc then i would recommend looking into the Sansamp Bass Driver DI stomp pedal. it can give a very nice dirty, bassy tone, with a nice hint of crunch and plenty of attack, and does a very good job at emulating justin chancellor's (sp?) tone in my experience, as well as tim c from rage.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Last edited by jackers1234 at Apr 8, 2011,
I have the same bass, All of those bands have scooped mid-tones so the pickups would be fine. (You'd think the Megadeth bassist's signature model would be good for playing Megadeth wouldn't you?)

I have to agree with the above poster and recommend a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. This will get you closer to the tone you want
So the pickups are fine then? I thought that the mids were what gave you the actual presence...
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Quote by lavalamp360
All of those bands have scooped mid-tones

Timmy C gonna slapa yo' shit fo' that. His Audioslave is a work of art and is FULL of midsy niceness.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Apr 9, 2011,
I'd hardly say Justin Chancellor and Matt Freeman have mid scooped tones...

Boost the high mids and treble on your amp a little, slap some new strings on and play with a pick. That should help.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
i would say that the pickups are fine, just mess with your eq slightly and you will be fine as said above increase high mids and treble.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.