I currently owe a Vox AC15 with a Greenback and have been thinking of getting an Alnico Blues, but my question is what could I expect in sound difference? would it sound cleaner, break up faster, more natural, how does it handle bass/mids/highs compared to the greenback, etc etc. Avatar speakers sells them for $239, which is the cheapest I've seen them new, and I know the alnico blues is supposed to be the classic... thanks!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
The blues are more high and mid, which they excel at.
Bass is less prominent than the highs and mids.
They are SWEET speakers IMO.
I have 2 Alnico Golds (50 watt version of the blues).
I run one in a 1x12 cab and the other in a 2x12 cab with a G12K-85 (which excels at bass).
I got the best of both worlds IMO.

Being that the blues are 15 watt and you are putting them in a 15 watt amp, it will breakup nicely.
I would say more, but I've been up for 30 hours (Back and business issues/problems won't let me sleep ).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 7, 2011,
Things I like better about the greenback:
-More bass, sounds more full, more mellow

Things I like better about the blue:
-Clearer, more aggressive character when overdriven, sweeter treble.

They're both great speakers. I prefer the greenback for cleans and the blue for breakup. The blue is a louder speaker than the greenback, but it also breaks up sooner. If you want a Blue that breaks up later and is a little warmer, you can get a 30 or 50 watt version from Weber (tedweber.com). They also make a ceramic version that is more aggressive.
30 hours wow... back issues? that's tough man... I had a botched corrective scoliosis surgery and now I'm somewhat crippled and stuck on painkillers... yeah I think I'm going to end up getting a cab with a blue and something a bit bassier, perhaps a G12K-85 as you mentioned... what kind of amp(s) do you use the G12K-85 with? Does it maintain a similar character regardless of the amp?

Yeah I think I would prefer the greenback for clean and blues for breakup too. I'll keep the green i have in the combo and then get a cab with a blue and (something bassy).

Thanks guys!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by cheeekens
30 hours wow... back issues? that's tough man... I had a botched corrective scoliosis surgery and now I'm somewhat crippled and stuck on painkillers... yeah I think I'm going to end up getting a cab with a blue and something a bit bassier, perhaps a G12K-85 as you mentioned... what kind of amp(s) do you use the G12K-85 with? Does it maintain a similar character regardless of the amp?

Yeah I think I would prefer the greenback for clean and blues for breakup too. I'll keep the green i have in the combo and then get a cab with a blue and (something bassy).

Thanks guys!

Yeah...I gots Syringomyelia . It sucks. I just got woken up from what I thought was gonna be a nice sleep, not a 3 hour nap

I've got a Vox A30. Run my 2x12 with the Alnico Gold and the G12K-85.
The AC30 is the only amp I have every ran this 2x12 cab with. So I can't really give
comments about other amps.

The G12K-100 is that latest incarnation of the G12K series, although you can still find G12K-85's around. I got 3 of them off craigslist about 4 years ago for $40.
I see G12K-85's going for about $100 each at a store near here.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 7, 2011,
oh man that must be tough... my issues are just muscular and skeletal, but nervous issues are much more complicated, but I look up to you for being able to cope with it, and you have an AC30 (I see I'm talking to the right person regarding the alnico blues). Thanks man and I hope you're able to get some real sleep soon =)