im looking to start playing guitar again, with a new guitar, but im unsure what would be good for me.
i would like to play pop-punk style, but others aswell, so i guess versatility is a plus.
the budget is a rather small £200 GBP or under, possibly over with good reason.

thanks
What's your current gear?
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Hmm yeah but if you only have 200 pounds for both you're not going to find much unless you hit the jackpot on the bay. I'd say sell what you have for whatever amount of money you have an look for a Squier HSS strat, and get the shop to set it up properly before you buy it.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Looked at a chapman ML-1?
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
If i was to save up to a higher budget, what would be a good amount? And what guitars are there in that price range?
EDIT: i heard that the necks on les pauls are rather thick, would that be bad for a beginner?
Last edited by Adam278 at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by avenge the rage
Looked at a chapman ML-1?

this
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.
Quote by Adam278
EDIT: i heard that the necks on les pauls are rather thick, would that be bad for a beginner?

Actually, when I'm just playing chords I prefer a neck that's a little thicker. It fills my hand a little better and feels more comfortable for me. Thinner necks are better for soloing because (in general) it's easier to move around faster. As a beginner you'll be mostly strumming chords, so I think you'd like the neck of the Les Paul.

And when people say it's thicker, you have to understand that they're comparing it to other guitars that have ultra-thin necks. It's not like only people with huge hands can play a Les Paul. I actually have small hands and I own a '57 reissue Les Paul Goldtop (which has one of the fattest necks you can find). It's not a problem at all.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
just wondering how each of these guitars would compare to each-other?

Epiphone SG G-400 @ £219

Epiphone Les Paul Studio @ £249

ESP LTD EC-100QM @ £259
i'd say look around used a bit, can get you really nice deals.
other i'd choose a cheap guitar and put some mods onto it.
strat copy's or perhaps as suggested an ml-1

also anything can do punk right, just aggresive playing style and amp settings and this part.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Apr 11, 2011,
You can actually get a decent guitar for that amount

My vintage VS6 (very good SG copy) goes for £180 on dolphin music, and I would happily take mine over any Epiphone SGs I have tried in shops, they definately feel up for the task There is also the V100 les paul copies for a similar price, which are also great

There is also the Danelectro DC59, which is in your price range and would have the sound you are after, and if you can stretch to about £250, the Squier classic vibe tele or the Jagmaster would definitely fit the part

Some of the Epiphones are also good, but I thought I'd list some that hadn't been mentioned (and that I know something about!). It is definately possible to get a decent recording or live standard guitar if you are happy to shop about and aren't worried about branding, at the end of the day if it sounds & plays like a beast...why not! Good luck to you sir
I have a signature!

Quote by HunterTN
I personally try to avoid anything with strings or pickups. I take all the strings off of mine and just beat them with a hammer. Guitar is a percussion instrument you know.