Hi folks. I'm new to the forum but have been a player for 24 years and I'm here to conduct a little informal research. I thought you guys and gals would be an ideal place to start.

I work for an ad agency and have a question for you regarding artist endorsement. As you all know, the guitar publications are full of artist endorsement ads. In general, do these ads mean anything to you?

Do you find that if an artist endorses a product that it:

A) Increases the perceived value of the product?
B) Decreases the perceived value of the product?
C) Makes no difference at all?

Furthermore, what if the product being endorsed wasn't directly related to their sound? For example, Joe Satriani's endorsement of Ibanez or Peavy may resonate since that gear is a key part of his sound. But what if the artist endorses a peripheral product such as cable? Would that have any bearing on your perception of that particular brand's performance over another?

I appreciate any insight you could offer.

Thanks,
Joe
reported. but in case this is per rules and legit, i won't be an ass.

i won't play any signature gear, with the exception of a Gibson Les Paul (technically it is an endorsed product, just thought of one to a lesser degree.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No, because the vast majority of signature or endorsed gear hasn't even been used by the artist in question so its not as if you can say, " i use the same guitar/amp/cable as Joe Satriani". even signature guitars or amps are never used by the artist as the versions they use will be extremely expensive, high quality custom shop versions.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Yes and no. If it's an artist who looks badass while playing AND I enjoy their music - then yes. I.E. James Hetfield, Claudio Sanchez have done a ton to improve Explorer sales IMO.

Angus Young, in his own shitty way, probably did a lot for the SG (I hate both).

Endorsements for amps I feel are a bit different. If you see a band live and they are playing XYZ amp that's what I'll try to get/use for that sound. At least when I was younger. Now that I can buy whatever I want - I've realized there are hundreds of options for amps and I can find my own sound.
i would say yes and no. i find out about certain products because of the guitarists that use them and when trying to find something that fits my style i will check out what they play first. that said with cables and such i will normally just go with a brand that i know is good. im not going to buy a product just because X guitarist uses it, but i will try it out and if i like what it can do then i will buy it.
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
I don't think it makes a difference if the product is endorsed by someone. I buy a product because I like it, not because somebody endorses it. But, ofcourse endorsement helps spread the name of the product. Therefore more people learn about it and if they like the product they buy it.

Endorsement is more about spreading the brand name than about showing how great the product is, how I see it.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i won't play any signature gear, with the exception of a Gibson Les Paul (technically it is an endorsed product, just thought of one to a lesser degree.

Who gives a shit if its against rules or not? This is one of the more interesting posts in this forum ATM. Lord. Buncha topic nazis on this forum.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Actually Joe uses Marshall now, which goes to show how little his gear has do with his sound at all. His tone on the last record was still very obviously Joe.

That's a good point. I could have sworn he had a new Peavy head at NAMM this year.
Not really. Artists usually use a lot of other gear other than the particular pieces that they endorse, particularly in the studio which is where most peoples perception of their tone comes from.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Well it increases the value of the item, as the prices tend to be higher if the product in endorsed... but as I see it, not all have increases the perceived value... I think corey beaulieu is a great player, but that fact that he endorses the Vypyr series is just awkward, and jumps at me as pure marking...as I don´t see a player of his caliber using such an item(although a good item for its price), and so I thinks its worse than if he did n ´t endorse it..
but connecting the right character to the right item, can do miracles on getting public attention on such item. As for peripheral objects, if you know your way around some piece of gear I'd it doesen´t matter how endorses what. but If you don´t know your way, like you've never gave much interest on what cables to buy, but one day you see one endorsed by your favorite artist, you might just give it a go. my two cents, hope t helped
Zak Wylde endorses MG's. Tony Iommi endorsed Orange amps even though he stated publicly that he doesn't like them. So no, endorsements mean squat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tasanhalas
Well it increases the value of the item, as the prices tend to be higher if the product in endorsed... but as I see it, not all have increases the perceived value... I think corey beaulieu is a great player, but that fact that he endorses the Vypyr series is just awkward, and jumps at me as pure marking...as I don´t see a player of his caliber using such an item(although a good item for its price), and so I thinks its worse than if he did n ´t endorse it..
but connecting the right character to the right item, can do miracles on getting public attention on such item. As for peripheral objects, if you know your way around some piece of gear I'd it doesen´t matter how endorses what. but If you don´t know your way, like you've never gave much interest on what cables to buy, but one day you see one endorsed by your favorite artist, you might just give it a go. my two cents, hope t helped

This does help. Thanks. And it kind of brings up another point. The way I see it you guys have been doing this for a while now and are probably beyond the recreational level. If you're enthusiast or pro-level at this point I would think most of you may look past the endorsement. Sure might have an affect on the kid that's just starting out, though.
Yeah, there is no way this is against the rules. People ask stuff for all kinds of reasons all the time. There are countless "take a poll for a class" threads around the pit and others. This might not be the best forum for this, but alas if we banned everyone who did that, we wouldn't have a board.

As for your question, I'm not in marketing, so I probably won't use the lingo you're looking for, but for me, actual endorsements don't make much of a difference. It may make me try something, if someone I enjoy plays it. Like I play a Takemine because I saw Bruce Springsteen play one, so I tried one and liked it. But, I don't think I'd be any more likely to play it if Bruce appeared in an advertisment. So I think the best advertisments for gear is to find out they actually play it.
I don't usually go for endorsement deals. I go for what plays well for me. If a certain band uses a certain product, I may check it out, just to see if it'll work for me, but that doesn't automatically mean I'll go buy it. Good example - I was trying out amps a while ago and heard that Kirk Hammett switched to a Randall endorsement. I tried out a Randall just out of sheer curiosity and found that it does what I want it to do well. So, because of Kirk, I got a good quality amp. Does that mean that I'll go out and buy his signature head? Probably not.
For me it doesnt change the value of the product if it has a well known artist on it. But, it took me about 10 years to reach that conlusion because when I was starting out, all I could think of is getting "that" piece of gear just like my guitar idol at the time.

I think that type of marketing is targeted to the younger musicians.
99% of the well known musicians I've had the blessing to talk and work with dont care about the endorsements...all they strive to do is to have the best tone possible. With a name brand or not.
I don't really care about artist endorsement. Most of the artists doing the endorsing either...

1) Don't actually use the product in question outside of photo ops
2) Use a heavily modded version of the product in question
3) Have one built to custom spec at the factory
4) Any combination of the above.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
nope, i just check for what gear they're actually using in the studio and on stage, and they don't always use their stuff from endorsement deals.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Personally I really like endorsements, but if I'm ever going to buy one I'd always go look for reviews or try out the guitar/amp.

I've been looking at the JVM 410C because Satriani use a modified version of the head, and also his JS1000 or JS2400. But like a lot of other people have already mentioned the artists are typically using modified versions of the product.

I don't think the products should cost more just because they're endorsed by an artist though.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

wow what an idiot, just report threads and you dont even know if its ug legal or not. douche

Anyway for the thread. I say overall A but to me personally C
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by westway77
This does help. Thanks. And it kind of brings up another point. The way I see it you guys have been doing this for a while now and are probably beyond the recreational level. If you're enthusiast or pro-level at this point I would think most of you may look past the endorsement. Sure might have an affect on the kid that's just starting out, though.

I think this is a really good observation. After playing for over 15 years, I know what I like and I know what I want. I could give a crap which artists are endorsed by which manufacturers.

...but when I was in high school and just starting out, I had a MUCH different perception. If my favorite artist said "Use this and you'll sound like me" I would definitely want that piece of gear. But I'm too smart to fall for that now

Most of us on this forum put more faith in peer reviews (like those on this forum) than a magazine ad.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Depends on the target market. If you're just trying to push a large amount of product on beginners and teens, endorsements can make or a break a sale. For guys like me and many other guys here, it really doesn't come into play and in some cases pushes me away from the product in question. Brands with lots of endorsers spend lots of money paying them and I'm not going to fork out extra money for those endorsements when I can get the same thing for less but without them. Just one reason I don't own any sig gear.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Artist endorsements do not matter to me. What I have noticed is that while some artists may endorse a certain product and may play it on tour, they probably didn't record or get their 'sound' through said product so in the end, it's all BS. Sure advertisements and such work to get the product name out there but, in the end, it should come down to your personal preference and sound. Craft your own sound, don't do it from a magazine- the only way to do that is to get out there and play.

Good Luck!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Actually Joe uses Marshall now, which goes to show how little his gear has do with his sound at all. His tone on the last record was still very obviously Joe.

I would never compare the gear an artist uses to the sound he gets on a CD. Studio magic is responsible for a lot of the tones you hear.

Now I've seen Joe many times.

I've seen him once with Marshall before he endorsed Peavey. Twice with his JSX, Once with Chickenfoot w/ Marshall and then once more on his own with his newest Marshall.

Gotta say, big big difference between the JSX and the Marshalls. The JSX was a lot fatter in the lower mids, slightly muddy and nasal. terrible rhythm tones, but fantastic lead sounds. The Marshall were thinner brighter and much more pointed. Didn't really care for the sound he got out of them honestly.

As far as endorsements go. I wouldn't bother with endorsed guitars, but I might look into pickups that an artist whos tone I enjoy uses. Amps, sure if a guy endorses amp I might look into it. I mean I've owned a JSX and I own a Lonestar, and both are used by two of my favorite guitarists. However their endorsement made me research/test the amps, not buy them. I bought them because they worked for what I needed.

Same for pedals. I might try something endorsed by an artist (provided they actually use it) but I would only buy it if it does what I want better than any similar pedal.
Like others have said, seeing an artist use a piece of gear may inspire me to look into it, but I won't buy it simply because they use it.
I'd say yes, if I enjoy the artist then it would probably sway me more towards buying it (although that would be a bonus, the feel/ specs would always come first). On the other hand, if I dislike the artist, then I would avoid it.
I would like to find a brand new old green esp stephen carpenter 6 string that i could afford at the moment money is tight
No. I don't like to buy signature gear, nor do I really care what an artist endorses, since half the time, they don't even use it life or in the studio.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I buy what sounds good.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
interesting ? without a simple answer. it depends on whether i believe that the product will help me get the sound i want and if i truly believe the artist actually uses the product. in this case for the advertising to be effective i have to believe that the artist A) actually uses the product and B) truly believes in it (and not the paycheck). this may inspire me to at least investigate as to whether i feel the product is right for me. i won't just buy something because of an advertising campaign.

i'll point out that many of us here on the board "endorse" products all the time. every time that someone asks "what (guitar, amp, fx etc) should i get". the answers (or at least the good ones) are an endorsement based on the fact that you use it and like enough to recommend it to others. this may be better advertising in th elong run as i think many would find it easier to believe an average musician who actually paid for the item.
Im kinda hit and miss on advertisements. If i see zakk wylde with a pedal board full of MXR's, im gonna look at an mxr peddle first before i look at an ibanez pedal. When i saw Steve Stevens and John Petrucci using Musicman guitars, i looked into the Sterling brand (The step down) and purchased my guitar based on the fact that they both seem to like Musicman very much.
Quote by monwobobbo
interesting ? without a simple answer. it depends on whether i believe that the product will help me get the sound i want and if i truly believe the artist actually uses the product. in this case for the advertising to be effective i have to believe that the artist A) actually uses the product and B) truly believes in it (and not the paycheck). this may inspire me to at least investigate as to whether i feel the product is right for me. i won't just buy something because of an advertising campaign.

i'll point out that many of us here on the board "endorse" products all the time. every time that someone asks "what (guitar, amp, fx etc) should i get". the answers (or at least the good ones) are an endorsement based on the fact that you use it and like enough to recommend it to others. this may be better advertising in th elong run as i think many would find it easier to believe an average musician who actually paid for the item.

good post
Nope.

Artists endorse garbage a lot of the time.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I normally avoid signature gear like the plague.
Only difference is my MXR EVH Phase 90. But only cause I liked the way it sounds, not because it has Eddie's name on it.
The Alex Lifeson Gibson ES355 is another story. Thatss one sexy guitar. And I am a bit of a Rush fanboy.
A little bit. What I am interested in is checking out every single piece of gear I can when I am at a show. I love checking out pedal boards and amps, guitars, mics, lights, synths, bass gear, anything haha. I'm not sure why, it's just pretty interesting looking at what "professionals" use. Then hearing it all live is pretty great.
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Quote by mmolteratx
Depends on the target market. If you're just trying to push a large amount of product on beginners and teens, endorsements can make or a break a sale. For guys like me and many other guys here, it really doesn't come into play and in some cases pushes me away from the product in question. Brands with lots of endorsers spend lots of money paying them and I'm not going to fork out extra money for those endorsements when I can get the same thing for less but without them. Just one reason I don't own any sig gear.

what also is interesting to me, is that a lot of the gear i own comes from companies that don't advertise, and some of which don't endorse.

for example Scott Splawn agknowledges people who use his amps, and while they may have a deal or not, its not obvious, but he certainly doesn't endorse anybody. however i doubt you will see Scott in Guitar World ever. but again i don't think thats where he wants to be.

fulltone comes to mind. they state on their site that they do not give away any free product to famous musicians, that the guitaristists that use them PAY for their gear (from fulltone anyway).

also i am noticing, the futher i progress with my gear quest, the big retailers like MF and M123 and GC (obviously we know they are all the same) don't carry a lot of the products i am buying, they don't even carry it.

word of mouth and stupidly enough word of forum is what goes farthest with the gear i purchase.

so just throwing that in,.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It depends on the artist. I personally love Brad Paisley's tone so I look into a lot of the gear he uses. It doesn't usually mean that I buy it just because he plays it, but I do tend to give stuff that he plays a look when I might otherwise overlook it.