Im working towards one day being a Self employed teacher and altough i can play well and feel i can teach good technique i feel theory is the area i am lacking compared to the others. I do know some theory but itd be a big help to know what you guys think is the most important things to learn and in what order when you are learning guutar

Any input would be much appreciated
i think that knowing theory is a big thing in teaching guitar, even if you are not teaching it directly with a lot of people being able to explain why something goes the way it goes help that player progress.

learning songs will help a player progress, but knowing why X chord and Y chord work together will help a player expand on his/her playing in the future.

that said, too much theory to a new guitar player can be overwhelming and could push someone away from wanting to progress at there instrument
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
Theory is more important. Technique will come in time. Ir doesn't matter how you are playing it, what matters is knowing what you are playing
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Theory is more important. Technique will come in time. Ir doesn't matter how you are playing it, what matters is knowing what you are playing

i disagree with this, in fact i'd say it's backwards. i've seen lots of people with poor technique that don't know it (mainly because no one showed them the right way to play) im not saying every guitarist needs to sit/stand classical style all the time but your hands/arms/body function at their peak performance in certain ways and can be damaged if you stress them too much in the wrong ways (playing with a guitar slung to low for example) playing with a good technique makes things like learning via repetition easier i think (i know my hands started cooperating better after i got used to playing properly and holding my fret hand at the proper angle)

all in all both are important, but i think if i had to pick one i'd start off with technique. most guitarists don't pick up the guitar wanting to learn theory, they want to jam some ac/dc or play a song to pick up chicks. all you really need to do at that point is show them the right chords and show them how to play it properly, might as well make sure they don't hurt themselves in the long run by teaching them the right way to play from the beginning.
Do we have to have this "get taught" vs "self-discovery" (and it's bastard cousin "tabs or standard notation") conversation every single week?

Maybe I should just make a "the only direct vs self-instruction (tabs vs notation) thread" and sticky it?

Thoughts?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Do we have to have this "get taught" vs "self-discovery" (and it's bastard cousin "tabs or standard notation") conversation every single week?

Maybe I should just make a "the only direct vs self-instruction (tabs vs notation) thread" and sticky it?

Thoughts?

CT

before we know it we'll have FAQ's for everything, people will have no need to post any questions

but really i'm interested, go on.....

i've personally always seen it as everything goes hand in hand, there isnt really one more important than the other. the most important things are to make sure that you can play to the technical level that you want to be able to and as far as writing goes, generally the more you know, the better. of course the pitfall there is "do you really really really know it and know it right and can explain why" i'm of the belief that if you can analyze a piece of music and explain why it should sound good, it will.
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 7, 2011,
Haha, here I am a teacher that specializes in teaching theory, and I'm about to tell you that I don't think, in the scope of your question, that theory is that important!

If you are starting out as a teacher, get them excited and falling in love with the guitar. Out of the 4-5 other teachers in this town that teach the guitar, do you know how many besides me teach theory? None of them, they teach songs and tabs and chords and some scales and that's about it. How many know theory? None of them. They do fine.

Best,

Sean
Quote by axemanchris

Thoughts?

CT

Yeah while we're at it we can:

1. Create the "only modes thread". It would just be a closed thread with a line saying "what you're playing, it's not a mode".

2. Modify the "suggest me a song thread" so that it's a link to google.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

1. Create the "only modes thread". It would just be a closed thread with a line saying "what you're playing, it's not a mode".

You should do that. Seriously.
Quote by AlanHB

You have officially achieved the rank of "Hero". Good job, sir! Well done!
Quote by AlanHB

man I thought the axeman had a good idea then i realized that you had a much better one hahaha you win sir
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
That original composition is a better tool for learning than copying the music of others.
Quote by AlanHB

#2 wins!!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
How about having one OPEN mode thread, that would stop thread after thread on the same stuff.
i believe awareness is the most important thing to be taught.

if you are teaching but having a bad day, feeling resentful ,stressed or similar.i suggest you take some time to chillax !

to teach well, you have to be focused; as the most important thing a student can learn, is to be self aware !