i think this is the third thread i have posted on this in the last year, as my interest in shredding waxes and wanes, but here it goes.

i don't want to spend more than $1000, as i need money for some amps i will be building.

i live in tampa and troll craigslist constantly, not too many mid-high end shredder-esque guitars on CL around here.

i will not buy a guitar over ebay unless it is literally new in box, as i have to feel the guitar to know if i like it.

i have owned as many as 36-38 guitars at one point and am down to 12 electrics now, 2 Gibby LP's 2 Gibby SG's, 2 Gibby Sonex's, Fender Strat, Peavey Wolfgang X2 1 hardtail, one floyd, a Fender Showmater, and likely another one or two i am forgetting atm.

i don't want to hear everybody ssay "you have so many guitars why do you need another!" or any of that.

the Wolfgang Flyod is perfect save for two things, i want a guitar with a tremolo that is full floating (up and down), and the neck is a little thick for some purposes.

i would prefer 24 frets.

i want it a "normal" body shape, superstrat type thing or maybe EBMM, but nothing overly pointy

it needs to have a GOOD floyd that would preferrably go up and down

regular ibanez necks are a little on the thin side, but i would most likely be able to adapt. but if you can find a neck just a hair thicker, it would be great.

i really liked the neck on my old jackson DKMGT, but for some reason i wasn't a huge fan of the guitar.

pickups don't matter. becuause i will change them if i want to. not a big deal.

i dont know, let the creative juices start flowing...

thanks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
ohhhh, and i really like this charvel ( http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/So-Cal-Style-1-HH-Electric-Guitar.site1prodH65801.product ) but it only has 22 frets and the trem is surface mounted, just like the wolfgang.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I was going to suggest a Jackson DKMG, but if you didn't like your other Jackson so much
I know I love mine to death
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Cyngus
maybe a jackson soloist?

If he can find one under $1000
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
I was going to suggest a Jackson DKMG, but if you didn't like your other Jackson so much

i have kind of been thinking that i am going to end up with an ibby in the end, because it is closest to what i am looking for, its just i really am not a fan of thin necks, but i can adapt.

then too, which are the good trems on the ibbys?

how is your presteige?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Koshman32
If he can find one under $1000

this is $1100 new in one finish (which happens to be my preference anyway), so used if there is one around i could get one pretty cheap.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/SLAT3-6-Soloist-Archtop-Electric-Guitar.site1prod584381.product
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well, I'd not limit to $1000, just a bit more will get you a nice new Prestige (you'd probably have to swap pups though) or USA Jackson.
if i were you, id save up the money and buy either a usa soloist or an RR1.

but if you don't want to save up, then i think the DBZ "dark side of DBZ" (i.e. bird of prey [razorback-ish type], venom [V style] guitars are relatively inexpensive.

schecter makes some pretty bitchin guitars as well, such as the hellraiser C1 FR. i like the "ultra access" neck cause it feels a lot like a neck thru. although both of the ladder are imports
To be honest, you could just upgrade the pickups in your Strat to some Dimarzio's stacks and that would be pretty decent for shred, just look at artists like Malmsteen.
Ltd H-1000FR would do you nicely maybe swap the EMGs out for some SDs or BKPs if you've got the cash.

you could easily get a decent used Prestige Ibby tho i think. i got an RG1527 for £450 which is well under $700 so maybe look into the mid range ones like the RG2550 and RG2570??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
i am not saving more money for this at this time. the amps i am building are more importiant to me than the guitar. i would really like to spend less.

honestly if i could find something solid for $600 used i would be thrilled.

this guitar would be more of a temporary guitar anyways. just until i get my hands on an anderson or suhr.

6stringsin - i gotta check your links still, i just dont have the time atm.

tempoe - i know i can get a pristeige for less than a grand. same goes for a USA jackson, provided they are both used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 6stringsin

not really an LTD fan. i have owned a couple of them, but wouldn't ever considering getting another.

webwamiller - i would prefer not to go carvin. i have played a few and they have felt nice, but for my budget i could do way better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
how are the pickups in prestieges?

i am sure i will want them out eventually, but are they tolerable for a little while at least?

could somebody kind of give me a breakdown of Ibanez Prestige models in differences and price. more the RG type, not a fan of the S type.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
ever try a SE24? the neck widths just about inbetween a 60's LP and the ibanez ones. not sure if the bridge bends both ways but its a great trem system
Quote by trashedlostfdup
webwamiller - i would prefer not to go carvin. i have played a few and they have felt nice, but for my budget i could do way better.

Interesting....please let me know what assembly line guitar at/under $1000 you think can beat a custom Carvin?
Prestige are alright, new they're kinda meh valuewise when you can get some cool ibby mij used and even use prestiges ya.

RG570s/550s/770s etc are all awesome for the trem and stuff but they have there thinnest neck even thinner then most of the prestiges today. They can be had for alot less used though and are pretty common..

If you're CL is pretty active im sure one will pop up eventually within a radius of your house.

I dont know why people are suggesting DKMGs he said good trem. lol

The BC Rich Assassins are kinda soloist style things that you should be able to get new. They have the korean floyd on them which is decent and should be well under budget. Some come with emgs others come with rockfields (that zoltan guys sig) decent enough guitars like.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by Koshman32

I really like mine as well.

maybe he needs to try another one?
Quote by webwarmiller
Interesting....please let me know what assembly line guitar at/under $1000 you think can beat a custom Carvin?

first first off, i said i didn't like the ones i had played. that should be enough for you there without your douchebagerry to post that.

first off, i don't plan on buying new. i just plan on being able to touch it before i fork out a grand if i am buying used.

for $1000 or less, i could buy a used ESP Eclipse II (on CL a few days ago), i found a RG550 that was the first year made for $500 (its pink though, and i am not really into gaudy colored guitars), a PRS Mira or PRS CE from time to time (wouldn't have the trem though, but that isn't 100% necessary. hell, there was even this double cut LP one time (obvioulsy didn't have a trem) i saw this kid going nuts on. it was like a double take type thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
How about a used ESP M-II? Pretty common for under a grand used, has a neck thicker than that of an Ibanez and looks shreddy aswell, especially the one with maple fingerboard.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have kind of been thinking that i am going to end up with an ibby in the end, because it is closest to what i am looking for, its just i really am not a fan of thin necks, but i can adapt.

then too, which are the good trems on the ibbys?

how is your presteige?

I like my prestige. But I'm like you, I normally don't like the super thin Ibanez neck. But since it's a 7 string, the thinner, wider neck feels great in my hand.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by coolstoryangus
I dont know why people are suggesting DKMGs he said good trem. lol

I don't know why you think the DKMG doesn't have a good trem. Just cause it's a licensed floyd doesn't mean it's not any good. I put mine through hell and back and it holds tune perfectly.

Quote by voleurz
I really like mine as well.

maybe he needs to try another one?

I think he should too. It's a great guitar. Not overly thin neck, good trem, if you like active pickups it has them (I know pickups aren't important to TS). Try another one out.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by Koshman32
I don't know why you think the DKMG doesn't have a good trem. Just cause it's a licensed floyd doesn't mean it's not any good. I put mine through hell and back and it holds tune perfectly.

They are "decent" trems, my DK2 holds tune well, but they won't flutter...at least none iv'e tried, so that tells you a bit about their sensitivity/precision. My Edge zero is way better (after you take off the tremolono thingy) , it also just feels better, and they are both set up perfectly. TS as for the Prestige pups, if they are Ibanez IBZ or whatever, they pretty much suck. They put them in to make it cheaper knowing that most people will replace them with their preference. They will be ok but after you replace them you will start to really love the guitar. I bought mine used and it had Evo's already, for $650, it's a 1550 I think but it has the fin inlays so I don't really know what it is.
Last edited by Tempoe at Apr 9, 2011,
Jacksons are nice guitars, but the necks are pretty wide compared to other guitars, in my opinon. I'd definately look into a Jackson, Ibanez or mabie a Dean. Michael Angelo Batio has a signature Dean that looks pretty nice!