Okay, so my band is (provided we sell enough tickets) playing a show in late may that we need to sell at least 30 tickets to play in.

I've run into major problems selling tickets, though. Any advice on selling tix?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Give away the tickets. If people like the show they will pay next time you play. (Its how michael buble got people to hear his music, and i would copy anybody with that success, dispite the different genre of music.)
shows like that are a scam because they never pay.

sell 30 tixs at 10 a pop thats 300 bucks
do that times 5 bands
1500 bucks and you dont get a dime and you do all of the work.

tell the promoter to lick your sack and sell his or her own tickets.
IMO if you aint getting paid its not worth it.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
yeah advertise loads!!

give away your tickets for the first couple of shows then you should get recognised a bit better
Originally Posted by jazar94
Oh God, anal masturbation with a banana.
Wait...
**** YEAH! ANAL MASTURBATION WITH A BANANA!

Quote by Silent Murder
This man knows his cleaning essentials.

It'll smell nice afterwards too
Quote by the_white_bunny
shows like that are a scam because they never pay.

sell 30 tixs at 10 a pop thats 300 bucks
do that times 5 bands
1500 bucks and you dont get a dime and you do all of the work.

tell the promoter to lick your sack and sell his or her own tickets.
IMO if you aint getting paid its not worth it.

If you're an originals band starting out, getting paid is damn near impossible. It's all about advertisement. Obviously the club will make money off of it - but they have to consider that, if they let an inexperienced band play on a good night, they have to compensate for the loss of income from people coming to see more popular bands, the loss of income from lack of bar sales (considering most bands that have to sell tickets are predominantly minors and as such have friends who can't buy or consume alcohol), and finally the general loss of income from regular accidents that can happen and from possibly scaring away customers with bad shows.

You have to start somewhere, and the ticket selling system is a great way for bars to get local bands playing, make money, and insure their own asses so they can stay in business. Just because the system works and exposes bands that may not otherwise have got a slot doesn't make them greedy.

Not all bands can afford demos, insane marketing, and the equipment/permits/etc. required to host their own shows that allow bars to gauge their skill and popularity.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
If you're an originals band starting out, getting paid is damn near impossible. It's all about advertisement. Obviously the club will make money off of it - but they have to consider that, if they let an inexperienced band play on a good night, they have to compensate for the loss of income from people coming to see more popular bands, the loss of income from lack of bar sales (considering most bands that have to sell tickets are predominantly minors and as such have friends who can't buy or consume alcohol), and finally the general loss of income from regular accidents that can happen and from possibly scaring away customers with bad shows.

You have to start somewhere, and the ticket selling system is a great way for bars to get local bands playing, make money, and insure their own asses so they can stay in business. Just because the system works and exposes bands that may not otherwise have got a slot doesn't make them greedy.

Not all bands can afford demos, insane marketing, and the equipment/permits/etc. required to host their own shows that allow bars to gauge their skill and popularity.

i get your point but its a horrid system.
when i did shows every band got paid and i still made almost a a grand in pocket.
its greed, you could pay each band 50 bucks if they are making you 300 each and still make money.

its a total scam.
"we will get you on this show if you sell 30 tixs"
is the same thing as saying
do my job of promoting shows for free and then come play for free.
and maybe you will get 3 new fans out of it.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
i get your point but its a horrid system.
when i did shows every band got paid and i still made almost a a grand in pocket.
its greed, you could pay each band 50 bucks if they are making you 300 each and still make money.

its a total scam.
"we will get you on this show if you sell 30 tixs"
is the same thing as saying
do my job of promoting shows for free and then come play for free.
and maybe you will get 3 new fans out of it.

It's music. Everything's a scam. When you're playing stadiums, you can call the shots. In this case, the ball's all in the venue owner's court.
modes are a social construct
some times bands need to nut up and boycott venues, that happened here to a local venue and now they are out of business, and they where running this same kind of deal.

so no you dont always have to bend over and take it like a good bitch, but you do need others on your side. no pay no play.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
some times bands need to nut up and boycott venues, that happened here to a local venue and now they are out of business, and they where running this same kind of deal.

so no you dont always have to bend over and take it like a good bitch, but you do need others on your side. no pay no play.

I wish I could... I'm not calling the shots in this band.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
This is why you put on your own shows. Forget playing at places like that, hardly worth it in most cases, because they are scams and they are just looking to make some easy cash off of some inexperienced bands.

Until you can play in some better venues, and venues want YOU to play there. You need to play as many small local shows as you can, play parties, make your own shows as I suggested.

Find two or three other bands around you and go in on getting a PA and renting out a space to put on a show. There are plenty of places everywhere to do this. Then you charge for entry yourself, ideally just making your money back. Get local businesses involved, raffle off sh*t, go to the local news or paper saying your doing a fundraiser and giving all proceeds to charity. You need to create buzz, and jumping into somebody elses ring is not the way to do it.

On topic though - 30 tickets really isn't that many. Between family and friends that should be no problem. We'll just say there are 4 people in your band, I think everyone of you knows at least 7 people that you could sell them too. If not, there's going to be some issues getting off the ground in the first place
FIRST OFF: It doesn't sound like a scam. I host local shows in my city, and as a promoter, there are a lot of overhead costs that need to be met just to put on a show.

You have to pay to rent the venue, you have to pay the sound guy, you have to pay security, you have to pay someone to take tickets at the door, you have to pay to get tickets printed, and you have to pay the bands. If every band rolls up and doesn't have many tickets sold, not only do you not make any money, you are paying money out of YOUR pocket because you gave some guys an opportunity to play and they didn't take it seriously.

Yes, there are companies out there that do run pay-to-play scams on bands, and you should beware of them, but not every venue that asks you to sell a minimum number of tickets is trying to trick you.

I don't know how your scene is, but in my town, getting an opportunity to play a legitimate venue is pretty hard and you have to make a good impression if you want to play again. Bands that take for granted the people giving THEM the opportunity to play rockstar don't get shows again.

Sorry for ranting, I just have to deal with a lot of bands that expect promoters to do all the work so they can just waltz in to a packed house, rock out, and then get paid for essentially just having fun.

A band that puts in as much (or more) work as the promoter will be asked to play again. I guarantee it.

SECONDLY:
If you are having trouble selling tickets, try discounting the price and paying a little out of pocket just to increase sales. For example, say you have to sell the tickets for $8 a piece. Tell people they are $4 and cover the other $4 yourself. It might seem like a pain but it works.

Also, hype the show up like a big party. Convince people that they will have a lot of fun by coming to the show. People always want to know what's in it for them.
Quote by nouse4aname125
well. do you have 30 friends?

This. I mean if you cant sell 30 tickets to a show you're playing, how are you going to play a worthwhile show?

Concerts cost $$$ to put on. Most venues (especially where I live) want you to have an average draw of about 50 people to even get booked. If they can't see that you're going to make money, why bother booking you?

I mean if 3 bands sell a total of 30 tickets at $5 a piece, thats $150 made off the door charge. Consider the power consumption of running a sound system and various amps and stuff, cost of the building & insurance in case shit happens. Its a lot more than $150.

Yes, it does suck to have to sell 30 tickets but if you cant bring people to your show, why play one in the first place?
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Yes- we've all been there. The time I agreed to do that was when we were opening for Hammerfall, and at that point we had to sell 10 tickets at $20 a pop = $200 dollars. And we got to open for Hammerfall, make a good impression and play for a large crowd.

In sum, yes your show is probably a rip. Anything that's pay to play like that better be a good deal.

However, since your gonna do it here's a plan:

(1) do your best to sell as many tickets as possible. Show up underselling, chances are they will let you play anyway. They're still making bank from the people that didn't buy tickets from you that sold anyway. Then there's the people that come in the door, just looking for a place to hang, they may not know any of the bands, but by just having an event the venue has a reason to host these people. Then there's the time factor, you guys will be on stage for 30 minutes or so; for that 30 minutes, they don't have to kick people out and people have a reason to stay at the venue and buy more drinks, food, etc.

(2) If you want to sell the tickets. I'd say host a party. People latch onto bands because they think three things: "SEX, DRUGS, AND ROCK&ROLL". Throw a party, and ask people at the party to buy tickets. If its a raving party, people will be like wow, I want to do this again, and get another chance to tap that girl next to me. They may buy anyway to pay tribute to the host (your band).

hope that helps.
Last edited by Riffman15 at Apr 13, 2011,
My band also struggles with this topic. In my experience in dealing with promoters and the industry in general this whole topic boils down to a few common sense business principles. First of all if you are in a band and are looking to play live you simply are going to have to accept the fact that you will be dealing with people and situations in this industry that are unfair and dishonest. So you need to watch out for number one and always conduct yourselft professionaly despite how unfair you feel the situation is. Second as far as tickets go this is always a concern for bands depsite their level of popularity. It falls under marketing and promotion. Even if you reach the point where you are not directly selling tickets and have a mangager, booking agent, etc a band is still concerned with their draw and how they can expand their fan base. So the issue never goes away. Smart bands are always looking for ways to expand their fanbase wether it is certain tour packagers or special promotions. As a band just starting out i suggest playing as many places that don't require ticket sales at first to get your name out there. If that isn't possible then consider buying out your tickets and giving them away to complete strangers if need be. Obviously you don't wanna do this alot but at first anything goes. Yes it is basically paying to play but it really is no different than starting up any other type of business. At first you have to put in your own money without a return until you get your product out to the masses and it catches on. This goes for your recordings and merchandise as well. It all goes to the common goal of building your band up. Bottom line is this. You need to run your band like a business and realize that nothing and i mean nothing is gonna come easy or free. This isnt meant to deter you from anything but we musicians need to put aside the idea that this should all be easy because we have desire, passion, and talent.
When i was selling my tickets (which is a terrible idea) I would just head to all the popular hang out spots.

The mall, skatepark, beach, downtown, blehblehbleh and just sell my tickets to anyone who would buy.

Oh and ask your grandma.. grandmas ALWAYS buy tickets