Hey guys

Id like to get my self a better amp i like the one i have lots a old Marshall valve staff VS30R. cost 100 pounds its great etc its a 100 watts i think but its not a tube amp and my friend thinks that if you have a good guitar its best to also upgrade your amp because your not losing the potential sound that a lesser amp may not produce .so which one is best guys in your opinion?£500 is the budget can this buy anything descent? I am newbie so i have no idea
i will be playing a prs 2004 22 McCarty stop tail and maybe a Gibson Les Paul not sure which one im on the hunt for one at the moment but will have to see if anyone out there will buy my right arm so i can afford one as far as tone goes i don't have a clue i guess a all rounder maybe would be best for me what do you think is best?
ah nice metal is not my thing so this is a help full suggestion thanksis peavey a good make?
is the peavey 30 watts i want 100 watts or above really or would 30 watts be enough?
Quote by Rosewood55
ah nice metal is not my thing so this is a help full suggestion thanksis peavey a good make?

Peavey are pretty well respected in the mid to high price gear market.
The Classic 30 is actually heavily based on the Vox AC30 which sells for around £750 - £1200 depending on the model.
The Classic 30 really does hold its own in its price range though and should give you great clean and overdriven tones as well as being compatable with a vast range of effect pedals you may use in future.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by Rosewood55
is the peavey 30 watts i want 100 watts or above really or would 30 watts be enough?

You must remember that a Valve amplifier cuts through a mix much better than a solid state one, making it seem louder.
For example, my 20 watt all tube Ampeg is much louder sounding than the 100 watt solid state Marshall amp I had before it. I have no problems using it in a gigging situation, having to keep volume at around 4 or 5.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
oh i see nice so this seems like a good buy is it good for gigging not the end of the world if its not as im miles away from that stage any way ?also its a tube amp is that right and it will sound better than my marshall solid state?
Have a look at some oranges. Maybe look used. I love my tiny terror.
This thread is infuriating.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Then we can actually help you.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Rosewood55
is the Peavey 30 watts i want 100 watts or above really or would 30 watts be enough?

Ya want all tube? Cuz if you're playing in a bedroom 30w is all you need, 100w you're going to need to blow your ears to get its max power. $500 is okay but if you could bump it to $600 you could buy a Peavey 6505+ Combo Yes it says $799 but that's MRSP

The 6505+ is the MOST powerful tube amp I own, it's 60w enough to do small gigs and for bedroom play. Nice cleans + Badass crunchiness!!

If you can't bump your budget, I'd suggest a VOX, the $500 and under are small but pack a powerful punch.

I'd Highly suggest going to your closest dealer and trying every single tube they got in stock. Goodluck fellow musician
???
Yeah tom

me budget is 500 to 600 pounds max.

genres im all over the place led zeplin .pink floyd eric johnson .white stripes etc.ofc i try to playsome of these songs and fail
new

it wont be for gigging just at home and with my female drummer mate

or used i dont care so long as its working and not covered in filth

my current gear is a 2004 22 prs Mccarty stoptail using the amp i mentioned above and i use a line 6 pod xt live thats all my gear

and i live in england near bristol
solidrane

u should sell amps for a living u make me want to buy that amp right this second
I love these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Engl-Screamer-50-Vintage-Tube-Amp-/180649649280?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2a0f8ee480#ht_500wt_1156

but you could also look into..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIVERA-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-1-X-12-COMBO-60W-VALVE-AMP-/190517880280?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c5bc025d8#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orange-Thunder-30-TH30-Twin-Channel-1x12-Amp-NEW-/190520418340?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2c5be6e024#ht_3473wt_909

Though this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tube-Amp-Head-Peavey-Ultra-60-/220764633248?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item336698f8a0#ht_500wt_1156

+

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Framus-Guitar-Amp-Cabinet-2-x-12-/290549225278?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item43a615573e#ht_582wt_1139

That Ultra is a 3 Channel tube amp and it is the precursor to the XXX/3120 which is one of the best amplifiers Peavey have ever built.

Fopr £150 that is a ridiculous steal. I might buy it if you dont....

Plus that framus cab you would have an incredible setup that would probably last you for your musical career unless you suddenly want to play the blues and even then, the Ultra would be convincing.

Dont let the 100 watts put you off, it has a master volume and amps like that dont need to be cranked to sound good.

Slightly oversized, but an incredible setup.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Apr 7, 2011,
Quote by Rosewood55
voleurz

my friend mentioned a orange so there pretty sweet then

I like mine. try one out anyways.
yeah thanks for all the input guys i have a few good makes names prices specs to consider now of i go to try some out me thinks
holy carp, this has to be the first recorded instance of someone posting on this forum where their friend told them something which was actually sensible.

to your friend.

If you're willing to wait, and buy online from germany, thomann is getting the traynor ycv50b back into stock in may, for around £400 (depends on the exchange rate).

That's what I'd get.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ Lovin' the Traynor eh Dave?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by DroptuneD
^^ Lovin' the Traynor eh Dave?

he's a fanboi
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30

Knew that was coming Dave.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
well i mean it's just a good deal... look at what else you can get in europe for £400. You can't even get a laney vc30 for that now (which was the previous go-to classic rock combo in the UK when it was £300... not so much now it's the guts of £500 o_O ).

FWIW i like the screamer too, but for what he's playing I'm not sure the traynor is any worse (maybe even slightly better), and it's half the price, so...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh yeah defo

just feels like your second coming or something, your alway waiting for them

you better buy one if they get them in stock Dave

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah i just think they're good value.

I'd have got one by now if I hadn't got the laney gh50- I think they're too similar to really justify both. I mean I'm not that worried the laney was a good deal too. But yeah if i'd missed the laney I'd have the traynor by now
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

I know which I would rather have. I might buy that Ultra up there....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That ultra setup is steal. I paid £200 for my ultra plus and i love it. It's probably polluted my view of high gain american style amps since i like it so much and got it for so little.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure its the best choice for the artists the TS mentioned. I'm a metal guy haha. It can do most sounds it just excels at the higher gain stuff on the ultra channel and 80s on the crunch

The traynor and classic or maybe orange or any other amp that goes more towards the vintage type tones would probably be better suited.
yeah i really lean towards vintage tones it seems that s why i got the McCarty seemed a good choice.