Hey guys, new member... first post here.

Not sure if this is the right place, but...

I finally trashed my peavey mixer amp, blown out and had a nasty tear in the cone I patched up, and picked up a Peavey 30 watt vypyr head. I don't have a speaker for it yet, and want to pick up a decent quality headset to use with it. I have no idea what to look for, so if anyone could set me up with a recommendation or something, thats not too high on the price (>100$) that'd be helpful.

Thanks
You need a cab to run the head. You can't just do a head + headphones, unless you happen to have either a 4/8/16 ohm set lying around...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
they make 30 watt vypyr heads? regardless, you can't run an amp without a speaker cabinet, so just wait until you can afford one
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
they make 30 watt vypyr heads? regardless, you can't run an amp without a speaker cabinet, so just wait until you can afford one

I've done it with my head. The headphone jack cuts the ouput to the amp when plugged in. I played it this way for a couple months until I got a cab.

TS, I have Sony MDR-150(?) headphones. I paid just under $20 at Walmart for them, and they have withstood incredible abuse. I use them for solo practice, and was very surprised at their clarity and bottom end response. They definitely exceeded my expectations. I also use them as monitor phones from my mixer for recording.

They sound great, cost only a little.
MOST of the time when they put a headphone jack on an amp it cuts the speaker out of the circuit, which is probably the case here. I would check the manual to make sure before doing it though. Would suck to fry the OT on your new head.

I'd say just go to guitar center, or somewhere they sell that kind of headphones and try several pair. I'd go for comfort over sound quality TBH. If you're gonna be jamming on them for long periods of time you'll want something that doesn't hurt your ears after 5 minutes.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
>$100usd won't even get you a decent 1x12.

Maybe a poop 1x12, but that's it.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
>$100usd won't even get you a decent 1x12.

Maybe a poop 1x12, but that's it.

If you read the OP, he wants a pair of headphones for <$100, not a cab.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
If you read the OP, he wants a pair of headphones for <$100, not a cab.

Read it the other way around, sorry bout that.

Sennheiser HD headsets.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I know this is stretching the budget a tiny bit (about $120 on amazon apparently).
I'd recommend a pair of AKG 142 HD. I use these daily for hours on end for both guitar and mixing tracks in logic and they are incredibly comfortable.
They are open headphones, so they don't block out too much sound, so they are useless for drumming applications, but they work great for guitar.
Clarity is incredibly good in these, they're about the best I've listened to for sure.
Them being open also makes them a lot more comfortable than a closed pair imo.

It's well worth investing in good headphones if you plan on playing through them.
Quote by jpatan
MOST of the time when they put a headphone jack on an amp it cuts the speaker out of the circuit, which is probably the case here. I would check the manual to make sure before doing it though. Would suck to fry the OT on your new head.

I'd say just go to guitar center, or somewhere they sell that kind of headphones and try several pair. I'd go for comfort over sound quality TBH. If you're gonna be jamming on them for long periods of time you'll want something that doesn't hurt your ears after 5 minutes.

There's no OT on ss heads AFAIK
+1 to Sennheiser. I have had a pair of HD-280s for a few weeks, and I love 'em!
However, all headphones sound like crap through the Vypyr. I've tried $300 dollar Dr Dre's, Bose, AKG, Sennheiser, Apple ear buds, Sony's, and Skullcandy, and it always end up sounding really small and compressed. Me no likey.
Sennheiser sounded the best though.
Well before you buy any headphones, STAY AWAY FROM BOSE!!! Bose products are cheaply made and don't sound as good as the price that is put on them. Read this post for a better explanation.

Defiantly look into the Sennheiser HD series. I have a pair of the HD 201's that I got for $20 that sound better than anything made by Bose. Since you have $100 to spend, look into either the HD-555 or the HD-280.