If it doesn't work, that might be a red flag.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
if the guy says he's done any mods to it, and doesn't seem like he would do a good job modding.

just out of curiousity, is it one of the newer evh 5150s or the older peavey ones?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
If you hear any scratchy noises while you turn the knobs, that could be a problem...

Ask him how old the tubes are, if the speakers have been changed, etc. Also ask him if the amp's had any issues in the past.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If you hear any scratchy noises while you turn the knobs, that could be a problem...

Ask him how old the tubes are, if the speakers have been changed, etc. Also ask him if the amp's had any issues in the past.

why scratchy noises?
Quote by vincelombard
why scratchy noises?

scratchy/dirty pots
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by vincelombard
cant you just easily clean them?

Not really. Contact cleaner delays replacing them but they're scratchy because the conductive material is starting to wear away and giving you intermittent contact.

It can't be fixed so you have to replace the pot.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
be weary of the brootz it produces dropkicking your candy ass
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Raijouta

Not necesarily...
All it takes is just spraying some control cleaner(contact cleaner) in the pot and the crackle should go away, unless the pot is ****ed which in that case it'll just be draining a couple of caps then desoldering three wires, taking the pot out putting the new one in and soldering the three wires onto it.
..I was watching my death.