Ok so I have run into a problem where it feels like every sweep I write follow the same pattern and always sound similar. I would like to learn some more patterns but am not sure how to go about selecting my note. For example if my root is in D i will pretty much just appregiate the chord name note for note, what are some other ways to approach it.
Quote by wretchedspawn
Ok so I have run into a problem where it feels like every sweep I write follow the same pattern and always sound similar. I would like to learn some more patterns but am not sure how to go about selecting my note. For example if my root is in D i will pretty much just appregiate the chord name note for note, what are some other ways to approach it.

try not to use sweep picking,use tapping,string skipping,legato,alternate picking or whatever tecnique or maybe don't think an arpeggio like a pattern to play extremely fast over chords,instead use it as a melodic tool to improvise over backing track..70% of the greatest melodies are sometimes just the note of the chord
That's just arpeggios. There's not much you can do outside of adding new notes to them. My advice is to try to adapt your sweeping arpeggios to chord progressions like a typical G - C - D, or add passing tones to them.

But of course don't limit yourself to simple progressions like the one I just showed. Get creative and make some musical ideas out of it by adapting the patterns you know to some songs you like to play.
Do you know how to name the notes of any given chord? If so, just experiment with them in different orders. For example, if you are used to playing a m9 arpeggio like 1 b3 5 b7 9, try 1 5 b7 9 b3 instead.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea