hi guys, im looking to buy an amp head... Orange tiny terror to be exact (15W)
what i want to know is how the head works as far as what it can power? how much watt cab can it power? is there a certain amount that it doesnt become strong enough to push the cab to its full potential? if so what is that limit? is there an ideal watt cab to put wit a 15W head?

and when you put a cab that has a lower wattage than the head thats when you will blow the speakers right? (just asked this one for confirmation as i am curious)

hope these aren't stupid questions that get asked alot... i am new to this forum and the theory behind amplifiers but no stranger to forums in general so i did make sure to see if i could find anything on this first but i didn't!

thanks in advance guys,

L
Last edited by igotthesebeats at Apr 7, 2011,
The wattage of the cab doesn't matter, as long as it is equal to or greater than the wattage of the amp. You'd even be fine with a cab rated slightly below what the head is rated, but it's usually best to not do that, just in case, because there is a possibility you could blow the speakers.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The wattage of the cab doesn't matter, as long as it is equal to or greater than the wattage of the amp. You'd even be fine with a cab rated slightly below what the head is rated, but it's usually best to not do that, just in case, because there is a possibility you could blow the speakers.

thanks dude! ive got a real old school cab 4x12 high.. picked it up out the front of the salvos just sitting there... now to buy my tiny teror head!

one more question if you could help... are valve amps and tube amps exactly the same thing?
Quote by Offworld92
Actually, it's generally better to have a cab that's higher wattage than the head, since when you crank a head, you're gonna put out more wattage than what it's rated for. That's just headroom. Granted, I don't think he's gonna be running into a 15 watt cab so I don't think he has much to worry about.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
From, what I experience, ott's sound very good with Celestion Greenbacks. (25w)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Fender Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe
- Crybaby->EBVPJr->TU-2->TS9->OCD->NS-2->DD-20->DL4->RV-5
Quote by igotthesebeats
thanks dude! ive got a real old school cab 4x12 high.. picked it up out the front of the salvos just sitting there... now to buy my tiny teror head!

one more question if you could help... are valve amps and tube amps exactly the same thing?

What ohm Cab is that 4x12?

Make sure the head supports that, with a matching out on the back of the head.
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
What ohm Cab is that 4x12?

Make sure the head supports that, with a matching out on the back of the head.

im not sure mate. its a very old school cab i but all i know is it is 4x12... no stickers or anything, any way i can find this out?
Quote by greeny23
check the actual speakers.

Right, and see how they're wired. You should be able to compute the ohmage from this observation.

I would go twice the wattage of the amp for the speakers. Also use the highest ohm of the amp and rewire the cab to match it if you can.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+