So yesterday I posted a thread about a problem with my amp, and it was a fuse.
After replacing the fuse, my amp just didnt sound the same. And I knew there was no way it was from the fuse.

Well a power tube is out basicallyI(ts not glowing blue anymore). I think thats what tripped the fuse(Maybe?)

So I need some new power amp tubes. I play mostly Tool, Incubus, etc. So I need nice cleans and overdriven tones. Budget isnt that much of an issue, but the less i spend on tubes, the more i have for a new guitar

Oh, and another quick question, can I safely run my amp on three power tubes? Id hate not to be able to play my baby!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: The amp is my JCM 2000
EDIT2: Its an EL34 amp
Last edited by nickdohle at Apr 7, 2011,
You can't run it on 3 power tubes but you can on 2. The tubes are in sets so if we have tubes 1 2 3 4, then if 2 is faulty you can remove 3 and the amp will still run (albeit at a lower power) and if 1 is faulty you can remove 4
What amp? The DSL?

SED =C= brah.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
if you pull two tubes (meaning you have two tubes in there) so you would be running on the duet of good tubes, you would have to cut the ohms. half power=half ohms.

however i do not know if it is safe to do this on your amp. i just have done so on mine that i know are safe. so keep in the functioning duet and cut the ohms in half to cut the power in half.

half power=half ohms. if it is for sure safe for you amp (meaning i don't know, ask somebody else).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My amp has 4 and 8 ohm options. I run it on 4, so how would i go about cutting the ohms in half?
^ Can't do it, unless you're comfortable with a mismatch.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
That blows hard core. ****. Well, are Ruby Tubes worth the extra price? Or should i settle for JJs or Sovteks?
TBH if you're talking about power tubes, the only decent EL34 is the winged C. JJs are too dark and Sovteks just plain suck.

If you don't have the money for SEDs, though, I'd go with a quad of Sino or Shuguang (same company, different name depending on distributor) EL34s.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Apr 7, 2011,
Thanks Bubbs. The ruby tube set i was looking at, were actually rebranded SED =C= so ill probably get some.

Thanks everyone else!
i like the set of JJ's i have. =C= are always nice too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/