Alright guys, I'll follow the formula.

Budget? - ~$200

Genres? - I play mostly classic rock. I need a good clean with my guitar turned down, but the highest gain song in our set is probably Working Man, and the rest of the songs are around AC/DC or Led Zeppelin amount of gain.

New or Used? - I think I would prefer new, but used is absolutely fine as long as the tubes don't need replacing.

Home or Gig? - I'm going to be playing with a whole band: singer, drums, bass, and another guitarist with a Marshall half-stack.

Closest City? - Raleigh, NC

Current Gear? - Right now I have a 65W Rogue combo amp. It's nothing special, but it gets the job done and is loud enough to play a party right now given our current equipment.

I really wanted an Epiphone Valve Jr, but they seem to be discontinued and impossible to find. The Kustom Defender looks equivalent, and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I wanted a really simple tube amp, and this seems about as simple as it gets. If it can hang for a while, then I'm sure this is what I want, but I want to know if it's good quality.
nice dude i live just inside durham. go NC. but alot of people actually like the defender for classic rock, i havnt played it but most people ive talked that have say say it is great for that sort of thing.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Look for a used Jet City 20 watt. Preferably the combo since you wont have to buy a cab + head that way

or one of the peavey classics.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Do you have FX, Stomp boxes? If not you need to put another $100-$200 with that to get a Diecent Gigable amp. And no offence, but if you are giging, you are gonna need at lest 2 ch's if you don't use any pedals. Do you have a Speaker cab? because you can get a small wattage head for relitively cheep new, under $250.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Do you have FX, Stomp boxes? If not you need to put another $100-$200 with that to get a Diecent Gigable amp. And no offence, but if you are giging, you are gonna need at lest 2 ch's if you don't use any pedals. Do you have a Speaker cab? because you can get a small wattage head for relitively cheep new, under $250.

Bullshit. I gigged for a year with nothing but a Les Paul and a single channel JCM 800.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Bullshit. I gigged for a year with nothing but a Les Paul and a single channel JCM 800.

I'm saying this because "most" people don't use the vol knob to clean up there sound, they rely on a pedal or second ch
Has a surprising amount of headroom for a 5w amp, I dimed it and it actually stayed clean with humbuckers. Had this really nice natural breakup.

However.

It didn't take distortion pedals well. Everything I tried into it had this high-end fizz on it. Overdrive pedals might work better. Also it won't be audible over a drummer unmic'd.

Verdict? Good sounding amp but the aforementioned Jet City might be a better choice.

Edit: I'm also hearing really good things about the VHT Special 6.
Last edited by papersun87 at Apr 8, 2011,
Thanks everyone, this is all really helpful.

So papersun, do you think any 5W amp like this or the Valve Jr would be loud enough in a band situation? If not, what would be a good minimum wattage to shoot for?
Quote by eelreggit
Thanks everyone, this is all really helpful.

So papersun, do you think any 5W amp like this or the Valve Jr would be loud enough in a band situation? If not, what would be a good minimum wattage to shoot for?

5 watts most likely will not be audible in a band scenario.

although if using a speaker with a very high sensitivity rating (10Xdb+) you may be able to hear yourself and another band member may be able to hear you, but a croud would not be able to.

how do i know, i run my orange at 7.5 sometimes. and pushing four V30's or 2V30's and 2GB's i can hear myself and another musician can hear me, but that is in a 14'x14' room, with a lot of hard surfaces.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
As of right now, we aren't miking anything, so I'll take your word for it, both of you, that 5W wouldn't be able to hold up.

But as I said before, I have a 65W solid-state combo that holds up fine. I don't know the relative volumes of tube watts vs. solid-state watts, and I know it depends on a lot of factors, but what would this be equivalent to in a tube amp? (I'm guessing around 15-20 based on papersun's earlier response, but I just wanted to clarify what I know is audible over the band)