I've been looking for a way to record myself playing covers to upload to youtube. After trying with an old webcam and being mostly unsuccessful I came across this site.

http://learningguitarnow.com/blog/recording/how-to-record-a-video-while-playing-over-a-backing-track/

It goes over very basically what you would need to make a vid.

It mentions a video camera, this one specifically Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera

I'd like to spend below $100 dollars if possible and still get a cam that can record at 30 fps with 16:9 aspect ratio, doesn't necessarily have to be in HD.
I also am a bit concerned with the shape of that cam, doesn't look like it could stand up on it's own so i'm not sure if it's the best choice for recording myself playing guitar.

TL;DR Looking for a video camera that can record at 30 fps with 16:9 aspect ratio, preferably under $100 to record decent/good quality guitar covers.

Any/all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Just save up and buy a ****ing Zi8. They're about $100 right now.

I personally own one. Kicks the shit out of the flips, records in 720p at 60FPS (which is an amazing picture). They stand up on their own but you can buy a desk camera stand at pretty much any store for $6. There is nothing better on the market than it (in before "OMG! FLIPS ARE BETTER!", I can give you 5 reasons why they aren't)
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Just save up and buy a ****ing Zi8. They're about $100 right now.

I personally own one. Kicks the shit out of the flips, records in 720p at 60FPS (which is an amazing picture). They stand up on their own but you can buy a desk camera stand at pretty much any store for $6. There is nothing better on the market than it (in before "OMG! FLIPS ARE BETTER!", I can give you 5 reasons why they aren't)

Listen to this guy
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
lockwolf, you saying buy the one I linked? Cause this is right out of the product details for it.

-Record High Definition video (1080p at 30 fps with 16:9 aspect ratio)

-Record ~20 min per 1 GB at 720p HD at 30 fps

So are you talking about a different cam?

*edit*

I looked up a few of the Flip cameras and they say they record in 720p with 60fps, you sure you know which camera you are recommending to me XD?
Last edited by L.A.P.D. at Apr 7, 2011,
I did some researching a little while ago because I was interested in getting one, and from what I've read the Zi8 is definitely the way to go. Better than the Flips, from what I've read.

Give this a read.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/kodak-zi8-pocket-video/4505-6500_7-33740624.html#reviewPage1

EDIT: And yes, the Zi8 records at 1080p at 30 fps, OR 720p at 60 fps.
http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/Zi8_Pocket_Video_Camera/productID.156585800
Last edited by cjmabry at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by L.A.P.D.
I looked up a few of the Flip cameras and they say they record in 720p with 60fps, you sure you know which camera you are recommending to me XD?

Maybe the newer Flips but none of the ones you see around. Trust me, I work electronics at a mass retailer (as if that means anything). Considering I spent about 40 hours a week messing around with those guys, reading reviews and selling them, I think I know what I'm talking about.

The reason why I brought up the 720p at 60FPS is that its probably the setting you are going to use the most. 1080p off of that little thing gets grainy with a lot of moment. Filming it at 720 will look a ton better with those. Besides, you don't need full 1080p for filming covers.

Also, if my word isn't proof, take a look at this vid. Its a side by side of the Flip vs the ZI8. If you look, you'll notice the color is just a lot more vivid and less washed out on the ZI8 than the Flip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hroDf1ByJ9o
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Thanks lockwolf, that def clears it up for me, i'll have a look at the Zi8.
Remember it's not just about how well the video quality is. You want to make sure the microphone in the camcorder is able to pick ups different kinds of frequencies while you record. If you buy a camera with a low end built in microphone, you will be a little bit disappointed at how it cannot pick up the louder noises. Watch my videos and you'll notice the difference in sound quality from each one.
Quote by PMichael
Remember it's not just about how well the video quality is. You want to make sure the microphone in the camcorder is able to pick ups different kinds of frequencies while you record. If you buy a camera with a low end built in microphone, you will be a little bit disappointed at how it cannot pick up the louder noises. Watch my videos and you'll notice the difference in sound quality from each one.

actually if you want to use the built in mic of the camera you need to spend thousand of dollars to get good audio,almost like the ones on tv shows..the best way to go is get a soundcard,a good camcorder and use the video of the camera and the audio recorded with the pc and then sync up everything