Hey guys,

I have my Peavey 6505 for about 2 years now and I've always played like this:

Guitar Output ---> Boss TU-3 Input / Boss TU-3 Output ---> Boss NS-2 Input / Boss NS- Output ---> Peavey 6505 Input

This setup did perfect untill recently. I bought a Maxon OD808 to boost my sound and I put i between the Boss TU-3 and the NS-2. The sound while I play is amazing and really improved...but when i stop playing there's this horrible feedback. Because I play alot of metalcore and hardcore there are a lot of breaks when I play and the feedback really messes everything up.

What can I do to get rid of the feedback but still maintain the awesome sound?

Do I put the Maxon OD 808 in de NS-2's Effects Loop?
Someone else told me to put the NS-2 in the Peavey 6505's Effects Loop and all the other pedal in front of the amp...

I've never been a tech-dude but I know some of you know the answer this question so please help me out. Would mean a lot.

Rien
http://www.myspace.com/antiiconmetal
Some people feel the NS should go right after your guitar and before everything else and others swear by it being in the effects loop. Might as well try both to see what works for you
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Move your NS around until you find a quiet spot. I think the effects loop would work just fine
Thx for the advice guys. Playing around with the pedals in front of the amp won't be a problem but i've never worked with the Peavey 6505's Effects Loop before... does it go like this:

Guitar Output --> Boss TU-3 Input / Boss TU-3 Output --> Maxon OD808 Input / Maxon OD808 Output --> Peavey 6505 Input

AND

Peavey 6505 Send --> Boss NS-2 Input / Boss NS-2 Output --> Peavey 6505 Return

??

@ effyeahjade
thx mate
how are you running your boost? what is your gain at?

most would advise running the boost with the gain low or at 0 and the vol at max or close to and tone to taste.

and for the love of god, on a 6505 you do not need the gain on the amp past 50%.

if you are doing that, you will be plenty brutal, and the noise should be perfectly controllable with the NS2
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Because your prolly trying to add gain using the pedal, which is not what you should use it for. When you add gain using a tube screamer pedal, you'll get a gainy feedback like that, cause the TS gain is actually conflicting with the amps gain(or something like that).

Set the gain to like 0-1/2 gain on the pedal, tone where ever, and the level, or volume, all the way up, which will make it act as a clean boost, making your gain tighter and punchier. And you wont have nearly as much buzz.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Apr 8, 2011,
Use your picking hand to dampen the strings when you're not playing in the middle of a song. Guitar cant feedback if the strings don't vibrate. A noise suppressor won't totally kill feedback without having an adverse effect on your tone but if set up right (as suggested above) it can make it much more manageable.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Sorry to tell y'all but my Peavey 6505's gain is at 40% and the Maxon OD 808 is set to 0% Gain and 100% Volume.

Thanks for al the tips but as you can see these are not the cause of the feedback. And justinb904...I don't know about your dampin-theory but from experience I can say that doesn't work for me. It's really when the strings are not vibrating that I get this sound...
Quote by Kriptonite_r
Sorry to tell y'all but my Peavey 6505's gain is at 40% and the Maxon OD 808 is set to 0% Gain and 100% Volume.

Thanks for al the tips but as you can see these are not the cause of the feedback. And justinb904...I don't know about your dampin-theory but from experience I can say that doesn't work for me. It's really when the strings are not vibrating that I get this sound...

good to see a sensiblie 6505 user...

do you have a bad preamp tube?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Kriptonite_r

Try using a battery with it, I use nothing but batteries, and I can usually make a 9 volt in a TS last a good 6 months with constant use. At about 6 months, it'll start to get weak and can cause feedback, but your using a power strip.

Have you ruled out dirty power? Cause all my stuff in my room runs off a Clean power monster strip and I get very little buzz.
@ trashedlostfdup

Don't think so...the amp really sounds insanely tight and massive when playing. It's really only a feedback issue.

Do you think it could be just a bad preamp? 'cause It's hasn't effected my sound in any way obviuously...

@ ethan_hanus

Wouldn't bad power suply effect my sound in general? Would be strange if it only generated feedback but leave the overall sound alone...no?
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by Kriptonite_r
@ trashedlostfdup

Don't think so...the amp really sounds insanely tight and massive when playing. It's really only a feedback issue.

Do you think it could be just a bad preamp? 'cause It's hasn't effected my sound in any way obviuously...

@ ethan_hanus

Wouldn't bad power suply effect my sound in general? Would be strange if it only generated feedback but leave the overall sound alone...no?

microphonic tubes can cause some weird things, but i am not positive it could cause what you have going on. its easy to check and you can do it yourself in less than 15 mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgrbe6A1jL0&feature=related
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Depending on how loud the feedback is, it could be a preamp tube or just natural noise. When I used my 6505, I tried probably 6 different OD's cause everyone said it made it so much better. I always had a problem with noise and I didn't find the amp needing more tightening than I could already achieve with the amps EQ + my 10 band.
make sure the NS2 isnt a tone sucker. A lot of people prefer the Gstring for $50 more.

However I went through the same thing you did and just simply stopped using my boost. I think its the Peavey they do not handle boosts well.

But again a good Noise Supressor should do the trick.

I would put it after the guitar and before the 808. Or sell the peavey now while you still can and buy a VHT
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Google "NS-2 X-pattern".
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Hey guys, thx for al the tips! I know what to do this weekend at band-practice. I've heard about the ISP G-string...but does it work as good as the ISP Decimator or is it something completely different?

I tried the x-pattern but that didn't really work out. I see you have almost the same setup as me...did you have the same problem? And does the x-pattern work for you?
The X pattern allows for more feedback and preamp noise elimination. However, when I'm riffing out like palm mutes, there's always a little feedback or "ringing" after the last note is played. I will be getting an ISP in the future for sure. I can't seem to solve this ringing noise, I hear it happens will all NS-2's.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by Kriptonite_r
Hey guys, thx for al the tips! I know what to do this weekend at band-practice. I've heard about the ISP G-string...but does it work as good as the ISP Decimator or is it something completely different?

I tried the x-pattern but that didn't really work out. I see you have almost the same setup as me...did you have the same problem? And does the x-pattern work for you?

Im not 100% sure but I think it goes like this.

There is the ISP Decimator, and then there is the ISP G-string wich I think is better.

The rack versions are ISP Decimator, and ISP Pro rack G.

Either one would be better than an NS-2 however I would at least look into the x pattern as Droptune suggested. Not sure what that does but New info is always good.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by Kriptonite_r
@ trashedlostfdup

@ ethan_hanus

Idk for sure, but it sounds like it's only limited to your TS, which would make me think that the pedal is the problem and not the amp or your power supply.

How much feedback are you talking about? Cause I know most metal guitarists want 0 feedback and they think they have to have 0 feedback in order to sound good, which is simply not true. Most metal guitarists will have feedback even through the most expensive amps, a little bit of feedback is ok, but if the feedback is almost overpowering you when you stop playing, then it becomes a problem.

I would avoid getting a noise gate, because it just covers up the problem, not actually solving it.
I've got exactly the same problem as yours. I play a Peavey 6505 over a Laboga 412 with V30's. Among my pedals is also a Maxon OD808 to spice things up, but unfortunately it renders itself useless due to the feedback.

Normally most people use it with overdrive on minimum, volume on max and tone to preference. When I use this setting, I get uncontrollable feedback. My ISP Decimator is placed after the Maxon and this amazing noise supressor can't handle it. I can only set the volume on the pedal to around 25% and then it is doable, but unfortunately that doesn't enhance my sound enough to justify a 110€ pedal... When I get the volume of the pedal way up, it really makes the sounds of the palmutes kick ass, but then it's useless in a loud band-situation. Every stop we make, my guitar feedbacks, sometimes even when I'm playing.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this? Or should I just sell the pedal and maybe buy an MXR 10-band for in the loop?
Start with only the NS2 in your signal chain (try in front and in the loop). Evaluate the feedback and see if you can get the amp quiet by itself. Then introduce one pedal at a time - running the NS before and after the pedal. Do them one at a time and evaluate. This way you can rule out what is and isnt causing the noise.
I had this same exact problem but finally got it under control and i can get the gain all the way up to like 7 now with the OD on max volume and max tone if I.... wait for it, wait for it...

Stand back like 10' away from it.. Using the noise gate in the X pattern works well for me.