Page 1 of 2
Name times when you've totally misjudged something. I'll give a couple of my examples.

I always thought I'd never like Bjork even though I had never heard her music. I just always had this feeling of what it would sound like, which was a sound I wasn't into. I checked out so of her stuff after this track she did with Plaid blew me away, and I was totally wrong about her music.

Also, I while back a made a thread that had to do with the fact that I found a Pokemon game in my desk drawer, and there's NO reason for it to have been there. I finally got around to playing it today, with an attitude like "Eh, they have all those new pokemon now. I'll probably just check it out for like 30 minutes." I played that game for 6 hours total today and I haven't played Pokemon since I was in 5th grade (I'm a sophomore in college now). Shit's off the chain. It's Diamond Version.

Share your own experiences.
*waits for "this thread, hurr"*

A long time ago I used to think The Mars Volta was boring.
And I used to think Incubus and Modest Mouse were lame indie bands.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I used to see an oddly dressed or goofy looking guy around and think, "Wow, what a fag." But then like 5 weeks later I start to know them and become friends with them. happens quite often.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
I used to think this one girl at my university was just a slut looking to find her next **** over taking care of her baby. then after giving her a ride to get milk for her baby I learned she was a good person and completely misjudged her
I tend to misjudge distances, and the probability of failure in my daily activities.

Like......"I think I can make it, it's only two feet"

Then I don't make it.

I usually misjudge people, even though I try my hardest not to completely associate people with their first impressions, as with my experience I'm usually wrong if I go on it.

Also, I misjudged drugs.
I never used to like humbuckers until I tried out a friend's Jagmaster a couple years ago, and now I own just as many guitars with HBs as Singles.

Bioshock never appealed to me until the same friend made me play through it in a weekend. Now it's one of my favorite games ever.

As far as meeting people goes, I typically have high hopes with everybody I meet so my expectations only get shoved down and not the other way around.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Angels & Airwaves. I was disgusted Tom left blink-182 and it could've been the best music ever and i still would've scoffed. Turns out, >>> IN MY OPINION <<< it is some of the best music ever and now they are my second favorite band!
Quote by Altitudinous
Angels & Airwaves. I was disgusted Tom left blink-182 and it could've been the best music ever and i still would've scoffed. Turns out, >>> IN MY OPINION <<< it is some of the best music ever and now they are my second favorite band!

hehe I'm such an elitist when it comes to this. I just don't like AVA except for like 2 or 3 songs mainly because of Tom leaving Blink
Between the Buried and Me. Didn't even give them a chance at first. Also my philosophy classes. It doesn't happen too often with people for me
Quote by The Madcap
I always thought I'd never like Bjork even though I had never heard her music.

I thought this too, but Rev posted a rec list with two of her albums on it, and they blew me away.

Weird.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I misjudged Prince. Holy goddamn, I misjudged Prince. Always thought he was just some crappy 80s singer with a couple of good songs. Did not know he was actually a musical innovator who has been ripped off by a shitload of my favorite bands.
I once judged that it would be a good idea to watch Echo and the Bunnymen while Sleater-Kinney were playing one of their final shows 300 yards away... Oh well, regrets.

Björk is consistently awesome - like Radiohead - speaking of which, relevant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V1Lov1U9mU
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by SGplayer1991
hehe I'm such an elitist when it comes to this. I just don't like AVA except for like 2 or 3 songs mainly because of Tom leaving Blink

Well....he did come back you know...

OT: I'm usually right in all my assumptions so

I was wrong about Panic! at the Disco. I used to think they were basically a dressed up Fall Out Boy, but A Fever You Can't Sweat Out is a damn good CD. The vaudeville (or something) feel they give to the second half is great.
Quote by NothingRocks
Rock and Metal music, I used to listen to rap exclusively and mocked anyone who listened to anything else. Needless to say I was 10 years old and grew out of the phase at around 12.

Which I would guess is around the time you started getting into traps...

Just goes to show how rock and metal turns people into giant faggettes.

Quote by TheBurningFish
Which I would guess is around the time you started getting into traps...

Just goes to show how rock and metal turns people into giant faggettes.

Close! I got into traps at around age 15 when I discovered Dragonforce.
Quote by blake1221
Well....he did come back you know...

OT: I'm usually right in all my assumptions so

I was wrong about Panic! at the Disco. I used to think they were basically a dressed up Fall Out Boy, but A Fever You Can't Sweat Out is a damn good CD. The vaudeville (or something) feel they give to the second half is great.

I love Panic! At the Disco

My testicles have just disappeared, however.
Quote by NothingRocks
Close! I got into traps at around age 15 when I discovered Dragonforce.

A suitable reaction face, and the dialogue at that part of the movie is extremely relevant to Dragonforce.

Definately the new Linkin Park album, I was like "Oh god, new Linkin park. Great." Then I listened to it and was pleasantly surprised. I think the track that did it for me was "When They Come For Me."
Quote by Reisgar42
I never used to like humbuckers until I tried out a friend's Jagmaster a couple years ago, and now I own just as many guitars with HBs as Singles.

Same here, except I used to be diehard hums and then got a couple of singles on a Strat.

I was like, holy crap, so that is what they mean by the word: TONE. Sweet. Now i'm diehard singles.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Last edited by mystical_1 at Apr 8, 2011,
Yeah when I first got into music, first 'rock' album I bought was Chocolate Starfish - Limp Bizkit. Sister was all like listen to this, better music.......stuck on Appetite For Destruction and I was all like....

God how I was wrong, I went to my sister bout a week later begging her to burn me a copy so I could listen over and over again
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Radiohead, I heard their early stuff mostly and found it good but not fascinating. But after that my musical taste has become more ambient/atmospheric and experimental and gone from rock in the more classic manner to a more close resemblance to Kid A, Hail To The Thief, In Rainbows and Amnesiac.

Håkan Hellström, a swedish artist I earlier used to hold a bit of a grudge against on purely egocentrical and rather immature reasons. He's extremely popular and the myth is it's mostly younger girls who like him, which I wanted to seclude myself from. But my friends got into him and I just realised his lyrics, music and energy is amazing. Now he's one of my favorite artists and is to be fair regarded as one of Swedens best artists the last 10 years if not the best and attracts attention from all peers and groups in society and not only younger romantically vain people which I wanted to seclude myself.

I assume I've matured in the sense that I put less energy into having an opinion about others who like the same music as I and more energy into why I on a personal level do so.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by D&DLover
Between the Buried and Me. Didn't even give them a chance at first. Also my philosophy classes. It doesn't happen too often with people for me

Yeah. My body just couldn't take them at first. I thought they were just noisy death metal with nothing but a love for playing as ****ing fast as possible. I was stupid. Needless to say, I had really only heard the title track of Alaska and that's pretty much it.

Funny how I hated that song, even when I started getting into them... it was my least favorite. Now I just love it to bits.
Quote by TheBurningFish

A suitable reaction face, and the dialogue at that part of the movie is extremely relevant to Dragonforce.

Oh that is brilliant!
"play it faster........PLAY IT FASTER.....FASTER"
ambush is merely another name for Camping
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Random88

What the hell has happened to your 'l' button!!!

Edit: Oh you ninja mo'fo!!

I swear people he had ';' instead of 'l'
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
What the hell has happened to your 'l' button!!!

Edit: Oh you ninja mo'fo!!

I swear people he had ';' instead of 'l'

I'm not fully awake yet, leave me alone
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
I used to think any form of metal with "extreme" vocals was stupid. My basic thought process was "How the hell can I enjoy it if I can understand what the singer is saying?"

That changed about a year after starting guitar, when I started listening more to the instruments than vocals. Now, I absolutely love black and death metal.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
T-Pain.

I hated him when I first heard his radio singles, but then I got his album, and it was AWESOME.

I love him now
My God, it's full of stars!
I used to think popular music was better because "hey, there has to be some reason no one listens to those other bands!". So much has changed from since I was 13.
I misjudged how easy this forum would be, just because I'm about fifty years older than everyone else. Age wasn't the problem, but simply because I don't know all the bands that you do - and you will never have heard of the bands in my CD collection. But I like it here anyway.

Just turn the volume up.
Up until this thread I thought Bjork was some Norwegian black metal band... No jk....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Page 1 of 2