So I recently got into the Deftones. I really love their music but I noticed that their bassist only uses a 4-string and their guitarist uses a 7 or 8 string depending on the song. Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work. I don't think playing the higher octave on the bass and the lower on the guitar would sound very good at all times. I was possibly thinking he tunes to BEAD but the guitarist uses like G# standard on his 7-string and F# standard on his 8-string.
Every Deftones song I've ever looked into playing has been playable in drop-d
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
From what i know. The 7-strings were used on their self-titled album and Saturday Night Wrist and the 8-strings on Diamond Eyes. All albums previous were 6-strings
Quote by lavalamp360
So I recently got into the Deftones. I really love their music but I noticed that their bassist only uses a 4-string and their guitarist uses a 7 or 8 string depending on the song. Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work. I don't think playing the higher octave on the bass and the lower on the guitar would sound very good at all times. I was possibly thinking he tunes to BEAD but the guitarist uses like G# standard on his 7-string and F# standard on his 8-string.

I don't think the bassist copies the guitar all that much in Deftones. I saw an interview about this once with Stef Carpenter and he just said that they've sort of always got by that way and had no need to tune the same way. He uses such a wide variety of tunings as it is that it wouldn't be practical for either Chi or Sergio to keep retuning all the time or take about 7 basses on tour.

Another example I can think of is InMe, whose bassist is always tuned DADGB (low to high) whilst the guitars switch between drop and open D tunings. Conversely, the bassist in Protest the Hero plays a 5 string tuned to Bb but the guitarists only use 6 strings in Eb. Hell, even in my band I tune to drop D in a song in which the guitars are in EBGDAA. It can be done.
maybe the bassist is so cool that he can do the work of 8 strings in 4......
You're thinking about this all wrong. Listen to the music again. Does it sound good? Yes? End of.
There's no rule that says a bass guitar must copy the electric guitar note-for-note an octave down.

Also, the bass and guitar playing in the same octave is brutal. You get the strong fundamental and first harmonics of the bass, and the guitar provides the highs.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I read that Sergio uses one bass tuned CGCF and another C#G#C#F# for all songs. I'm assuming Chi did this too.
Quote by obeythepenguin
I like to straddle the fine line between progressive and incompetent...

Me too... me too