Hello I'm a musician who's been playing guitar for about 2 years now. I'm not even half decent yet knowing mainly power chords and around 10+ clean chords and the pentatonic scale. Though I label myself as a musician because I also play drums + do vocals (Screaming for 3 and a half years now)

I was wondering what chords or power chords combinations are good for post-hardcore?

I've been trying to learn as many post-core songs as I can to try to learn what order a lot of chords fit in but really it's not working out as planned

It'd be awesome if someone could post a link to post-hardcore chords, or reply with some simple combinations.

I tried google but to no avail. All I found was stuff I already knew.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know of any sites that have post hardcore chords but I can at least give you advice on what I hear a lot in the post-hardcore/hardcore music I listen to. I find power chords with the 5th note down 1 half-step, gives a harsh sound usually used in post-hardcore or hardcore. This is a Tritone btw.

For example:

e|---- .. -----|
B|---- .. -----|
G|--7- to --7--|
D|--7- .. --6--|
A|--5- .. --5--|
E|---- .. -----|

I usually use Standard tunings but Dropped tunings work as well.
Using an open chord on the four bass strings can lead to some hardcore breakdowns. You just need to practice rhythm and timing. Seeing as your a drummer, you'll have no problem with that.

The other thing is the use of minor second chord.

Example:

e|------|
B|--14--|
G|--17--|
D|------|
A|------|
E|------|

or

e|------|
B|--10--|
G|------|
D|--8---|
A|------|
E|------|

Try and incorporate sliding techniques like Oh, Sleeper.

At 3:55
d|--------10-----------12s17----10------------10------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------10----|
F|---3s7----8-----5h7s9-----15s7---7----3s7-------8------------------0--|
C|---------------0-----------------------------------------------7--6---|
G|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
C|-0-----0-----0----------------------0------0-------0-0-3-10p8p7-------|

Then if thats too complex try just using powerchords and play them really fast and put a lot of open string screams like:

e|--0--|
B|--0--|
G|--0--|
D|--0--|
A|-----|
E|-----|

The rest is up to the drumming and screaming. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of the names of the chords. Hope this helped man.
Last edited by Tyewatson at Apr 8, 2011,
Power chords and octaves. There isn't going to be anything more complex than that with all the distortion going on.
Quote by Tyewatson
I don't know of any sites that have post hardcore chords but I can at least give you advice on what I hear a lot in the post-hardcore/hardcore music I listen to. I find power chords with the 5th note down 1 half-step, gives a harsh sound usually used in post-hardcore or hardcore. This is a Tritone btw.

For example:

e|---- .. -----|
B|---- .. -----|
G|--7- to --7--|
D|--7- .. --6--|
A|--5- .. --5--|
E|---- .. -----|

I usually use Standard tunings but Dropped tunings work as well.
Using an open chord on the four bass strings can lead to some hardcore breakdowns. You just need to practice rhythm and timing. Seeing as your a drummer, you'll have no problem with that.

The other thing is the use of minor second chord.

Example:

e|------|
B|--14--|
G|--17--|
D|------|
A|------|
E|------|

or

e|------|
B|--10--|
G|------|
D|--8---|
A|------|
E|------|

Try and incorporate sliding techniques like Oh, Sleeper.

At 3:55
d|--------10-----------12s17----10------------10------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------10----|
F|---3s7----8-----5h7s9-----15s7---7----3s7-------8------------------0--|
C|---------------0-----------------------------------------------7--6---|
G|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
C|-0-----0-----0----------------------0------0-------0-0-3-10p8p7-------|

Then if thats too complex try just using powerchords and play them really fast and put a lot of open string screams like:

e|--0--|
B|--0--|
G|--0--|
D|--0--|
A|-----|
E|-----|

The rest is up to the drumming and screaming. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of the names of the chords. Hope this helped man.

Thank you, i really appreciate that you took the time to write this out!

It was very helpful!