Page 1 of 3
Guitarists have their picks, we have our sticks

I don't know about everyone else, but I kind of flutter between many sizes... although mainly stick with Pro-mark.

I use -

-Vic Firth Nova 2B's (for when I'm on a practice pad)
-Pro-Mark 5a
-Pro Mark 7a
-Pro-Mark Cool Rods
-Pro-Mark Joey Jordison sig's (They are pretty much identical to 5a's, pfft)

And when all my other stick break I have to whip out my old Joey Jordison Ahead signatures (such a Fanboy ), even though they are damn awful, lol. I'm using one of my old 5a's and one of the Joey pro marks to avoid having to use them again, not to mention I've been told they damage your wrist.

So, my fellow drummers, what are you using right now?
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
I use the ones made of wood.
But you probably haven't heard of them.
..I was watching my death.
Pro-Mark Mike Portnoy sig - mainly cos I'm a fanboy and mainly a guitarist, and didn't know what kind to get, so I grabbed these, but I absolutely love 'em!
Vic Firth Tomas Haake signature series for playing, and I use the biggest sticks I can find for developing speed, which ended up being these brass monstrosities that weigh like, 1.75 pounds EACH
<---Not a drummer but I thought this would be relevant -

Vic Firth have just released Mike (not Michael as I thought at first) Jackson signature sticks

Edit: Source
Last edited by Meelad360 at Apr 8, 2011,
Um... Drum Sticks?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
I use ones that aren't broken.

Actually, it's my friend who always breaks sticks. I've never broken a stick, and I hit really hard. Sure, they look like I took a knife to them, but they've never broken for me. I think they're Zildjian 5As or something.
Quote by Alex Vik
Actually, it's my friend who always breaks sticks. I've never broken a stick, and I hit really hard. Sure, they look like I took a knife to them, but they've never broken for me. I think they're Zildjian 5As or something.

This is exactly the case for me. I was jamming with a guy who is ****ing retarded and plays guitar but thinks he is as good as John Bonham when he can't even keep time. He can't even keep 4/4 time...
He broke three of my sticks over the period of two minutes... I have never broken a drum stick... Ever. I've had the nylon tips crack and fall off. That's about it. Even then, I still have a fully functional drum stick, I just take it out to the garage and file the edges round.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by MH400
Vic Firth 5B with Nylon Tips

Except I don't use nylon tips.
Quote by timbit2006
This is exactly the case for me. I was jamming with a guy who is ****ing retarded and plays guitar but thinks he is as good as John Bonham when he can't even keep time. He can't even keep 4/4 time...
He broke three of my sticks over the period of two minutes... I have never broken a drum stick... Ever. I've had the nylon tips crack and fall off. That's about it. Even then, I still have a fully functional drum stick, I just take it out to the garage and file the edges round.

I've been playing around 6 or 7 years, and I can count the sticks I've broken on one hand. I honestly don't get how some people constantly smash their sticks up.

Professional drummers I can understand because their sticks are getting a hell of a beating night after night, but amateur drummers shouldn't really be breaking that many sticks.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Apr 9, 2011,
^^ Agree'd, I had my 7a's for about 3 months before they broke and they are like twigs

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
used to use Vic firth 7A nylon tips before I wanted something just a light but a little bigger, so I shifted to using Vic Firth 8D..... Never looked back....

.... I also have ahead Lars Ulrich signatures somewhere..... lovely rebound but they give me a hand cramp...
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Meelad360
<---Not a drummer but I thought this would be relevant -

Vic Firth have just released Mike (not Michael as I thought at first) Jackson signature sticks

Edit: Source
...woah... 740? That's fucking gargantuan!
When I used to play, I liked using Zildjian DIP 5A's with the nylon tip. Good stuff.
pinga
Typically use Vic Firth 5A nylons. Right now I have some sound percussion 5As cause they were on sale in a bundle pack. 6 pairs for 18 bucks, I couldn't pass it up.
I use a pair of two different size sticks :/ It can't be good for my hands or playing but spending my money on other shit has led me to it
Ones a 5a and the other is a 5b... I think
Vic Firth 7A for Jazz, 5A for classical or marching snare, 5B or 7A for everything else. All wood tips. I despise nylon tips.
i mainly use those accel synthetic sticks.

they have worked out great for me, you can't break them, the sleves are cheap to replace if you need to (had mine two months, no need to replace yet) and you can replace the tips.

well worth the money.

its also really nice that they are balanced and that the weight is equal.

the seem to fell pretty much as natural as wood.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I use vic firth 7a sticks with wooden tips. I also sand and reshape the tips into little balls that are about the size of a pea. I don't do the reshaping on all my sticks but when I'm using the cymbals a lot and want them to ping rather than crash I use the reshaped sticks.
Not taking any online orders.
Vic 7a's though I used to use Vater.

Has anyone tried those Aluminum drumsticks? I'm wondering if they are any good.
I leik music
I usually use Zildjian 5a's

or some old metal brushes I found in a cubby in the music room of my old highschool

I also really like the sticks regal tip make. they've got laquer on them which helps them stay grippy, but the music store nearest to me doesn't carry them, and I play guitar more than drums really..
the drummer I usually play with uses them almost exclusively though
@col50

I got a pair and I don't like them at all, doesn't feel right compared to wood sticks.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
i usually use Vic Firth american classic 5a hickory. i like them because i can get a great loud sound out of my ride with them.

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence
Quote by col50

that is what i use, and they are absolutely killer, the outer parts are cheap to change as well as the tips. they last forever anyways, but they are really awesome.

its just really nice, they are perfectly balanced, identically weighted, they work great for me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by col50

I really like em. But only for loud metal shit. They're no good for sophisticated stuff :P
Only for loud metal shit you say? Sounds good for me then lol
I tend to go through wood sticks fast, so might as well pick up some aluminums.
I leik music
I use Tama 7A Power Tools and Tama 7A Flames, both Japanese Oak.

I've never played lighter sticks that can stand up to that much of a beating

I do use 5As occasionally when we need the drums to be louder, say at open air spaces and whatnot.

ProMark Hot Rods and Vic Firth American Classics too
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Last edited by isaacmiranda7 at Apr 25, 2011,
I play 5a and 7a when possible, but can work with anything. On the aluminum sticks, one of my neighbors is an amazing metal drummer (up there with the rev and he's only 17) We play together a lot, and he's always breaking sticks. I've only broken one stick in 23 years of drumming, and that was an OLD OLD stick that looked like a pit bull's chew-toy. (though i've broken through 4 heads, and a splash cymbol) My bud tried the aluminum sticks, and liked them, but he broke one of them in about two weeks, and threw them away. If you aren't a major stick-breaker, then these sticks might last forever for you, but if you play more than 15 hours a week, and go through a lot of sticks, just stick to bulk pro-mark millenium 2's. 5a wood tip preferrably. they're amazingly durable.

edit: and yes, he broke the inside of the stick, not the replaceable part.
-Your shadow of doubt.
Last edited by phuckoph at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
vic firth 5a extremes

Winner.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Page 1 of 3