Forgive me for my limited knowledge on this but I'm selling my old head to a guy who wants to just run it through a sound system at a church. It's a B-52 AT100 (I know alot of people hate them) but it's an all tube head and he wants to just run it through a direct box into a sound system. How do you hook that up exactly? We didn't want to do anything that might blow the head. I know how I usually hook it up through my cab but I didn't know how that would work exactly. I'm pretty sure I've done this before but I wasn't the one who hooked it up so I don't exactly remember how. Also is there anything we should change on the head as far as ohms or anything. Sorry if it's a dumb question or doesn't make sense.
DI box can be hooked up to the effects send. But the head must be loaded at all times. So you'll gone need to plug in a cab or it's equivalent.
Also you can try and pull the power tubes out, but the best way is to get an appropriate attenuator (load box) set for minimum output and plug in instead of a cab and use the DI box after it.
You don't, it'll blow up. A head needs a load attached to it otherwise the power's got nowhere to go - a direct box isn't the same thing, they cost about $20, dummy loads cost about $200.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well then, he may not want it. He has an old fender amp he was talking about running it through but the main thing is they don't want to mic it and want to be able to control the output from the soundboard. If we end up running it through a cab anyway, is there a way to make it to where we have no volume coming from the cab but running to an output? I know I've had some combo amps in the past that I've been able to do this but they might have had a special direct out.
You can break the signal chain. If your amp has a serial FX loop - just take the signal from the send and don't return anything. You amp will just amplify silence into the cab.
Quote by Ace Carson
You can break the signal chain. If your amp has a serial FX loop - just take the signal from the send and don't return anything. You amp will just amplify silence into the cab.

It does have an FX loop, I just don't have the head with me. I'm going there this weekend though so I will check it out.
Quote by Ace Carson

My Laney amp has a serial FX loop, and when i connect it to my computer through the FX send for recordings, the cab still outputs sound as it normally would:

This matter is of interest to me, because i can't record my amp through the FX send without my 4x12" cab blasting away at high volume.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
looking at that schematic, the reason this happens is that the FX send jack doesn't break the signal chain to the cab. The FX return jack, however, does. you could try plugging one end of a cable into the return, and leave the other end disconnected. Not sure if this will generate hum through the cab though. If that schematic is correct, it WILL break the signal chain to the cab though.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Linkerman
My Laney amp has a serial FX loop, and when i connect it to my computer through the FX send for recordings, the cab still outputs sound as it normally would:

This matter is of interest to me, because i can't record my amp through the FX send without my 4x12" cab blasting away at high volume.

The LV300 has a solid state power amp, so you don't need to have a cab connected. Only amps with output transformers (which only a few, quite rare SS amps do) need a load connected.