I'm looking for a new guitar, and after trying quite a few out yesterday, I've found after my cort (Ibanez copy I think), I've got used to thin necks. Like Ibanez and jackson thin.

I'm looking for a new guitar, budget about £700, so I've been looking at the jackson DKMGT, DK2T, and ibanez prestige 1451. As you can tell, fixed bridge guitars only

I'm using it for lead guitar in my band. We play modern (hard) rock. Think Breaking Benjamin, Sick Puppies, Skillet. Thing is, there's not a lot of shreading going on in there. Is it wrong to want a thin neck to get the chunky rythms, just with the occasional solo?

Also, out of the three afformentioned guitars, whick one do you think would fit best? The Jacksons have better pickups, but the ibanez has better upper fret access, and maybe better quility?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!!
Check out my band! Blues mixed with Indie/Alternative from the UK.
Badlands UK
I'd recommend the Jackson DK2T, I owe a Jackson DK2L (Basically the same, for Left-handed, and a floyd rose bridge). And I'm extremely satisfied with it, you can pull loads of different styles with it, it nails them all, and looks cool!
What amp do you have?
I'll be playing it through my beloved Blackstar HT-40 most of the time. Occasionally a crappy Kustom modeller which I borrow for practice sometimes.

I forgot to add, the jacksons also come with a hard case. Major bonus for me!!
Badlands UK
Yeah mine came with one too, major asset for me since a travel a lot.
Dk2t is the cheapest, but it seems to be reasonably hard to come by. Italso dosen't include a case always. I'm leaning towards to ibamez again, for overall quality and playability. I can always swap out the pickups over time. But in some bareknuckles or something

Do you think the other presige hardcases would fit the rg145? Icould try andpick one up used...
Badlands UK
I'll just say that prestige Ibanez guitars are ****ing killer when it comes to quality.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I prefer Jackson over Ibanez. IMO Jacksons at any price range are much better than Ibanez of similar prices. I like the pick ups, the tone the playability, the feel and quality I think Jackson exceed Ibanez. I think Ibanez guitars are way over rated and the high end ones way over priced for what you get. I own a few Ibanez guitars and only because I paid a reasonable price but they need better pups for sure and the quality is OK. I do love Ibanez necks the favorite part of an Ibanez guitar. If they had a different neck I probably wouldn't like them nearly as much.

Your best bet is to try them out side by side if you can. Never rule out used guitars most of my guitars are used and I paid a fraction of the new price.
John

“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion”
I'd like to try some of the new radioactive ibanez guitars. But I'd still prefer jacksons
O.o

Lots of Jackson lovers.

So you thing the dinky's are better? What do you think about not only using it for shred, but for heavy rhythm stuff as well? And would you rather have JB/Jazz or EMG's for hard rock? Which I guess does use cleans...
Badlands UK
Quote by Dayn
I'll just say that prestige Ibanez guitars are ****ing killer when it comes to quality.

True, but (a) the cheaper ones normally need a pickup swap and (b) i've heard that the 1451 uses non-japanese hardware- so it might not be just as "prestige" as some of the other prestiges.

I haven't tried the 1451.

Might be worth considering an rga121 if you can still find one. A couple of online shops still have them.

But other than that, any of the original 3 should work, you shouldn't go too far wrong with any of them.

EDIT: yeah there are a bunch of jackson fanboys in here

If you ask me, the prestige ibanezes are better. But as i said, the 1451 might not be just as prestige as some of the other ones. Could be wrong.

For me it goes:

MIJ Jackson bolt-on pro series << MIJ Ibanez Prestige ~ MIJ Jackson Neck-thru Pro Series (preference really)

FWIW I have a dkmgt and a prestige ibanez. Obviously that doesn't necessarily make me right, and others may disagree- I'm not sharing that information to suggest an argument from authority, just to show that I have nothing against Jackson (I do really like my dkmgt, but I got a killer deal on it- I got mine for just over £300 new, I wouldn't want to pay £700 for one. Though I'm probably a bit biased because I also got a killer deal on my rg3270... for £700 NOS ).

EDIT #2: I'd rather have the JB/Jazz for hard rock but I'd rather have EMGs for metal.

Just out of the box, and ignoring more complex things like pickup swaps down the line.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 8, 2011,
Thanks Dave!! Great help!!

Out of interest, where did you hear about the non Japanese hardware?

I'll probably do a pickup swap relatively quickly. It's just to start off with. I'm more worried about quality, reliability and sustain. The sound I can change later.

I've tried a RGA121 and loved it. It's the main reason I'm looking at the ibby stuff. Trouble is it was very beat up, and the shop was selling it for £750. I can't really get over the pink sparkles on the ones online. And I'd prefer to go new probably.
Badlands UK
yeah as i said I've seen a couple of shops still selling ones as "new", but as they're 2006/2007 models (i think), they might not be in actual new condition... up to you, really.

I can't remember where I heard the 1451 had non-MIJ hardware Jemsite I guess? Or Ibanezrules? EDIT: I had a quick internet search, and I can't find where I read it. I could have sworn I read it somewhere, but at the same time I can't find anything about it so it's entirely possible I'm imagining things.

Not sure. I'm sure if you did a google search you could find out.

And yeah if you're willing to do a pickup swap yourself, then if you ask me the Prestige MIJ RGs are nicer than the Jackson Pros until you get up to the neck-thru pros.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can't really afford the neck through pros. I tried a RR5 (that' a good point - do RR's have the same necks as the dinkys?), and it was good, albeit a bit wierd (I'm not used to V's), but the neck was rediculously sticky. The RGA, however, was brilliant through and through. I'm definately leaning towards the ibanez.
Badlands UK
yeah i think the neck-thrus (the sl3 i tried anyway) probably have a finished, glossy neck, so if you don't like that, probably best to avoid them.

Not sure about the necks... jackson used to list the neck dimensions on their website under "specs", not sure if they still do, I guess you could check the jackson website to see. From what I can remember there were a couple of different neck profiles, but I can't remember which were the same and which were different.

the bolt-on jacksons have satin-finished necks, though, so they should be fine.

FWIW I'd lean towards the Ibanez too- but that's just me, and personal preference plus the knowledge of what the prices used to be play a pretty big part. If you could still get the jacksons for £300-£400, with the prestiges at £500-£600, that'd be more of a judgement call... when they're a similar price, for me, not so much.

I mean the prices I'm seeing are almost £600 for the dk2t, over £600 for the dkmgt, and around £600 for the rg1451. The prices vary a lot more on the rga121, mainly because so few places still have them, and you might have to buy based on condition, there's no point in getting the cheapest price if it looks beat-up, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i think the neck-thrus (the sl3 i tried anyway) probably have a finished, glossy neck, so if you don't like that, probably best to avoid them.

Not sure about the necks... jackson used to list the neck dimensions on their website under "specs", not sure if they still do, I guess you could check the jackson website to see. From what I can remember there were a couple of different neck profiles, but I can't remember which were the same and which were different.

the bolt-on jacksons have satin-finished necks, though, so they should be fine.

FWIW I'd lean towards the Ibanez too- but that's just me, and personal preference plus the knowledge of what the prices used to be play a pretty big part. If you could still get the jacksons for £300-£400, with the prestiges at £500-£600, that'd be more of a judgement call... when they're a similar price, for me, not so much.

I mean the prices I'm seeing are almost £600 for the dk2t, over £600 for the dkmgt, and around £600 for the rg1451. The prices vary a lot more on the rga121, mainly because so few places still have them, and you might have to buy based on condition, there's no point in getting the cheapest price if it looks beat-up, lol.

Yeah, all of the Jackson neck thrus have a gloss finish neck, except for a few small limited USA runs. However, checking anything on their website is a bad idea, it's riddled with errors. I love the company to bits, but they really do need to fix that disgrace of a website.

And while we're talking about our preferences, I'm a Jackson guy. Something about them is just 'right' for me, so even though I'd agree that the Ibbys look like a better deal, I'd probably still buy Jackson.

I'm also quite fond of the satin finish on my DK2M's neck. I think I'd rather have that than the gloss, definitely.
Thanks for you're help Dave. I'm definately leaning towards the ibanez, although I'll try them both out.

One final question. Do you think I'm getting a guitar with such a thin neck for playing my music? Although I do do metal(core) at home, with my band (which is when I'll be using the guitar most) we play hard modern rock. You know, really chunky rhythms, with the occasional solo. I know I love the thin necks, but I can use thicker necks as well (think ESP thin U lol). I just can't solo as well (which I guess isn't the main thing for our music).

Am I making a mistake?
Badlands UK
^ I don't think we can really answer that, it's really your call. If the thinner neck doesn't affect your ability to play rhythm, as long as you think the tone is as good, then it's probably not a problem.

Up to you.

Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Yeah, all of the Jackson neck thrus have a gloss finish neck, except for a few small limited USA runs. However, checking anything on their website is a bad idea, it's riddled with errors. I love the company to bits, but they really do need to fix that disgrace of a website.

And while we're talking about our preferences, I'm a Jackson guy. Something about them is just 'right' for me, so even though I'd agree that the Ibbys look like a better deal, I'd probably still buy Jackson.

I'm also quite fond of the satin finish on my DK2M's neck. I think I'd rather have that than the gloss, definitely.

oh yeah, the jackson website is useless. They have a bunch of new models this year, and most of them don't even have the specs section filled out
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cockstock MH100nt!!!!!1eleven!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-LTD-1001-DELUXE-/330549203375?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4cf64491af#ht_500wt_1156

EDIT:

Its not a **** stock

TS you could always buy a trem equipped Ibby Prestige and then fully block it, meaning you can use it like any hard tail bridge but with added tuning stability.

There are loads of nice ones on fleabay at the moment for stupid money.

Thats what I do anyway

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Apr 8, 2011,
Wouldn't it still be a pain to change tunings/strings? That's one of the main reasons I'm going hardtail. I'm lazy.
Badlands UK
Its only a pain the first couple of times you do it. I can do string changes really quick on mine now, its just practice.

A guy down the road from me is selling his DK2M Jackson for about £300, which is a pretty good deal.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Thanks. I haven't actually got the money now. It's a bit of an advanced thread.

I think I'm going to go with a RG1451. I'll still try everything out though.

If I go for the ibanez, I'll probably try and replace the bridge pickup pretty soon. Any recommendations? It needs to be a defined pickup, good for hard rock stuff. Don't reallymind about cleans, although it needs to be able to split on the 5 way switch (maybe all pickups can do this?). Oh, and if it comes in green, that's a bonus.
Badlands UK
I cant imagine the pickups should be too shoddy on that. Ive an RG470 (Jap made, I think year 2000), that has the V7+V8 pickups, and for standard pups theyre really good. I assume that, being a prestige, the 1451 should have just as good - or better- pups than mine.

Id say plan at least for the guitar, but dont get ahead of yourself worrying about pickups as you might not need to!
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
^ maybe look into some bareknuckles? You have a lot of options, though, from the likes of bareknuckle, bulldog, shed, wizard, rockmonkey, catswhisker etc. (all handwinders from the UK).

Personally I think duncans and dimarzios are too dear in europe for what they are, but if you like them, go for it.

For splitting etc. you just need to order 4-conductor versions of the pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh cool. I was wondering what 4 conductors were!

I'll probably get a green bareknuckle painkiller or nailbomb. I'll see what Tim thinks. I'm guessing a pickup cover won't fit.
Badlands UK
yeah if you do decide to go BKP see what tim says. Maybe make a thread over there too for some second opinions.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gabbastard: I'll see what I think of them. If I like them they'll probably stay. Unless the urge for green pickups becomes too great!

Anyone know if/where I can get green volume and tone knobs in the UK? I can't find anything...

Thanks for your help guys (Dave ). I can't wait!!
Badlands UK
I have a black/copper ibanez RG2550e you can have for £400 if you interested btw.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Definitely one of the Jacksons, well, if it were me anyways. but it is up to you, that's just what i would choose. for me, jackson is the best ever.