Hey guys,

My Current Setup:
Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 81/85
Ibanez SA260FM
Boss ME-70
Roland CUBE 15X

Ive been playing guitar on and off for three years now and have decided it time to get rid of that cube 15x that I started with. I want a low wattage tube amp for bedroom use and jamming (more often than not without a drummer). no hybrid amps

Ive looked through shops around Brisbane and the best fit I can seem to find for my budget is the Vox AC4TV. I can get it for $400 (down from $500). I am willing to spend up to $600 AUD. I really like the orange tiny terror combo but the retail is $1300 here! with the Australian dollar the way it is, one would think it would be cheaper, but, anyway.... The most important thing is a nice clean channel, as i will be running FX through it

Long story short im looking for a low wattage tube practice amp with a good clean channel that I will use pedals to get my distortion sound out of (Budget $600 AUD)

Thanks in advance for your replies
PS: im not TOO much of an ibanez fan boy
.....and sorry about all the smileys
I would like to suggest products from Blackstar, an amp company in UK.Some other brands like VOX is also not bad. The amps that I would recommend are:
1) Blackstar HT-1 - a 1 watt tube amp,very suitable for bedroom practice. 1 watt of power but quite loud

HT-1

2) Blackstar HT-5 - a 5 watt tube amp,very suitable for bedroom practice, small gigs.Also
pretty loud.

HT-5

Both these amps are under 600usd. Do check them out in the link provided! Hope I helped.
What genre do you play, typically?

Also, nothing wrong with a hybrid amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I play some heavier stuff (avenged sevenfold, bullet for my vallentine, atreyu, etc.), alternative rock (Jimmy Eat World, Alkaline Trio, Blink 182, Offspring, etc.) and sometimes some classical rock (G n R, ACDC, CCR, etc.)

thanks for the replies and hope that helps
Quote by Tremonti4life
I would like to suggest products from Blackstar, an amp company in UK.Some other brands like VOX is also not bad. The amps that I would recommend are:
1) Blackstar HT-1 - a 1 watt tube amp,very suitable for bedroom practice. 1 watt of power but quite loud

HT-1

2) Blackstar HT-5 - a 5 watt tube amp,very suitable for bedroom practice, small gigs.Also
pretty loud.

HT-5

Both these amps are under 600usd. Do check them out in the link provided! Hope I helped.

This then.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
What do you mean the AUS dollar being the way it is? It's the strongest its been for a while now.
Also check out the Vox L'il Nightrain, head, cab and speaker cable all for about $399AU
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
What do you mean the AUS dollar being the way it is? It's the strongest its been for a while now.
Also check out the Vox L'il Nightrain, head, cab and speaker cable all for about $399AU

i was trying to say about how our prices should be comparable to the american ones now that we are getting about $1.04 american for an aussie dollar. ive been looking enviously on sweetwater. hehehe sorry probably not the best wording in my post.

thanks for the suggestions everyone, ill have a look around for some blackstar dealers. all the music shops seem to have a stockpile of the new jet city amps. would the jca20h be any good for my needs? youtube audio quality hasn't been much help on this one.
Quote by ibanez4321
i was trying to say about how our prices should be comparable to the american ones now that we are getting about $1.04 american for an aussie dollar. ive been looking enviously on sweetwater. hehehe sorry probably not the best wording in my post.

thanks for the suggestions everyone, ill have a look around for some blackstar dealers. all the music shops seem to have a stockpile of the new jet city amps. would the jca20h be any good for my needs? youtube audio quality hasn't been much help on this one.

Very much so, I would wait for the JCA20 that has 2 channels though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by ibanez4321

Unfortunately it never will, the AUS dollar might be great in standing but people forget that it's the importers/distributors that raise the prices up and sell it to retailers. Sucks yes but it is the nature of their business, they have to make a profit too.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Apr 8, 2011,
that new blackstar ht-5r looks pretty awesome, will ring around tomorrow morning to find out some prices.
If you have the multi-fx the reverb on the amp is a bit pointless... It's just a regular digital one. No spring or valve reverb there. But the HT-1 is a good rock practice amp and You can pick them up for $250 AUD. It's cheap enough, is loud enough for practice and you can run a cab off it when you get one. I've ordered one, and it seemed like a nice little amp for the money when I got it.

The HT-5 is the next step up and has an effects loop and might be foot switchable, but I doubt it will be giggable. However, for jams without a drummer, it will do the trick and so will a HT-1 if everyone's playing on tiny little amps, lol. I guess you can use either amp's headphone line level out to a hifi if you need more volume.

So yeah, your choice... The HT-5 seems like a great jam and practice amp, has an effects loop, footswitch for the channels, a 12" speaker which isn't weak like the little 8" in the HT-1 (although it would probably sound great through a cab), and 2 speaker simulations for the line out. The HT-1 is a very cheap option though and will leave more money for a better amp down the line, but won't be as convenient now.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by maddnotez
Baron Snott Watt best choice

When I googled "Baron Snott Watt" I only got 18 hits worldwide and none for australian sites so that rules that one out...

With the new blackstar amps only being unveiled days ago, do you think I could get good deals on a now obsolete Ht-5 or Ht-1?
In terms versatility, there is a special knob called ISF (infinite shape feature) which lets us control the tone we want and can only be found in Blackstar amps. A brief explanation would be, if you turn the knob anti-clockwise, you can get an American type of tone,in the Mesa Boogie zone, while if you turn clockwise, you can get a British type of tone, in the Marshall zone. So, it's affordable and you can get different tones out of a small tube amp.

Here's a video on the ISF control: ISF
Quote by Tremonti4life
In terms versatility, there is a special knob called ISF (infinite shape feature) which lets us control the tone we want and can only be found in Blackstar amps. A brief explanation would be, if you turn the knob anti-clockwise, you can get an American type of tone,in the Mesa Boogie zone, while if you turn clockwise, you can get a British type of tone, in the Marshall zone. So, it's affordable and you can get different tones out of a small tube amp.

Here's a video on the ISF control: ISF

Lol, endorse blackstar much?

IMO the ISF knob adds almost no versatility.. You can get almost any sound from the 3 band EQ you can from the ISF. It just changes the EQ, not the voicing. And it changes the EQ backwards from "typical" american and british.
/rig
Ht5 or an ibanez tubescreamer halfstack with a distortion pedal or a pre amp
Went to the local music store hoping to try out some of these low wattage tube amps, and some old guy was hogging the sound proof test room until just before the store closed (probably serves me right for going to test some gear on a Saturday afternoon).

They didn't have much stock at all. They had a JCA20H, but only a Jet City 4x12" speaker cabinent. They had run out of stock for tiny terrors, night trains, and the like. The only other that I could seem to find there was a Egnater Tweaker. I might be able to get it down in to my price range, but we will see because im gonna test it out on Wednesday when the store is empty. (This store thats near me doesnt stock blackstar, so ill have to wait till i can get to the city to try one out)

By the way all other music stores are in and around the CBD in Brisbane. and im still few months off getting my damn learners

Its not just me being lazy

\m/ d(o.o)b \m/
Quote by deepsal
Ht5 or an ibanez tubescreamer halfstack with a distortion pedal or a pre amp

Ht5 seems to be more trustworthy, Ibanez tubescreamer amp is only very new to the market.

Just ask Tremonti4life about the blackstar, he seems to be working for them
He said no hybrids guys.
A Fender Champ into a nice cab would suit you quite well. Just a volume knob. If you don't crank them too loud they have lovely cleans, some of the best in the game. Stick your FX unit in front of it and go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I tried out a Egnater Tweaker, a Jet City JCA20H, Laney Cub12, Vox Night Train and AC4TV. Nothing could even come close to the tweaker. I will have to get along to a blackstar dealer and try the HT-5 out. until then... \m/
Ibanez RG321MH (with EMG 81/85)
Ibanez SA260FM (stock)

Boss ME-70

Roland CUBE 15X (built like a tank)

**coming soon**
Low wattage all tube amp

maybe selling ME-70 and buying stompboxes
I'd suggest a Laney VC15. It's mega cheap, all tube, has an FX loop and sounds very similar to an AC30. If you run the right dirt box through it, it should be able to get the modern Metal sounds you're looking for.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here