Guten morgen, Pit.

I just had a question about blood donation. I remember that last time I donated, one of the questions they asked me was if I was on any antibiotics. Since then, I've been put on a twice-daily dose of Amoxicillan. I'm going to a blood drive Monday, and wanted to know if this will disqualify me from donating. Amoxicillan is a pretty mild antibiotic, so I wasn't really sure. Also, if it helps, I haven't taken my morning dose yet today, and I could easily go without it for awhile. Seeing as I don't donate until Monday afternoon, would it help if I stopped taking it til then?
apparantly you can't give blood if you have taken antibiotics in the last 72 hours.

I suppose it depends why you are on antibiotics too because if there's anything in your blood that might be dangerous for someone with a lowered immune system, there's no point in giving any.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
1. don't mess up and scramble the days your taking it
2. no, just don't go and spare yourself the trouble because if you've taken antibiotics they won't let you.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
If you mess about with not taking the antibiotics properly, they won`t kill the infection, and the infection may become resiliant to the antibiotics.
Don`t give blood with them in your system, a lot of blood get used for new born babies & what may be mild to you, may be too strong for a new born to handle.
The main reason they're asking you about antibiotics is allergies, you MUST be clean or there's a good chance you might kill someone who reacts to the certain antibiotic you're on..

Other than that I'm not really sure about other complications..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by herby190
Guten morgen, Pit.

I just had a question about blood donation. I remember that last time I donated, one of the questions they asked me was if I was on any antibiotics. Since then, I've been put on a twice-daily dose of Amoxicillan. I'm going to a blood drive Monday, and wanted to know if this will disqualify me from donating. Amoxicillan is a pretty mild antibiotic, so I wasn't really sure. Also, if it helps, I haven't taken my morning dose yet today, and I could easily go without it for awhile. Seeing as I don't donate until Monday afternoon, would it help if I stopped taking it til then?

Make sure you take all the antibiotics it's people stopping when they think they're fine that's making bacteria resistant to antibiotics.

Also google is your friend. https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp
Just ask them when you go to donate. I was on some mild medication when I last gave blood, but I told them and they deemed me fit to donate.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Don't go without it. There's a reason you have a schedule of antibiotics.
It's not for you; it's for the rest of the people who'll come into contact with your resistant strains.

Just like car fog lights- they help you but they also help everyone else much more.

Basicly, you probably won't be able to give blood. But just ask anyway.
Check out the regulations on the Red Cross blood donation page or call the place where you're scheduled to donate. You wasted more time making this thread than you would've on one phone call.

Good on you for donating, by the way. I did for the first time about 2 months ago. Plan on going again soon.

Edit: From the Red Cross:

A donor with an acute infection should not donate. The reason for antibiotic use must be evaluated to determine if the donor has a bacterial infection that could be transmissible by blood.

Acceptable after finishing oral antibiotics for an infection (bacterial or viral). May have taken last pill on the date of donation. Antibiotic by injection for an infection acceptable 10 days after last injection. Acceptable if you are taking antibiotics to prevent an infection, for example, following dental procedures or for acne. Some conditions which require antibiotics to prevent an infection must still be evaluated at the time of donation by the responsible medical director. If you have a temperature above 99.5 F, you may not donate.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Apr 8, 2011,
The reason they ask if you are on antibiotics is because if you have some sort of infection, and you donate blood, that blood can carry the infection, and infect the person receiving the blood.

Don't go. Messing with your antibiotic schedule can make it very hard to kill the infection, and its likely that they wouldn't take your blood anyways.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Wow, for some unfathomable reason, I read Blood detonation at first...
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
If you're on antibiotics because you're sick then they probably won't want to take your blood whether you're taking them or not
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Acceptable if you are taking antibiotics to prevent an infection, for example, following dental procedures or for acne

Mine is to prevent acne, so it looks like I'll still be able to donate. I guess I should've specified that in the OP. It looks like I won't even have to stop taking it; thanks, Peter!
In the UK, the NHS will prevent you from giving blood if you are currently on antibiotics or have taken them in the last two weeks. You will need to declare it, you will not be able to give blood on your scheduled occasion. Instead, you will be booked into another appointment for when the drugs are out of your system.

Your blood could go to a newborn baby, to someone with AIDS and extreme sensitivity, or to someone with a penicillin allergy. Don't dick around with this. Wait until you're off the tablets.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Your blood could go to a newborn baby, to someone with AIDS and extreme sensitivity, or to someone with a penicillin allergy. Don't dick around with this. Wait until you're off the tablets.
I like that all of The Pit are at least being serious about it, and taking the better-safe-than-sorry approach.

However, as I mentioned in the post two posts up, it will be safe, seeing as they do allow preventative ones, which mine is (I'm just on a small does to prevent acne).

Also, they do screen you each time you go, and one of the many questions is if you're on any antibiotics, so there wasn't really any risk; when I answered yes, they'd probably ask for further details, and if it was something that could be a problem, they wouldn't let me through.
Wait for another day. From experience they wont let you give blood for so many reasons. I tried ysterday (3rd session) and they turned me down because I've had a chest infection for about 3 weeks. Damn asthma.
Quote by herby190
I like that all of The Pit are at least being serious about it, and taking the better-safe-than-sorry approach.

However, as I mentioned in the post two posts up, it will be safe, seeing as they do allow preventative ones, which mine is (I'm just on a small does to prevent acne).

Also, they do screen you each time you go, and one of the many questions is if you're on any antibiotics, so there wasn't really any risk; when I answered yes, they'd probably ask for further details, and if it was something that could be a problem, they wouldn't let me through.

I'm glad to hear you're taking it seriously too

In the UK it would probably be at the discretion of the staff member taking your donation but make sure you tell them so they can label your bag of blood appropriately and not give it to anyone with a penicillin allergy. Hope it goes well, I'm meant to be donating next week but I need to get my wisdom teeth out so they probably won't let me due to infection risk =/