Hey everybody!
To start of, correct me please if this is the wrong place to make this kind of post, since i dont know where to put it

What is your opinion on some "must have" influences? Wich guitarists should be known and affected all guitarists in some way?

I´m trying to build up a list on some guys to study to get a well rounded style on guitar, and not just one style like some people tend to do.

For example, wich guitarists is much know for metal? For blues? Jazz? Fusion? Funk? Pop? Rock? Hard rock?

You get the drill, if it aint too much trouble gather all your favorite and most inspiring guitarists here.

Thanks !
Last edited by Sickz at Apr 8, 2011,
I'm going to leave this open in the hope that it gets sensible, on-topic answers...just be aware that it'll get closed if it degenerates into a "My guitarist is better than your guitarist" playground scrap.

This is the wrong place to talk about artists and genres, but if the discussion stays in the context of guitar techniques then I'm happy for it to stay.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I don't think there are any "must have" influences; everyone likes different things and, because of this, will draw influence from different guitarists. Furthermore, I think this is a good thing because it helps you to gain an individual musical identity.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I can understand that it will be closed then, im not asking for wich guitarist is in there opinion the best, but wich is almost like a must have for that genre.

But yeah, if it gets out of hand ( wich i hope it dosent ) close it by all means.
Really, in the end John Petrucci is the best overall.
For metal, try Michael Romeo. You can play his stuff, you can play most metal.
For jazz, Joe Pass is very popular in terms of phrasing.
For fusion, Al di Meola is the standard.
...and most rock soloing is just pentatonics.

+Alex Lifeson.

EDIT: OH MY GOD I FORGOT PAUL GILBERT.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by Aleksi
I don't think there are any "must have" influences; everyone likes different things and, because of this, will draw influence from different guitarists. Furthermore, I think this is a good thing because it helps you to gain an individual musical identity.

Alright then, lets make the change that i want to know all you peoples opinion on what you think are some good guitarists in that style, not bashing others opinion, just shareing your own.
This is my list:

Blues - BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan
Rock - Paul Gilbert (My Favourite), Guthrie Govan (Try 'Six') and Jimi Hendrix
Instrumental Metal - Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and John Petrucci
Metal - Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne), Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom) and Rusty Cooley
Classical - Bach, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi and Mozart

I know that classical music doesn't have guitars in it but the influence from classical music is see-able in all guitarists.
Quote by Naruto00121
This is my list:

Blues - BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan
Rock - Paul Gilbert (My Favourite), Guthrie Govan (Try 'Six') and Jimi Hendrix
Instrumental Metal - Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and John Petrucci
Metal - Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne), Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom) and Rusty Cooley
Classical - Bach, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi and Mozart

I know that classical music doesn't have guitars in it but the influence from classical music is see-able in all guitarists.

Ah i see i forgot classical, thanks!
No problem, try Neo-classical artists such as Jason Becker, Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert. Their musical reflection of classical music is amazing.
Metalwise - Dimebag Darrel, Alexi laiho, Mark morton, Petrucci, Gus G, Dave mustaine and the amott brothers.

Instumental - Joe satriani, steve vai, Gurthie govan, greg howe, Petrucci, Jeff loomis, eric johnson, yngwie and Vinnie moore.

Classical - Bach, Beethoven and paganini

Hard rock - Michael Schenker , Paul gilbert

Blues - Gary moore and SRV, some BB king aswell.
Quote by Sickz
Alright then, lets make the change that i want to know all you peoples opinion on what you think are some good guitarists in that style, not bashing others opinion, just shareing your own.

I'm pretty much a one trick pony with guitar, I do metal or metal interpretations of classical music.
- Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) is definitely my strongest influence. He's the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place and I still love his music.
- Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun, ex-Ensiferum, ex-Arthemesia), some really cool ideas in his music. Interesting arpeggios and use of slightly exotic scales.
- Jere Pöyhönen (Raven Claw, now known as Vermilion); this band isn't well known at all, they're yet to release their début album but the demo "Orders of Helljester" influenced me a lot. Since hearing them, my music has taken on a much darker tone, which I love. It's really thanks to Jere that I'm finally happy with the music I write.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Naruto00121
I love all those artists. Don't know why you opened this thread, looks like you've already got enough!

Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick, what a duo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zV-IlSvP4

Megadeth is the best!!!

You can never have enough influences.

As Chris Broderick once said in one interview: "While my friends would lissen to and learn to play one or two guys like yngwie or vai, i would lissen to 400".

I don´t have much time learning stuff at the momment since it´s my last year in high school and i have to get my grades together, but im working on things i want to practice when the summer comes. And i think it´s better to have too much to practice then too less.

Or simply, i want to be a well rounded player. I don´t want to be one of those guys that is just a metal maniac ( although i mainly lissen to metal ) and can only play metal songs. I want to have knowledge in many areas such as classical, jazz, blues, pop etc.
J seems to be a good letter for guitarists:

John Williams, Jonny Greenwood, John Squire, Johnny Marr, James Taylor, Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JoshW27
J seems to be a good letter for guitarists:

John Williams, Jonny Greenwood, John Squire, Johnny Marr, James Taylor, Jimi Hendrix

We can't forget John Petrucci!
Quote by Sickz
You can never have enough influences.

As Chris Broderick once said in one interview: "While my friends would lissen to and learn to play one or two guys like yngwie or vai, i would lissen to 400".

I don´t have much time learning stuff at the momment since it´s my last year in high school and i have to get my grades together, but im working on things i want to practice when the summer comes. And i think it´s better to have too much to practice then too less.

Or simply, i want to be a well rounded player. I don´t want to be one of those guys that is just a metal maniac ( although i mainly lissen to metal ) and can only play metal songs. I want to have knowledge in many areas such as classical, jazz, blues, pop etc.

Haha, i'm on my last year of high school too. Its hard, but i manage to get in at least an hour of practice a day and more on weekends. Schools a bitch.
Quote by Naruto00121
Haha, i'm on my last year of high school too. Its hard, but i manage to get in at least an hour of practice a day and more on weekends. Schools a bitch.

I can only manage like friday, saturday and sunday for sure.

Rest of the days it aint certain i get time.

But since useing Rusty cooleys 5 min learning technique ive been able to work on songs faster and easier.

Can almost play Redneck by lamb of god up to speed now after 2 weeks practice
Thanks for the tip. Have just been over to the site and the paint used is the one you have recommended