Poll: Would you sell your gear or keep it if you needed some cash?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you sell your gear or keep it if you needed some cash?
Yes
2 33%
No
4 67%
Voters: 6.
In a little bit of a pickle to where I need some money pretty bad. Trying to sell of rack gear and guitars I dont need. To fund a Cab that I do need.

However, I am using a VHT Pitbull. I have been thinking about selling and downgrading. I really dont want to do this but again in dire need of some cash.

I might do a cash out refi on my car or sell my gear and go back to not liking my tone

What you you guys do? Sell off and be sad or keep it and stick it out?
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
I only sell stuff if I know I can get it back for roughly the same price when the cash flow starts coming back my way, AND if it's something that I can do without.

But if it's hard-to-find stuff, or stuff that would cost a lot to buy back, I try to hang onto it. And I have a personal rule that I don't sell/trade stuff that's critical to my tone (or that I just plain love). I've heard way too many people say "I had a guitar/amp/pedal that I loved once... I wish I never sold it".
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
I only sell stuff if I know I can get it back for roughly the same price when the cash flow starts coming back my way, AND if it's something that I can do without.

But if it's hard-to-find stuff, or stuff that would cost a lot to buy back, I try to hang onto it. And I have a personal rule that I don't sell/trade stuff that's critical to my tone (or that I just plain love). I've heard way too many people say "I had a guitar/amp/pedal that I loved once... I wish I never sold it".

haha good point. The thing is all together I paid 1,100 for my amp which i can probably get 1,400 .

It sounds do-able I could even do that then buy a Deliverance for $800.

Such a hard choice, I do love my Pitbull.
I'd hang onto it, my rule of thumb is I'll only sell musical gear to raise funds for other musical gear. Hasn't lead me too far astray so far, though I've had to tough out some tough financial moments to keep the beloved axes.
But yea, a colleague of mine has parted with a lot of gear over the years to put the funds elsewhere, and has regretted a fair whack of it.
I arranged my life so I have no debt. I refuse to possess a credit card and I own my own house outright so no rent/motgage. I also live in a country with free healthcare and where the poorest people get at least $300 per week so I can't fall very far. If I need something, like car repairs, I simply save my money until I can afford it (and I usually do the work myself). While waiting I just tighten my belt a bit and make do. Sell my gear? Not going to happen, I'd rather eat sausages and potato.
No debt - that's the key.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by maddnotez
haha good point. The thing is all together I paid 1,100 for my amp which i can probably get 1,400 .

It sounds do-able I could even do that then buy a Deliverance for $800.

Such a hard choice, I do love my Pitbull.

That's not a bad deal really, if you can get more for it than you spent.

My internal guide for stuff like this is I ask myself "is this worth $xxx to me?" If I'd be just as happy with the cash as I would with the gear, then I feel ok selling it. But if I personally value the piece of gear MORE then the price I would get for it, then the answer is pretty obvious.

Tough choice man. I can't say I envy you right now Do you have anything else you can sell for cash? Workout gear? A mountain bike? Blood?
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by maddnotez
I shouldve just been a vocalist

I play more piano than I do guitar, but I've spent WAY more on my guitar gear than anything piano-related. A lot of places have a piano already. Just walk in and play. Guitar crap is expensive!!
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
Do you have anything else you can sell for cash? Workout gear? A mountain bike? Blood?

trying to sell all my unused guitars and rack gear. My blood is no good I have a bad case of tendonitus
Quote by Cathbard
I arranged my life so I have no debt. I refuse to possess a credit card and I own my own house outright so no rent/motgage. I also live in a country with free healthcare and where the poorest people get at least $300 per week so I can't fall very far. If I need something, like car repairs, I simply save my money until I can afford it (and I usually do the work myself). While waiting I just tighten my belt a bit and make do. Sell my gear? Not going to happen, I'd rather eat sausages and potato.
No debt - that's the key.

Mr. Ramsey couldn't have said it better.

TS, take it from a budding gear addict.

A place to live>Gear>girlfriend>showers>vehicle>food>TV>everythingelse|
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90