Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
no i havent but what kind of music if you can afford 400$ get an ibanez tubescreamer 15w head and a metal muff i loved it
Quote by deepsal
no i havent but what kind of music if you can afford 400$ get an ibanez tubescreamer 15w head and a metal muff i loved it

this isnt a whatt amp thread man
this a "how do you like this amp" thread
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
ok, i see that there is no FX loop send/return, but i have a question.

Could i run the FX loop out on my 6262 into the guitar input on this head, and get some extra power tube distortion with the crazy high gain pre-amp section from my 6262?

My thought is that would be real good for recording, as i live in an apartment and can't turn my amp up loud. thus i get very little power tube distortion.

Would that work? could i run the FX loop out or preamp out on my 6262 into the guitar input on this head?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
i only use one speaker for micing, i would just run one to each head and set them both on 8 ohm.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I like the Pico. I played it for ~30 minutes at Guitar Center 2 weeks ago. It isn't very clean - and when fully cranked it has metal distortion. The 2w switch is awesome - there is a big difference between running it at 2w and 5w.

It lacks any extras, like a 2nd channel or an FX loop. For the money, I'd say the JCA20H is probably better (although substantially louder - its also easily modded to add your own FX loop etc.). The Pico does have more gain though.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
I like the Pico. I played it for ~30 minutes at Guitar Center 2 weeks ago. It isn't very clean - and when fully cranked it has metal distortion. The 2w switch is awesome - there is a big difference between running it at 2w and 5w.

It lacks any extras, like a 2nd channel or an FX loop. For the money, I'd say the JCA20H is probably better (although substantially louder - its also easily modded to add your own FX loop etc.). The Pico does have more gain though.

oh so it dosnt really have a warm sparkly clean tone?
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
It doesn't really have a clean tone at all. By the time you can hear it properly, it has started to saturate. I wouldn't call anything about it 'warm,' either. It's a tiny little amp for getting power tube saturation in bedrooms, and it sounds like a tiny little amp. It's not bad, especially considering how hard it is to find a decent low-watt high gain amp, but warm and clean are two things it does not do well.
I tried it in Israel when I went to visit Carmel.

It has shit-loads of gain. Seriously, if you're looking for an amp with more character and guts than a Blackstar HT-5, the Picovalve is perfect. The only downside is its lack of respectable clean tones, something that the shoddy stock valves and slightly imperfect design help to achieve.

However, with a few tweaks and changes - i.e. preamp and poweramp valve switch - then you've got probably the best apartment high gain amp on the market today (excluding boutique).

Speaking of bedroom levels, the 2 watt mode is incredibly impressive. It does cut some of the treble, but attenuators, pentode/triode switches, variac's, etc. often cut the treble if not done perfectly. Although you can dime everything in the 5 watt mode and still be able to shout over it, using the 2 watt mode decreases the volume dramatically. With the volume and gain at 3 o'clock you've got bedroom levels.

I'm desperate to pick up a JCA20H and Picovalve just for low volume high gain work. The Picovalve is more metal orientated, while the 20H is more classic rock in its vibe and gain structure.

But be warned the Picovalve, when everything is maxed out, does become mushy and fizzy a little. Which to me says that it's a untamed beast that could possibly be modified to be worth three times as much as it's worth. In other words, it's a lot of fun to play but can be very demanding if you want that perfectly smooth and balanced tone that something like a Vox Night Train or Egnater Tweaker might offer.

So, to some up, if you want a ballz-to-the-wallz beast for your room then the Picovalve is awesome. If you want a versatile amp for apartment/bedroom use, go with the JCA20H, Egnater Tweaker or the Night Train.
ok then i may case i probably need a to get a JCA 20 and put a boost or a distortion pedal for my thrash stuff right? the reason say this is because clean is preaty damn important to me (something i cannot get with a crapy vypyr
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by Roc8995
It doesn't really have a clean tone at all. By the time you can hear it properly, it has started to saturate. I wouldn't call anything about it 'warm,' either. It's a tiny little amp for getting power tube saturation in bedrooms, and it sounds like a tiny little amp. It's not bad, especially considering how hard it is to find a decent low-watt high gain amp, but warm and clean are two things it does not do well.

Speaking of tiny little amps, when you get that Weber I demand clips of a cranked up Lucky 7.

Edit @ Angry: a lot of that treble loss has to do with the human ear perceiving frequencies at volume. You really need to push guitar speakers to get a full range.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by rhino1957
ok then i may case i probably need a to get a JCA 20 and put a boost or a distortion pedal for my thrash stuff right? the reason say this is because clean is preaty damn important to me (something i cannot get with a crapy vypyr
The JCA20H doesn't have amazing cleans, either. Neither amps are designed to be used cleanly - although the 20H is certainly much better in that regard compared to the Picovalve. Unless you're looking for awesome clean tones, I think the 20H will be fine.

By the way, if you are willing to add another hundred or so onto your budget, Jet City offer a modified 20H, done by David Friedman, that offers a load more gain and a tighter attack. If you're into djent and all that then it might be something to look into.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
edit @ Angry: a lot of that treble loss has to do with the human ear perceiving frequencies at volume. You really need to push guitar speakers to get a full range.
Ahh, yeah, that makes sense.
no. I've spent way to much money on mojo caps.

I wrote don't buy anything anymore until you order the onetics transformers for the slo you dumbass on my arm.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Roc8995
It doesn't really have a clean tone at all. By the time you can hear it properly, it has started to saturate.

This.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
As an owner of the 50 watt head, I can totally understand it not being clean... I mean I don't get sparkly cleans but I do like to turn up the master at least up to 4 or 5. I imagine the preamp is similar to the rest of the JCAs so I'm sure it's amazing.

If I ever have to move into an apartment or somewhere else where I can crank an amp, this would probably be the first amp on my list to buy.
Quote by AcousticMirror
i really want a used 50 watt combo to magically appear before me.

The one modeled after the head or the jca5212 rc?
I bought one today. NAD coming soon.

So far, by itself, I'm not that impressed. As far as high gain, it's very flabby to me. Even with the preamp gain dimed, there wasn't enough gain for real heavy metal. I even through a boost infront if it and it still wasn't enough for me. Without good cleans and enough gain, it's kind of a rock only type of amp IMHO.

However, I ran the preamp section from a JCM900 into it. Great idea, balls to the walls gain from the JCM, and the power section of pico smoothing everything out. When I get back to Chicago I'll do a proper NAD.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete

So far, by itself, I'm not that impressed. As far as high gain, it's very flabby to me. Even with the preamp gain dimed, there wasn't enough gain for real heavy metal. I even through a boost infront if it and it still wasn't enough for me. Without good cleans and enough gain, it's kind of a rock only type of amp IMHO.

However, I ran the preamp section from a JCM900 into it. Great idea, balls to the walls gain from the JCM, and the power section of pico smoothing everything out. When I get back to Chicago I'll do a proper NAD.

What speakers did you run it through? Don't know if this is true myself, but apparently running a 5W through a 240W 4x12 isn't that great since the speakers don't really have to work at all. I get the logic of that, but like I said don't know if it's true.
I used a slant cab with V30's. When I get home I'll be running it into a single V30.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete

You seriously didn't find it had enough gain?

Most people so far have said that it is solely a mid gain rock amp. But for me it was a slushy machine of evilness. I loved cranking everything and getting a really compressed, searing rhythm and lead tone that was ballzy and imperfect sounding.

For me, it's a rather imperfect design and sound. Even though it's more expensive than the 20H in America, it's cheaper over here in Europe - and rightly so. It was a pain to work with as so many sounds were just plain unusable. But for the ones that were usable, they were an enormous amount of fun.

Also, make sure that you play it loudly so that the speakers add the frequencies the amp missed.
Quote by deepsal

lol@you
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by rhino1957
Who has tried this? And what do you think of it?

I've got one, and I loves it....

One channel means in not practical, and lack of cleans means it not versatile, but I still love it...

To get any kind of clean sound you need to keep the preamp volume on 1 and crank the master, and I still get breakup if the guitars volume is up on the bridge p'up..