I've always wanted to be able to play either the cello or the violin(or viola).

Recently I decided I should take up that chance while I still have time to practice oftenly.

However, I have read(on here among other places) that if you aren't taking lessons then you really can't learn how to play the violin...

That really brought me down:/

I was wondering about the cello, or other similar instruments, or am I kind of out of luck by not having money for lessons?

I'm not expecting to become a virtuoso, but to just be able to learn basic songs and jam some cool sounds.
I think it's pretty hard. Some people might pull it off but I think a normal person needs lessons. Violin or Cello.
you can do it, especially if you have a good ear and/or can read music pretty well. it takes years of practice to get a good solid tone though.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Do the viola, so that you can act like a snooty bastard when people compliment you or ask you about your "violin".

That and it sounds cooler.

But yeah, you should get lessons, or at least know some people who play the instrument so that you can confer. I have a friend who picked up the violin after having a stroke and she did it mostly by talking to people who played violin. She is no virtuoso but you sya that's not a problem.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Apr 8, 2011,
I have a friend who's self taught in cello, and he says as long as you can read music it's not that hard. There are websites/youtube videos that can teach you technique and pretty much anything you want to know. But still, by getting a teacher you will learn faster than if you're trying to teach yourself.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
The reason you have a teacher is for constructive critisism.

You need a very good ear and your technique needs to be spot on.. teachers help develop it.

Sure, you can learn violin; but you can't say "that'll do" as soon as you learn a song.

This goes for similar fretless instruments. Fretted instruments are really easy to learn in comparrison- your guitar fretting abilities really help. It's very hard if you have NO musical abilities. Not impossible if you do.

Get an electric violin. It'll save the neighbours from the screeches you'll make as a learner.
They'll feel similar to a normal one.

Also, youtube will pretty much tell you anything, aswell as forums.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder

Get an electric violin. It'll save the neighbours from the screeches you'll make as a learner.
They'll feel similar to a normal one.

No they don't. Electric violins feel like crap and obscures your real playing. They sound even scratchier than a regular violin when you don't know what you're doing.

Just get a teacher, it's worth the investment. You're never going to pick up on the subtle errors that you will inevitably encounter from watching YouTube. If money is an issue, I can give you lessons over Skype at a much lower rate than normal (which is $60-120 an hour).

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by Silent Murder
The reason you have a teacher is for constructive critisism.

You need a very good ear and your technique needs to be spot on.. teachers help develop it.

Sure, you can learn violin; but you can't say "that'll do" as soon as you learn a song.

Good point, if you learn by yourself, you need to whip yourself, practice at turtle-speed. Start off with single-string melody lines, and then practice switching between strings.

There's a LOT to think about technique wise, so save yourself the trouble of learning something incorrectly and watch as many videos/read as much about it as you can.
I played violin for ten years... I never took private lessons but played in school. It makes an immense difference to get lessons and you'll be very, very limited by not having some kind of instruction especially starting from scratch. However there are a lot of videos and things online now that might help, at least they'd be miles more helpful than learning straight from a book, and if you dedicate enough time I'm sure you can find friends who play violin that would be willing to help you out a bit.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I got a cello two years ago. I never took any lessons, but I did google the fundamentals like how to hold the bow, tuning it and all that stuff. At this point, I'm not great, but I can pick it up and play something decent to just about any song. It also helps to put a little piece of white tape where the "frets" would be.
Quote by Xiaoxi
No they don't. Electric violins feel like crap and obscures your real playing. They sound even scratchier than a regular violin when you don't know what you're doing.

Just get a teacher, it's worth the investment. If money is an issue, I can give you lessons over Skype at a much lower rate than normal (which is $60-120 an hour).

That's much lower than normal? Jesus, I used to get lessons from one of the best jazz musicians in Britain for like £10 a half hour

Quote by TheBurningFish
That's much lower than normal? Jesus, I used to get lessons from one of the best jazz musicians in Britain for like £10 a half hour

No I'm saying the normal rate is $60-$120.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

That's still incredible, I didn't realise how well I had it.

Quote by TheBurningFish
That's still incredible, I didn't realise how well I had it.

People's gotta buy food somehow looool.......

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
People's gotta buy food somehow looool.......

If only jaunty tunes could be used as currency. Bah.

Quote by Xiaoxi

Not that I'd even be able to afford yours, but what are your going rates?

Also, to everybody, if I can by no means get any lessons and all I have is the internet, would it be recommended not to do this?
Quote by Naturalchampion

We can negotiate depending on your financial situation. Keep in mind that normally students have to buy their own books which can easily rack up even more cost but I'll provide PDFs for free.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Naturalchampion

Also, to everybody, if I can by no means get any lessons and all I have is the internet, would it be recommended not to do this?

Give it a shot if you really want to. Worst case scenario, you blew some money on a starter violin that's now sitting in a charity shop awaiting some young Paganini cut out, or is going to be used as a tennis racket.

Quote by TheBurningFish
Give it a shot if you really want to. Worst case scenario, you blew some money on a starter violin that's now sitting in a charity shop awaiting some young Paganini cut out, or is going to be used as a tennis racket.

Well, I'd at least keep it and use it as decoration at the VERY least.

I'm not sure if I should go with a cello or violin, I like the smallness of a violin, but I think I would prefer the way the cello is played. I'm not sure if I prefer one sound to the other, possibly the cello a tiny bit more.

But violins are so much cheaper.
Last edited by Naturalchampion at Apr 8, 2011,
I played violin for a few years but ended up selling it at a garage sale a lfetime ago. I have actually been thinking about trying to get my hands on another and trying to re-learn. I am assuming that between the right literature/dvd's it shouldn't be too hard to get it back down.