i have a squire strat and i was wondering how i increase the attack on my guitar? does it have to do with my strum or amp or what? i want that kinda country guitar sound without being acoustic.
the word attack and attacky are vague. your style of picking and picks you use is in my mind your style of attack, and pickups would have great deal to do with the way that your attack sounds. so HomeRecording was on the money. try a variety of picks, both rounded and sharp, and different sizes, this is much cheaper and easier than installing a new pickup. If that is not it take your guitar into a music store and play through one of their amps to see how it sounds. then you might be in the market for some new pickups. given that it is a squier strat, whereas they are decent guitars some of the electronics in them could stand for some modding.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Apr 8, 2011,
i like the sound of my strats neck pickup for a little bluesy twang. what amp are you playing through?
Line 6 M13
a older 15wat peavy not sure on the model the stickers were taken off b4 i got it
if it is a solid state then that will not have the smooth blues twang that you are looking for generally speaking. tube amps tend to be smoother and allow a wider range of tones. however, there are some really great solid state amps out there. it honestly sounds like you have some varying factors that are causing your problems. to make it easy just start with the picks and work from there. decent used strat pickups can be had for under 100
Line 6 M13
I would try messing around with your amp's EQ first. You might not be dialed in for a twangy sound. Try bumping up your mids and highs a little and see if that helps. How would you describe the sound now?

Solution B: Sell the strat and buy a telecaster

EDIT: I just thought of something else... Where are you strumming on the strings? If you strum closer to the neck or middle position then it will result in a warmer tone. But if you strum closer to the bridge it will start to get more sharp and twangy.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Apr 8, 2011,
a lot of country players over-use compressors in order to accentuate the note attack, that might be the sound you're thinking of.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.