Hey guys, got a friend in the US who is willing to ship me a guitar if I pay for it plus shipping myself. Sounds good seeing as the US prices are cheaper than the UK's and I maybe able to get one of the Agiles I've been gassing for.

Just a question though would him marking the guitar as a gift null all custom duty and import tax etc?

Thanks!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I could be wrong, but I think you get taxed based on the overall value of the product being sent over. It doesn't matter if it's classified as a gift. It's not based on what you paid for it, it's based on the value of the item. So yeah, you'd probably have to pay some sort of import tax.

I don't know how much that would be though. It's possible you could still end up paying less even with the tax, if the US prices are that much cheaper.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
If he's nice and says it's a gift then yes it would null all customs and tax fees etc
Quote by 57Goldtop
I could be wrong, but I think you get taxed based on the overall value of the product being sent over. It doesn't matter if it's classified as a gift. It's not based on what you paid for it, it's based on the value of the item. So yeah, you'd probably have to pay some sort of import tax.

I don't know how much that would be though. It's possible you could still end up paying less even with the tax, if the US prices are that much cheaper.

Wrong
Quote by voleurz
If he's nice and says it's a gift then yes it would null all customs and tax fees etc

Totally wrong.

Anything over £135 in value coming into the UK from outside Europe will attract importation tax at 2.5% on musical insrtuments +VAT, plus whatever the company that ships it charges you for handling the charges for you - £18 for royal mail - not sure for other carriers, unless the duty would be less that £9.

There's a load more detail here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#4

Have a look at the gifts from outside the EU section.
Last edited by mark_wuk at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by mark_wuk
Totally wrong.

Anything over £135 in value coming into the UK from outside Europe will attract importation tax at 2.5% on musical insrtuments +VAT, plus whatever the company that ships it charges you for handling the charges for you - £18 for royal mail - not sure for other carriers, unless the duty would be less that £9.

There's a load more detail here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#4

Have a look at the gifts from outside the EU section.

Yeah, that's what I thought...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2