So, im buying new pickups to replace my infinities, but pickups are the only part of electric guitar that i dont really get. I play mostly metal music, but i like prog like porcupine tree too, so i need some versatile pickups. I have been thinking of having a DiMarzio crush lab on bridge and DiMarzio DP evolution on neck. I want pickups that are good for metal but still versatile, price should remain below 100 euros. My guitar is Ibanez S420, im not really sure that does F-spaced pickups fit it. Help appreciated.
Do you prefer actives or passives?
New/used?
Location? (to find used gear)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
The cliche of all cliches.

Bro, I think you'd better of get a new amp.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
I know a good store where i can get new pups(yeah, its thomann). Im not really sure about actives, i have never played with them, if they fit the S and sound good, why not.(you mean like d-activators?)

EDIT:Im getting a new amp too. a Peavey. but i have some money left after that.
I mean like active. Means "requires batteries".
Yeah not actives like that. Im not sure of the difference between "active electronics" and "active pups" and i have no idea which need batteries or do both of them. So passive.

EDIT: about the vypyr, hell no. A fine stack or tube combo for metal use. probaply a 6560+112 combo.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by guitar/bass95
Yeah not actives like that. Im not sure of the difference between "active electronics" and "active pups" and i have no idea which need batteries or do both of them. So passive.

EDIT: about the vypyr, hell no. A fine stack or tube combo for metal use. probaply a 6560+112 combo.

Oh ok, well all actives need batteries, they're just worded differently. I've had EMG's for over a year and a half. Not run flat and I play daily. Just sayin. Good for downtuned most of the time.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Quote by JonnyH
Vypyr?

Yes, a new amp would be ideal. Unfortunately he clearly can't afford one and is asking about pickups. TS, you really should think about a new amp before upgrading your guitar. The amp will give you 80% of the tone you're looking for. Since you're asking about pickups, I'll recommend Dimarzio Evo's or a D-sonic if you're looking for something to belt out metal good.
A newbie question, Doesnt a guitar need a batter cavity for active pups? Mine has no batter cavity.

EDIT: as i already said, A peavey 6560+112 combo or valveking 112 stack is on the shopping list.
I have heard good things about the peaveys. I have played some and they sound amazing. But cant help with the pickups, otherwise than i think seymour duncans are good too.
I have been thinking of duncans, too, but i have no idea which duncans. And ofcourse i wouldnt buy a peavey if they wouldnt sound amazing. But could anyone really help me with the pups now?
Quote by guitar/bass95
A newbie question, Doesnt a guitar need a batter cavity for active pups? Mine has no batter cavity.

EDIT: as i already said, A peavey 6560+112 combo or valveking 112 stack is on the shopping list.

Yes, you do need a space for a battery. It is usually no problem in any guitar as there is enough space in the electrical cavity. If not, get the dremel out
Quote by DroptuneD
Yes, you do need a space for a battery. It is usually no problem in any guitar as there is enough space in the electrical cavity. If not, get the dremel out

Still, i prefer passives, and getting a cavity in the guitar costs money too, and money is what i lack.

EDIT: im running out of time, i might not answer replys anymore, but say what you think of my pickup choices and recommend pups and ill check this out tomorrow.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Apr 8, 2011,