Just a couple of days ago the my advisor who's head of the Drawing and Painting program at my college passed on a client to me who wants his '72 Gibson SG stripped and repainted to look like Eric Clapton's "Fool's Guitar".

Here's a link to see what it looks like:

http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/foolguitar2.jpg

I'm really excited to do the project but have no idea what I should charge someone for a gig like this. I was really hoping some of the good people here could tell me what you would expect to pay if you were asking someone to do this project for you.

All help is greatly appreciated.
R.
Buy this:
Vintage VS6MRF 'Fool' guitar.

Keep SG

OR

Sell SG.

Profit!

Edit:

Seriously though, alot of painters I know charge by the hour on work.

If not, you could buy all the materials, paint it, charge him for materials and then whatever he thinks it's worth on top?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Last edited by Kingyem0c0re at Apr 8, 2011,
+ 1 on the vintage idea.

obviously somehow get the headstock decal off it...

then maybe replace the p-ups so he doesn't notice

then wayhay you have a gibson SG for whatever price you paid for the vintage, minus as well what he gives you for the "paint job"

just sayin'
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
depends what work is invovled , i mean take into account al lyour paints whether its waterbased , two pack and if its a pearl flat colour , metallic etc and base your etimate around that and your prep work
Quote by Dempsey68
+ 1 on the vintage idea.

obviously somehow get the headstock decal off it...

then maybe replace the p-ups so he doesn't notice

then wayhay you have a gibson SG for whatever price you paid for the vintage, minus as well what he gives you for the "paint job"

just sayin'

he would notice. it's not just a matter of replacing the pickups. this is a kalamazoo-built vintage gibson we're talking about, not something that can easily be replaced with a vintage brand replica.

but seriously, why would anyone want to do that to a 1972 SG? i wouldn't do it even if i was offered money. it goes against everything i believe in.

unless it's already in appauling cosmetic condition and already has no resale value, he could be taking potentially thousands worth off the resale value of the guitar. i think you ought to let him know that before going through with it just incase he doesn't know, because not everyone does know these things, because if he realises afterwards and regrets it he'll probably try to blame you for it..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.