Hey guys.

As you know, theres a few of us trying to help set the forum up and gain a sense of community in here.

Would any of you be interested in the Drum Forum having monthly competitions?

It would more than likely result in uploading a video onto Youtube or a recording onto SoundCloud etc.

Would anyone be interested?

For the first competition, I thought that we should just have some fun, and maybe 'Best Drum Solo' would be a good way to start things?

Thoughts and comments?
RIP Tom Searle.
I think we should do a drum cover contest.

We could have someone pick a song each month, and then everyone records either a video or an mp3 of the song
Yeah, that'd be cool.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by TheReverend724
I think we should do a drum cover contest.

We could have someone pick a song each month, and then everyone records either a video or an mp3 of the song

That's a bit tricky, considering the wide range of genres, skill levels, etc. Maybe when the community gets large enough, we can do something along the lines of The Pit's competitions, where we have beginner, intermediate and advanced tiers.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I think I better thing to do would be to pick more pop-type Lady GaGa/Katy Perry-esk songs, because then everyone has pretty much complete freedom, and it'll be interesting to see the different idea's people come up with.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by Skinny91
I think I better thing to do would be to pick more pop-type Lady GaGa/Katy Perry-esk songs, because then everyone has pretty much complete freedom, and it'll be interesting to see the different idea's people come up with.

Yeah, that's a great idea. Then you can go as simple or technical as you like.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Definitely And I think it'll be more evenly matched then, because it's what sounds good as well as technicality.

Or another thing we could do is pick a different genre every month, then much like the Pit guitar thread have 3 different songs of varying difficulty, so if your don't play say, metal, very often and still want to take part, you can pick the easiest one but still be straying out your comfort zone and hopefully learning some new stuff

Edit - Ah Camrock, I didn't see you wrote pretty much the same thing

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Last edited by Skinny91 at Apr 9, 2011,
Also, notice in the Pit how people always sign up and never submit? It completely ruins it.

In here, we should have separate Drum Forum competition rules.

If you sign up and don't submit, you aren't allowed to sign up for the next competition.

And for each competition have a maximum of 10 entrants (First come first served - its the maximum amount of UG poll options) and have 2 people on 'standby' incase people don'y submit. (Also first come first served)

Thoughts?
RIP Tom Searle.
Seconded for the Lonely Island song, love those guys

I'm going to try and do it, but I all depends if I can get my drum kit to not sound like dull thuds through a camera phone tbh. I'll do some stuff today, see if I can sort something out.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
This would be great.
Especially for me seen as it gives me a cover to work towards every month..
We could do it fortnightly to limit the amount of entries so we don't have to split into different tiers?
Alejandro would be cool, I'm gonna be rubbish but it would be fun
As a non-drummer i say this would be awesome to watch,and vote.

"Battle not with monsters,
lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you
."

I think it's a good idea, Im not sure how it would work though. Who is gonna rate all the drummers? Would the competition be broken down into different genres or would you just keep it simple like best drum solo, fastest feet, best breakdown, best original drum track. Everyone has a different preference so we would have to find a way to make it unbiased. If somebody wanted to man up and throw in a few giveaways like new drum heads, sticks, click pads it would inspire people a lot more as well.
I think it should just be done as which sounds the best, then the voters can be anyone who didn't take part. That way even if someone plays something very simple, it could be better than someone overplaying the whole song.

Or we could have set things to vote on out of 10, such as groove and technicality, then person with the overall score wins, but perhaps that is getting to complicated

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Sorry for the double post, but was wondering if we should get these drum competitions going soon to (hopefully) get the forum a bit more active, even if its just choosing a song and maybe sorting out who is taking part.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
gr8 idea. I think we should organise one for soon, maybe the beginning of may or something? I suppose we could start off with something like a simple pop song to elaborate on with the drums and maybe think about diversifying from there? Possibly things like original compositions and cover versions as well, once we're feeling we've got it off the ground...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Polls are a good idea, as are monthly rather than weekly, but remember to leave enough time for people to think, create, submit, prepare thread, vote and announce winners.

All of this would have to all be done within the month, but if you give it one week to listen to the song and think things over, a week during which you can record/submit, a week for voting and then a week to bask in their victory, I think everybody would be quite happy.

You'd need somebody with reliable internet to spearhead them all, with a back-up person helping out. Also, constantly remind people that there aren't any prizes beyond, say, the announcement and bragging rights.

By the way, don't forget that UG allows uploaded mp3s/playing skills. You could easily submit using those. You could even make a drum forum album to make the whole world aware of you.

So yeah, go do it.
I'll see to this when I get back from University. This WILL happen.

I'll get onto it in around 8 hours.
RIP Tom Searle.
Sweet MH Going to be fun

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
This is awesome. I would love to help to put this together, helping to choose songs and judging...

Let's do this!

(I sent you a PM, MH400)
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.