Page 1 of 2
......is now in the Oxford English Dictionary!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12893416

So what do we think of that, Pit?

An honest reflection of modern speech and culture. Or a surefire omen of our language/society's imminent doom?
Language evolves. Anyone upset by this is a bitch.
Check out my band Disturbed
Hrmm, I'm tempted to say doom. However a lexicographer would say different, if a word is in common use it should be added to dictionaries. Dictionaries shouldn't be some sort of word-bible (in the sense that if it isn't in the dictionary, it's not a word, I now realise this is a terrible analogy) but just a book showing words in common use.

You won't catch me vocalising LOL any time soon.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I dont care on the internet, and it really doesnt matter to me that its in the dictionary. But I hate it when people say it in real life. Like Im an averagely funny person and when people say LOL instead of laughing it pisses me off
you're a stone fox
"But it also conveys something subtle - depending on the situation. It means more than just 'funny'. For example, if I had my bike stolen, my friend might reply 'LOL'. It helps overcome an awkward moment."

Hmmmm. Interesting, at least.
LOL isn't a word, it's an acronym.

Why is this in the dictionary?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

Acronyms make it into the dictionary too, and it could be argued that it's become a word in its own right.

I haven't seen the Oxford entry yet though so it's hard to say
Quote by strat0blaster

So is laser.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Saint78
I dont care on the internet, and it really doesnt matter to me that its in the dictionary. But I hate it when people say it in real life. Like Im an averagely funny person and when people say LOL instead of laughing it pisses me off

Laughing is a largely uncontrollable response to things that are funny, I think if someone were to say LOL "instead of" laughing, it would be because they didn't find it funny, like the Cheezburger guy in the article says.

It's silly to think a verbalization of LOL would in any way replace real laughter.

EDIT: I am also extremely guilty of verbalizing LOL ironically... I guess I'm just a good-god-damned hipster.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by Nickpocalypse
it would be because they didn't find it funny, like the Cheezburger guy in the article says.

I said averagely.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Laughing is a largely uncontrollable response to things that are funny, I think if someone were to say LOL "instead of" laughing, it would be because they didn't find it funny, like the Cheezburger guy in the article says.

It's silly to think a verbalization of LOL would in any way replace real laughter.

EDIT: I am also extremely guilty of verbalizing LOL ironically... I guess I'm just a good-god-damned hipster.

My friend got me into saying "lol" IRL. It's addictive.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's LAUGH out loud not laughing.

F*cking Oxford.

Watch my link. The expert of all experts ever says it's "laughing". There's no denial.
I heard your grandmother passed away, LOL.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by RU Experienced?
Acronyms aren't words so I'm befuddled.

Exactly what I said on the last page. Since when is this crap making it into the dictionary?

Sorry if I sound like a grammar snob, but putting LOL in the dictionary is like letting a bum with a scalpel and a printed BA from Google operate on you.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Oxford shouldve done a poll first the there would be less of a brouhaha.
you're a stone fox
Quote by strat0blaster
Exactly what I said on the last page. Since when is this crap making it into the dictionary?

Sorry if I sound like a grammar snob, but putting LOL in the dictionary is like letting a bum with a scalpel and a printed BA from Google operate on you.

Have you ever looked in a dictionary?!

Jeez. Of course there are acronyms in the dictionary. And this crap is making it into the dictionary since we started using it. That's how words get into the dictionary, through frequency usage.

Hence you'll also find 'chav', 'jaffa cake', 'minger' etc in the OED.

(No way, the dictionary even has their own approved acronym LOL)
Quote by strat0blaster

Come on, what about light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation?
Most people just say laser, it's in the dictionary too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Have you ever looked in a dictionary?!

Jeez. Of course there are acronyms in the dictionary. And this crap is making it into the dictionary since we started using it. That's how words get into the dictionary, through frequency usage.

Hence you'll also find 'chav', 'jaffa cake', 'minger' etc in the OED.

(No way, the dictionary even has their own approved acronym LOL)

Yeah, I've looked in a dictionary many times throughout my life, and it must have been a while since, because I never saw something as asinine as LOL in one.

Maybe I'm dating myself here, but when I was young enough to need to use one frequently, it was to make myself more intelligent, not find the most 'grammatically correct' way to shout "LOL U M8D ME LAFF" at someone.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by fortysix&2
Come on, what about light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation?
Most people just say laser, it's in the dictionary too.

You're actually trying to draw a parallel between the acronyms 'laser' and 'LOL' in terms of linguistic and/or social value in a positive manner?

I think I'm backing out of this thread...

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
You're actually trying to draw a parallel between the acronyms 'laser' and 'LOL' in terms of linguistic and/or social value in a positive manner?

Yeah you should.

You don't understand dictionaries. They document all the words, not just the positive social valued ones.
Quote by strat0blaster

Don't you even think it's a bit weird that it's accepted as a word now and it doesn't even need to be capitalised anymore? Don't you think this same argument should have happened with that word also? Just sayin'
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by strat0blaster

you're the one being a bitch about it (only using that term because StewieSwan summed it up perfectly), comparing putting an extremely commonly used acronym in a book thats purpose is to reference commonly used words and acronyms with letting a bum perform surgery. I forgot that there would be such dire consequences about this that it is as dangerous to human life as playing amateur surgeon IRL.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I have no problem with the fact that it is an acronym, but it is almost strictly used via text rather than expressed verbally which is a bit weird. Nevertheless, I don't see why anyone would be petty enough to be upset over this. Who cares?
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
i only use it online, but i use it quite often. id say its more relevant that some of the words in there.

maybe they should start a one in one out method.
now extra flamey
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah you should.

You don't understand dictionaries. They document all the words, not just the positive social valued ones.

Hey - you wanna throw a party for stupid additions to a book that's supposed to have some value, be my guest. I'm not thrilled about it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Hey - you wanna throw a party for stupid additions to a book that's supposed to have some value, be my guest. I'm not thrilled about it.

The institution has value as a descriptive guide to language. People use 'lol'. Therefore it is in the language.

You prescriptivists have it all backwards
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
The institution has value as a descriptive guide to language. People use 'lol'. Therefore it is in the language.

You prescriptivists have it all backwards

Had to look that one up! Glad they decided to name themselves
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by fortysix&2
Had to look that one up! Glad they decided to name themselves

Hope you used the OED
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Hope you used the OED

Websters... Just kidding!http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0479030#m_en_gb0479030
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Page 1 of 2