Hi All,

I am learning to play Spanish romance. I am currently at the part 2- beginning where you need to barre on the 2nd fret.

Well the question being, i am experiencing pain when i try to play this position. To begin with, i cannot finger the chord properly '(can not get a decent clearance at the top , so there is a dead string) & i find my hand is in a strange position to begin with. Which usually ends up shooting pain down my wrist.

Being safe i do not over do it. I can play barre chords alright, but there are some stretches which are being a complete pain.

Is this something normal ? Is there a better way i can get stronger with stretches ? Or should i just play through the pain and one day I'll get there

Cheers!
a little bit of pain is normal. however if its really hurting I dont think its a good idea to play through it as you can actually mess up your joints or tendons.

im a drummer and after sitting through a painful drumming session I got tendinitis and I couldn't play for about 2 weeks.

its hard to explain to you what you are doing wrong online, for all we know it could be anything from the way you sit, to the position of your thumb, your guitars action etc....

my best advice for you is to get a teacher, or ask a friend that plays guitar whos more experienced than you.

keep in mind this song is harder on the hands if you are playing on a steel string guitar. its much easier to play on a nylon.
You're on the way to tendonitis and RSI if you play through shooting pains in your wrist.

Barring on guitar should not take that much effort at all, it's the way you're sitting that's not allowing your wrist to take the best position possible or you're not holding the guitar correctly to begin with.

Don't play through the pain, work on your left hand technique instead, try to be as relaxed as possible, and keep your wrist straight, not bent. If your wrist still hurts when it's straight, you're gripping the neck too hard and not placing your fingers on the fretboard correctly.

Quote by chris4355
keep in mind this song is harder on the hands if you are playing on a steel string guitar. its much easier to play on a nylon.

No it's not, getting a good sound out of a steel string is much easier than on a nylon string and the neck is thinner on a steel string, you can get away with poor barre technique much easier than on a nylon string. If you find the steel string harder to play, you're using too much tension in your playing.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by XianXiuHong

No it's not, getting a good sound out of a steel string is much easier than on a nylon string and the neck is thinner on a steel string, you can get away with poor barre technique much easier than on a nylon string. If you find the steel string harder to play, you're using too much tension in your playing.

i think we can agree to disagree.... and you kinda contradict yourself in our own paragraph anyway.
Quote by chris4355
i think we can agree to disagree.... and you kinda contradict yourself in our own paragraph anyway.

Read.

Quote by HGedia
Thanks guys! I unfortunately do not know other players in-person. So I am short-handed on it. Does this guy speaketh the truth ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7vflaHIxB8

Since i do have a nice bend on the neck while fingering barre chords.

Cheers!

You can drop your left shoulder a bit to straighten out that wrist instead of bending it, it will protect your wrist from injury. Watch guys like John Williams or Marco Tamayo drop their shoulders when they barre or need to play something that otherwise would require them to bend their wrist.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A

Check that out at about 1:10, his wrist is perfectly straight.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Apr 8, 2011,
There should be no pain in your wrist whatsoever.

Get this fixed NOW, before it becomes a habit that gives you carpel tunnel.
everything XianXiuHong says is completely correct. you are risking injury that may not go away.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!