I have a quick question on tuning. Ive never actually learned the notes and whether to tune up or down to get a certain note. I just bought a new guitar today and its pretty out of whack tuning wise I think but am not certain. Its close on the top string and last two but I believe the middle 3 may be off. The 5th string reads G#, the 4th C#, and the third F#.(from the top down). Im going for an e flat tuning as most of my music is played in e flat. I feel like im not a guitarist for asking but I need to know how and if I need to fix this.

Thanks

EDIT: My guitars have always been close to the tuning I was using so it was easy to tune it back up and is why I dont know this info.
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Apr 8, 2011,
Eb
Ab
Db
Gb
Bb
Eb

That is the tuning you are looking for. you are reading it as one step down that is sharp. Sharp tuning is the same thing as flat tuning. they are just a different way of saying it.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Last edited by iceh88 at Apr 8, 2011,
Quote by iceh88
Eb
Ab
Db
Gb
Bb
Eb

That is the tuning you are looking for

Yes I have that but my question is how do I get there from what I have do I tune up or down
it sounds like your already there if you have the guitar tuned to G#C#F#. Tune to D#G#C#F#A#D#. So if a few strings are in standard you have to tune down.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
it sounds like your already there if you have the guitar tuned to G#C#F#. Tune to D#G#C#F#A#D#. So if a few strings are in standard you have to tune down.

Ah gotcha so the sharps are basically a variation of the flats.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Ah gotcha so the sharps are basically a variation of the flats.

Kinda, they're called enharmonic notes.

It goes A-A#(Bb)-B-C-C#(Db)-D-D#(Eb)-E-F-F#(Gb)-G-G#(Ab).

When there's a sharp coupled with a flat in parentheses, it means they're the same note. It sounds the same, it just has a different name.