Hi guys

what do you prefer a traditional Gibson Lp or a Gibson custom LP?.what in your opinion makes them different?. im looking at getting a Les Paul and want as much input from everyone as possible

Cheers Carl
everything about them is different.

who, what, where, and to a degree how.

it's one of those things where if you can afford the custom, why wouldn't you?

or get a custom shop standard that's as similar as they can make today to the old ones?

i mean, differences are quality of woods, body routing, tuners, fretboard wood used, body binding...

are you looking for construction differences? tone difference? weights?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
weight wise im not bothered
but You just hear that the build quality is better on the custom
what's the difference between the 2 guitars .
which one would you get and why?
i have a prs 2004 22 mccarty which one is most like this guitar.

Thanks Carl
I've had a Les Paul Custom, and my dad has a Les Paul Studio from the 80's which is essentially a standard with dot inlays and different pickups.
I like the Studio better, because it is a lighter guitar, making it not as painful to play for a long time.
The tone is personal preference between the two, If your into metal, a pickup change would probaby be needed for either guitar.
The necks on either guitar will be good, Customs are a bit thicker i belive. THe Ebony Fretboard and mother of pearl inlays are definately what make customs so great, but there is nothing wrong with the rosewood boards with the trapezoids.

In my opinion Customs look a lot better, but the standards and traditionals seem a lot more practical. I'm sure there are some models out there the offer the best of both guitars. I think Heritage, ESP, and Dean make some good Les Paul Clones
oh I see.the reason i ask is i like the idea of having a traditional it seems that the custom is more expensive purely because its just more pretty etc.does that ebony fret board make a lot of difference to the feel and play of the guitar .also some one said to me that the traditional is mass production and the custom is not is this true? and is the build quality better and more consistent on the custom?
Quote by Rosewood55
oh I see.the reason i ask is i like the idea of having a traditional it seems that the custom is more expensive purely because its just more pretty etc.does that ebony fret board make a lot of difference to the feel and play of the guitar .also some one said to me that the traditional is mass production and the custom is not is this true? and is the build quality better and more consistent on the custom?

Well the quality should be top notch on either guitar, no matter what factory its built in. The Les Paul Custom is built in the Gibson Custom Shop, which is just another section of the Gibson factory. Its kinda a joke in my opinion. The Ebony Fretboard might make a bit of a difference to you, but it depends on the way you play. I play with light strings and I usually play hard, so for me, there is a bit of a noticable difference between the two woods. On paper the guitars may look almost the same, except the few noticable changes, but when you acutally play the guitars, theyre usually VERY different.