Hey... I own an Eden Nemesis 320W bass head and a Peavey 4x10 350W cabinet. I just got the head and noticed that it was getting incredibly hot every time I played it through this cabinet. However, it doesn't do this with any other cabinet. Any suggestions to what is happening?

Thanks
i heard bad things happen if you use a normal guitar cable as a speaker cable, that could be it?
Do you use the same cable when you use it through other cabinets? I don't think it could be an impedance problem unless one of the speakers in your cab is faulty.
Phil Starr?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
If the other cab is a different impedance, it could very well be the problem. For example, his head is running at 16 ohms and his other cab (the one that works well) is also 16 ohms, we have a good match. If the cab that makes it run hot is 8 ohms, that's not good.

Also, do not use a microphone or instrument cable to drive a cab or speaker. This is bad and will cause problems.
Is it peaking and distorted as well? Just because your cab rates at 350 doesn't mean you should blast all 320 of your amp through it, leave some headroom.

Whats the impedance of the cab and head?
Quote by KG6_Steven
If the other cab is a different impedance, it could very well be the problem. For example, his head is running at 16 ohms and his other cab (the one that works well) is also 16 ohms, we have a good match. If the cab that makes it run hot is 8 ohms, that's not good.

Also, do not use a microphone or instrument cable to drive a cab or speaker. This is bad and will cause problems.

Find a me a solid state bass amp that runs at 16 ohms. In fact I don't think any of the bass tube amps do either. I've never seen a 16ohm bass amp head or bass cabinet in my life.
All bass amps I've seen run with a 8 ohm minimum load and either 4 (most common) or 2 ohm (rare to see, but there's a few out there) maximum, and one Peavey cab is either going to be 8 ohm or 4 ohm. Thus, it shouldn't be causing problems if it's in good working condition.
But hey, I could be wrong. But I doubt it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Apr 8, 2011,
Well, I'm a guitar player, so I only speak from that experience. Additionally, I don't own any solid state amps - only tube. Thanks for the bass amp info. I'll tuck it away for future reference.
Quote by consecutive e
Find a me a solid state bass amp that runs at 16 ohms. In fact I don't think any of the bass tube amps do either. I've never seen a 16ohm bass amp head or bass cabinet in my life.
All bass amps I've seen run with a 8 ohm minimum load and either 4 (most common) or 2 ohm (rare to see, but there's a few out there) maximum, and one Peavey cab is either going to be 8 ohm or 4 ohm. Thus, it shouldn't be causing problems if it's in good working condition.
But hey, I could be wrong. But I doubt it.

He could be putting a 4 ohm cab into an 8 ohm head (or he could have one of those amps that outputs something at 4 ohms and something else at 8 ohms, and plugged the cab into the wrong thing)
The NA 320 is 320 watts @ 4ohm and 200 @ 8.
Checking the inputs is a good idea. But I would've thought continous use at the wrong impedance would completely fry the head, making it unusable all together.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Apr 9, 2011,
The speaker cable is working fine and the impedances match! I'm going to take it to a tech tomorrow.
Thanks a lot for your input though.
With SS amps you can use any cab that is higher impedance than what your amp is rated, so usin an 8ohm cab with a 4ohm head is nothing bad. You'll just get less wattage.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu