Im 16 and have limited funds for a home studio to record guitar. I have a lap top thats about 5 or 6 years old and pro tools basic with a cheap fast track usb interface and a mic that came with my sisters piano.

I need to know where i should put most of money, in a new sound card? mic? should i buy an isolation cab? or buy recording/mixing unti like the ones made buy boss?

Also Pro tools wont start recording. i have the record button flashing and online it says that once it recieves a signal it should start but in never does, however audacity dosent have a problem. The laptop was wiped and so i had the OS and drivers reinstalled. could one of the drivers be missing? and if so which one.
Get a new interface and start learning Reaper.

Trust me, with Pro Tools you gotta know your shit and its not a good daw to start on. Download Reaper and start using it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
^ i second lockwolfs suggestion. if you have money leftover buy a better mic.

i guess the best question is how limited are your funds?
I recommend Ableton, it is real friendly for new users.
buy or download your choice.

Priorities:
1- Your computer! this is the backbone and the brain of the studio.. the faster, the newer , the more space it has, the better the overall experience will be for you!!

2 - Your Audio Interface!! get an external one, for starters all you need is one with an insrument in and mic in I suggest:
a) Guitar Rig 3 (will work perfectly as an audio interface and it includes guitar rig 4 which you will use as a vst plugin)
b) Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 (same thing with slightly better quality but just one instrument input )
c) Edirol... forgot the name, but it sould be oin the same price class , superb quality.. im gonna get one asap

3) a pair of studio monitors.
Tannoy make real good and cheap entry level ones.

Have fun
I believe in Pro Tools to start recording you click on the Record button, and then hit Play or press the space bar (same thing).
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I suggest you to use Reaper or some other fre and user friendly software..also don't buy mic inteast get a amp sim software to record guitars,because with a mic you will have to consider many more aspect to get a good sound such as mic placement distance and stuff,not to mention that you need a good amp and good mic costs a lot,get a decent pair of monitors like the M audio AV40 or inferior..they are decent and cheap,and a good USB audio card and you are good to go
I'd say monitors and room are the most important thing. if you can't accurately hear what you're working on, then the end result will never sound as good as it can.
Quote by Slashiepie
1- Your computer! this is the backbone and the brain of the studio.. the faster, the newer , the more space it has, the better the overall experience will be for you!!

As true as it is, it all comes down to resource management. I've recorded 8 track sessions (Vocals, 2 Guitar, Bass & drums) on a netbook before. Each track had some sort of plugin on it (EQ, Comp, Amp Sim) but it ran quite smoothly.
Quote by lockwolf
As true as it is, it all comes down to resource management. I've recorded 8 track sessions (Vocals, 2 Guitar, Bass & drums) on a netbook before. Each track had some sort of plugin on it (EQ, Comp, Amp Sim) but it ran quite smoothly.

true, macs especially tend to work good under stress.
however ableton at least seems to really suffer when you put 2 or more guitar tracks together..
Pro tools is way smarter managing memory from what I heard.

Arent you a Zdaemon player ?
Quote by jkomer3

Also Pro tools wont start recording. i have the record button flashing and online it says that once it recieves a signal it should start but in never does, however audacity dosent have a problem. The laptop was wiped and so i had the OS and drivers reinstalled. could one of the drivers be missing? and if so which one.

You also have to arm the track you're trying to record on and set it to the proper input. Once you have armed your track you should be able to hit "3" on the keypad to start recording.
Quote by Slashiepie
Arent you a Zdaemon player ?

Shit, I haven't played in forever but yeah :p
I got about $100 and a guitar I could trade or sell it's worth about $400