I have a jackson and esp ltd with 9 gauges, use them only for metal and shredding. I have my USA fender strat with kinman pups and a rio grande. Its my blues/ rock n roll guitar. It has 10 gauge strings, and im thinking of trying 13 gauges just for the hell of it. I wont drop tune it. I hear SRV did this and it gives better tone.
Will this bow my neck severely? How will it affect tone? Thanks.
I think you'll need to set it up for the new gauge, other than that, it should be ok.
music = happiness

THAT IS IRRELEVANT TO THE CONVERSATION... unless you want to make it relevant
A jump from 10s to 13s is huge. No. MASSIVE. You'd be much better off trying 11s first and adjusting the guitar accordingly.
Quote by Somekid94
A jump from 10s to 13s is huge. No. MASSIVE. You'd be much better off trying 11s first and adjusting the guitar accordingly.

You could snap your neck with that.

I don't own a Strat but I'm actually doubting if you could even get 13s in there without a very strong truss rod, which I highly doubt Fender puts on their priority list. Fender isn't exactly known for their ability to play Drop B or lower.
Last edited by Immora at Apr 8, 2011,
Your tone will change considerably, and it will be much closer to that of SRV. However, the playability will also change considerably. You'll have to play with much more force to get the sound you want.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
you guys are little gulls, i jumped from 10s to 12s on my squier '51, the neck bowed, but very little, i just gave the truss rod a 1/3 turn and it's fine. Of course you'll have to get used to the playability, bends have to travel considerably further to get the full pitch climb, but the tone is great.

if you're down, I say go to 12's then move onto 13s if you think you're ready.

edit: you might also want to tighten the tuners' little handle things, to make sure they dont move when you bend.
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 9, 2011,
.13's? Dang, dude. I only play .12s on my acoustic, and .11's or .10's on my electrics.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I had 13s on my acoustic, its hard to play but fun!

I think im gonna buy some 12s right now, and i might go up to 13.

Yeah, i'm not gonna SNAP MY NECK with 13 gauge strings, haha.
If you're gonna put .13s on it in Standard, I'd set it up for .13s for sure. I love the tone bigger strings pump out though, I use .12s in Standard on my ML(and when I put it in Eb when my Schecter gets in I may very well use .13s on it) and it's got a considerably ballsier, punchier tone than it did when I used .10s(I swapped the pickups later, which made it even better, but even with the crappy Dean Zebra pickups it came with it was noticable). I have rather jittery fingers too, so I find it easier to play with .12s, and I don't have any trouble doing 1 1/2 step bends.

So...I say go for it, but set it up!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
if you're used to 9s or 10s, if you're anything like me, a jump to 13s will be hilarious, for all the wrong reasons.

13s don't sound better, they sound different.

Will they make you sound more like SRV? If you can play like SRV (and more's the point, still play like SRV with 13s), maybe.

If not, not so much. You'll sound more like SRV using 9s or 10s if you can actually bend them.

People get all caught up in the string gauge, or the chip/exact model of his tubescreamer, and seem to forget that SRV was a TOTAL FUCKING BADASS on guitar. If you don't sound like SRV there's a good chance you can't play like him. Go practice more.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you're used to 9s or 10s, if you're anything like me, a jump to 13s will be hilarious, for all the wrong reasons.

13s don't sound better, they sound different.

Will they make you sound more like SRV? If you can play like SRV (and more's the point, still play like SRV with 13s), maybe.

If not, not so much. You'll sound more like SRV using 9s or 10s if you can actually bend them.

People get all caught up in the string gauge, or the chip/exact model of his tubescreamer, and seem to forget that SRV was a TOTAL FUCKING BADASS on guitar. If you don't sound like SRV there's a good chance you can't play like him. Go practice more.

he didnt say he wanted to sound or be like SRV, he said he heard SRV used 13s and got better tone.

just do it if you havent already OP, use 12s though and give the truss rod two 1/3 turns 2 hours apart

i got used to playing 12s from 10s in a matter of days, and Im almost to the point of getting those full SRV bends.

I put them on 4 days ago
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 9, 2011,
you can do it no problem. might want to do a nut adjustment.

although the string you can buy now that are labeled 13s aren't really anything super heavy.

From Dr website.

13 17 26 36 46 56

12s

12 15 24 32 42 52

remember that the bigger the string the less each gauge difference makes.

The 2 bottom strings are heavier. The fourth string is a lot heavier. The top too string are barely.

I find it impossible to play with a 12-52 set anyway. The set I run on my lp is a 12-60.

I'd want a 65 at the very least for a 13 set.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by SKArface McDank
he didnt say he wanted to sound or be like SRV, he said he heard SRV used 13s and got better tone.

no, he said he heard srv did it, and it gives better tone.

Granted he didn't say he wanted to sound like SRV (my mistake), but he also didn't say that it only gave SRV better tone.

I stand by my original statement- bigger strings sound different. You may like the change, or you may not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?