http://soundcloud.com/technoguyx/tripcountry

Well, lately I've been actually messing with the whole process of recording and here's the result, so far. It's a WIP since I still need to add vocals and maybe double track the bass, but I need some critique and I assumed I'd get it here. ;P

The song itself is meant to be a rock song with a slight raw, country-ish feel about a guy leaving his city to live in the country. It's based on something I wrote like 2 years ago when I was still a guitar noob.

If anyone's wondering, guitars are a bit noisy (even after applying noise gate) since my only guitar so far is a crap strat copy, and the drums are made in Addictive Drums within FL Studio, which I used to record and mix everything.

So yeah, I'd love to get some recording tips and constructive criticism.
sounds pretty good to me. Obviously it feels a bit empty without vocals, and repeats alot. The solo was good, like'd that alot, fit the song really well!

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26886895#post26886895
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
sounds good the drums sound like they need a little tweaking to me with the volacity maby
what did u use to record the guitar
Good stuff, there's a really nice frame for a good song there, would love to hear it with vocals!

I wouldn't double track the bass, either compress it a little or use parallel compression (2 duplicate tracks one clean and one compressed).

If you want that rhythm guitar to sound bigger create a duplicate, pan the first left and the other right (how much is up to you, but try 50% and experiment from there) and then delay one of the tracks (in the region of 30ms, again experiment to find a good sound).

I'd bring out the solo guitar more, reduce the amount of reverb on it a little, and maybe some light compression. Bear in mind if you have noisy guitars compression will make them noisier!

Good luck man! C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430221
Quote by johnnycakes010
sounds good the drums sound like they need a little tweaking to me with the volacity maby
what did u use to record the guitar

I used Guitar Rig 4 for pretty much everything but the drums, with an USB adapter thingy. Yeah the drums are a bit too intense if that's what you meant by "volacity" (velocity, I assume), might mess a little with that for the final version.

EDIT:

Quote by Cyberbob
Good stuff, there's a really nice frame for a good song there, would love to hear it with vocals!

I wouldn't double track the bass, either compress it a little or use parallel compression (2 duplicate tracks one clean and one compressed).

If you want that rhythm guitar to sound bigger create a duplicate, pan the first left and the other right (how much is up to you, but try 50% and experiment from there) and then delay one of the tracks (in the region of 30ms, again experiment to find a good sound).

I'd bring out the solo guitar more, reduce the amount of reverb on it a little, and maybe some light compression. Bear in mind if you have noisy guitars compression will make them noisier!

Good luck man! C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430221

If you meant I should double track the rhythm, I already did but I had no idea about the delay thing... Might mess with that too. Thanks for the tips on the solo guitar and bass too, will check out yours.
Last edited by technoguyx at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by technoguyx

If you meant I should double track the rhythm, I already did but I had no idea about the delay thing... Might mess with that too. Thanks for the tips on the solo guitar and bass too, will check out yours.

If it's an actual double track then just pan the two tracks left and right. If you use a duplicate you need to delay the other track, otherwise it just sounds like a louder mono version.

Do as much experimenting as possible, just make sure you hold onto your original
It sounds good - good recording quality.
Does need some vocals but as you said they are soon to come. The guitar does seem repetitive as it keeps playing and nothing really happening.
I used Guitar Rig 4 for pretty much everything but the drums, with an USB adapter thingy. Yeah the drums are a bit too intense if that's what you meant by "volacity" (velocity, I assume), might mess a little with that for the final version.

EDIT:
yea that's what i was saying i cant spell lol
and yea guitar rig is nice i use it myself liking the tone