I'm looking for a string-through double cutaway superstrat or strat. My budget is roughly $800 US. I specifically want something that looks good and has a good set of pickups. If the pickups are bad, the total cost of replacing must be under $800.

So far I've looked at a Jackson DK2T, an ESP LTD H-1001FM, and an ESP LTD MH-1000NT. My current main guitar is a Jackson Kelly KE3, but the FR is very annoying. However, I am very satisfied with Jackson as a brand. I was initially just going to grab the Dinky, but it looks a little boring to me. The binding on the Deluxe LTDs is to die for, but I don't know much about the brand or the playability.

Note that I did say strat earlier, if it's an HH or an HSH I'll consider. No FR, non locking trems will be considered.

I am partial to Seymour Duncan. The DK2T and the MH-1000 come with them stock, which is a huge bonus. EMGs are fine as well.

I want a more bright and unusual color than black. Trans black would be considered. White would be fine with something like a black pickguard and black hardware, but solid white is boring.

Body and neck woods don't matter as much. I don't care about bolt-on, neck through, or set, as long as the setup is quality work.

No Deans.

All other suggestions are very welcome.

It doesn't matter but if someone wants to know:
I play metal (70-80's particularly), neoclassical shred, and I dabble in prog. I'm running through a 4 cabled Boss GT-10 and a Peavey XXX 112. My favorite bands are Megadeth and Iron Maiden. My favorite guitarist is Marty Friedman.
Last edited by Immora at Apr 9, 2011,
If you can find a Jackson SLS3 (not the one with EMGs, the one with duncans) used you should be set. I've seen them go for a bit over $800 (Probably closer to $900 :/ ) but it's MIJ, neck thru, 24 frets, and string thru.

IF not most people here will tell you that the LTD MH-1000 is an excellent guitar and great for the price.
The neck on the LTDs is very very very slightly thicker than the typical Jackson neck in my experience. I'd suggest you try and ESP or LTD with the Thin U neck profile if you can't trry the exact one you're looking at.
How about the Ibanez RGA42FM? I know it wasn't suggested but an all around good hardtail decent pickups pretty good overall.
Quote by voleurz

I mentioned that in the OP.

Quote by kharn_tb
How about the Ibanez RGA42FM? I know it wasn't suggested but an all around good hardtail decent pickups pretty good overall.

The price is good but with a pickup swap it's getting up to the same as the other models. I feel like Ibanez is always pretty poor for the price. You're always paying for the name.

Quote by siverstorm
WHAT?

-le tear-

Sorry.
White with black binding like you can get on a lot of Jacksons is cool, but solid white just doesn't do it for me.
there's a new charvel pro mod wildcard coming out which is HS and hardtail.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks good, thanks. I love Charvel but I doubt that's going to be in the price range.
how much are the other charvels in the US? The wildcards normally are a little more money, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tom 1.0
Jim Root Strat?

there a little over 800 bucks.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much are the other charvels in the US? The wildcards normally are a little more money, though.

$900-1100.
Here Pro Mods actually go for a little less than production models.

Quote by Tom 1.0
Jim Root Strat?

That's $1500. Used probably won't even be $1000.

Quote by liampje
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1451
Superstrat.
Vintage pickups.
Versatile.
Sustain improving tight end bridge new from ibanez.
What do you want more?

I love it but the pickups are going to have to go. It would be fine if I could find one used but I can't find one anywhere.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
You could buy a Schecter C-1 Artist II or C-1 Custom for like $300-$400 used.

I'll look into them.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Jim Root Strat?

they havent exactly made a lot of them so I expect them to hold a bit of value as well.
(they're not in stock at fender so they're still making mine)
Quote by Immora
$900-1100.
Here Pro Mods actually go for a little less than production models.

ah ok.

yeah the pro mods are a lot less here. I just meant the wildcard pro mods were normally slightly more than the bog standard pro mods.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quick Update: I've narrowed it down to either the LTD MH-1000NT or a Carvin Custom. I'm not sure why I didn't think of the Carvin before, but it's definitely in the top 2 even though it's going to be ~$400 more, and even more than that with a pickup swap.

I'm looking for opinions on the two.
I haven't tried any carvins, though they get a good rep.

Big problem is, if you're willing to up your budget for the Carvin, why not for other things?

I mean I'm not saying not to go for the carvin, but if you are willing to up your budget by $400 you need to be checking out all the other available options at the same price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's a fair point, but the reason I include Carvin is because it is a semi-custom, meaning I can get just about anything I want on it. I'd be very surprised if something else costs the same and gives me the same or more for the value.

So the questions that arise are: A. Is the Carvin worth the extra cost, and B. Would the Carvin even be better than the LTD?
I haven't tried them but I would imagine the carvin would be better than the ltd. Could be wrong, though.

But I'm sure there are other places a bit like carvin. Granted carvin is probably the best-known.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?