Hey guys, I'm back.

I recently just sold my tt.

My budget is now 500-600$

I play pop/punk/alternative. (SUM41,ANBERLIN,TAKING BACK SUNDAY, WE THE KINGS)

I'm on my local craigslist, and I pretty much summed it up to buying a used marshall.

I'm wondering what to get, ( it's not a vs thread, * atleast i hope not *

I'm deciding on a TSL 60 or a DSL 50. ( both i'm finding at 500-600$ )
* I can't try out these amps, as since I can't drive.

One of my favorite bands uses the tsl 60, anberin, and my other uses dsl 50's, sum.

I need decent cleans/ decent distortions, @ gig volumes.

I don't know what pedals to use for this genre, but i'm building a set.

I so far have.
- EarnieBall Volume Pedal Jr.
- Boss Tu-2
- Boss DD-6
- Boss BF-2
- Boss DS-2

i hope someone helps me out, and give me alil unbiased rating on both these amps, and some pedals i may need down the future. i'm very creative with my music, but so ignorant to know what to use.

Thank you.

- iheargator.
Quote by xevious1
for the punk sound the boss ds-1 works great, and punk can really be played out of anything thats the beauty of punk rock there are no rules.

Thanks for the reply, I have a ds-2, that I got from a friend for free. it's sounds okay, but I haven't really gotten to setup a pedalboard yet. I just have a bunch of random pedals.
Mostly just use the tuner, but will start when I build my pedalboard.
Quote by xevious1
for the punk sound the boss ds-1 works great, and punk can really be played out of anything thats the beauty of punk rock there are no rules.

Well, some would care to disagree with that statement. It depends on what era of punk you're going for, but most Punk bands have all used pretty decent equipment. JTM45's, Hiwatts in the early days, and I've seen bands like Less than Jake using Mesa Rec's onstage.

The DS-2 sounds a lot fuller than the DS-1 to my ears, it's a better pedal in general.

The DSL50 is a solid choice in my opinion. Have you decided on it being a combo or a head and cab setup?
I own a 2x12 cabinet with v30s.

I'll be upgrading to a marshall cab with v30s or gt-75s later down the road.
A DSL will do the deed nicely. However, this is the one thing that a JCM900 does very well. You can often pick them up really cheap, far cheaper than a DSL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah the next suggestion I would have made would have been the JCM900, but I didn't know if TS had a cab.

Check your local Craigslist/Ebay/Gumtree or whatever, they tend to go pretty cheap used. If you can find one of the SL-X's then even better.
Okay. thanks for the replys.

I got a offer on an tsl 60 brand new, for 500. should I get it?

Or should I wait for another dsl 50 ad to come up for cheap.

I really don't understand why the dsl is more rated than the tsl.

isn't the tsl 60 same amp with a added 3rd channel?, wouldn't it be better since the dsl has shared eq?

helps. <3.
Alot of people prefer the sound of the dsl. They're both decent for the type of sound you're after. There are some who like the TSLs as well.
Thanks, I'll probably be different like anyone else, and hope for the best with the TSL.

THANKS ALOT UG. <3.
The TSL will work fine for this genre. You can think of it this way and you won't be too far off base. The DSL is more like a JCM800 and the TSL is more like a JCM900. That is comparing them rather loosely but it should give you the idea. The DSL is less fizzy than the TSL, more "organic" if you like. For punk that fizziness isn't really a problem. The TSL is a fine choice here.

If going down the JCM900 path: The JCM900 SL-X is a better sounding amp than the JCM900 Dual Reverb but it doesn't have a clean channel like the DR. All the SL-X has is switchable master volumes. The DR is far more of a hybrid than the SL-X. The DR has a heap of opamps and diodes whereas the SL-X replaced the opamps/diodes in the front end with a extra 12AX7 tube - and you can tell. The SL-X is less versatile but what it does do it does far better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 11, 2011,
indeed another fan of the SL-X. get one, its great for what you want.
mojostompboxes.com
If you're getting the dsl or the tsl you shouldn't need a distortion pedal at all. I'd say you have a good amount of pedals already. most punk bands i go see are just running a 2 channel amp and a tuner maybe a delay or OD but you don't really need a alot of effect for punk rock unless thats what you want to add into your songs
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Another vote for the DSL, I'd get a OD just to get those palm mutes nice an' chunky.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Damn, kids are selling me the dsl for 650. and this other guy wants to sell me the tsl 60, for 500$, and he said, it's only been used in the studio, and he doesn't use it anymore since he got a orange. I don't know if the extra 150$ is good. but I did like the dsl's distortion better than the tsl60. Is there anyway, you can get the tsl to sound just like it ? and better?. considering it's from the same jcm 2000's line.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Fender Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe
- Crybaby->EBVPJr->TU-2->TS9->OCD->NS-2->DD-20->DL4->RV-5
You could probably get in the ballpark if you worked with it. Many people do prefer the sound of the dsls when it comes down to it though. I know i do.
Quote by coolstoryangus
You could probably get in the ballpark if you worked with it. Many people do prefer the sound of the dsls when it comes down to it though. I know i do.

Haha, you tried the tsl 60 and a/b'd?
- Schecter C-1 Classic
I rehearsed at a rehearsal studio that had dsls/tsls at one point. I generally favoured the DSLs i didnt A/B them directly because i was too busy rehearsing but yeah...
So, either way, win or lose? I like the fact that the tsl 60 has seperate eqs, as well as a added 3rd channel, maybe for lead playing.
DSL 50, on the other hand uses same eq as the clean/distortion.
Than again you get a Marshall for the DISTORTION anyways. Haha.

I might as well look, and since I do favor, dsl 50 more as well, and since most do.
I'll try my best low balling on craigslist.
If not, either way, win or lose. just to keep trying for the search of tone.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
I would guess you're gonna be happy with either. The tone may slightly be better on the DSL though.

I would also recommend after you get the amp that you think about your pickups rather than more pedals. What pickups do you have in your Schecter? The stock ones? The JB may do the trick for you but you may want something more aggressive as well. I am not sure about the Jazz. I had one in an SG before and it just has this really sweet (as in sugary) tone, wasn't very punk so I got rid of it.

Check out my music (linked in my signature) as we are a pop/punk band. My band is a huge fan of NFG so of course we have EMGs (81 bridge /60 neck) in one of our guitars for that thick yet precise / clear tone, which is really good for fast power chord rhythms and has that guitar sound you hear on the NFG records (well that + Mesa Dual Recs gets the sound). In the other guitar we have the JB and a '59 in the neck, or a Gibson SG with stock pickups. The reason for the EMGs is you don't want your rhythm turning into mud but that is if you like the palm muted fast stuff. If you are playing music that has less of the hardcore influence (less Sum 41 more We the Kings for instance) then the JB should be just fine. The Duncan JB is actually the pickup used in a lot of the lead guitar on our EP.

Anyway hope that is helpful.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
I would guess you're gonna be happy with either. The tone may slightly be better on the DSL though.

I would also recommend after you get the amp that you think about your pickups rather than more pedals. What pickups do you have in your Schecter? The stock ones? The JB may do the trick for you but you may want something more aggressive as well. I am not sure about the Jazz. I had one in an SG before and it just has this really sweet (as in sugary) tone, wasn't very punk so I got rid of it.

Check out my music (linked in my signature) as we are a pop/punk band. My band is a huge fan of NFG so of course we have EMGs (81 bridge /60 neck) in one of our guitars for that thick yet precise / clear tone, which is really good for fast power chord rhythms and has that guitar sound you hear on the NFG records (well that + Mesa Dual Recs gets the sound). In the other guitar we have the JB and a '59 in the neck, or a Gibson SG with stock pickups. The reason for the EMGs is you don't want your rhythm turning into mud but that is if you like the palm muted fast stuff. If you are playing music that has less of the hardcore influence (less Sum 41 more We the Kings for instance) then the JB should be just fine. The Duncan JB is actually the pickup used in a lot of the lead guitar on our EP.

Anyway hope that is helpful.

Thanks, Yes, it's stocked with JB/Jazz. I'm a huge fan of NFG as well.
I'm going to stick around abit, until someone drops the price for me.
it's 600 for dsl, 500 for tsl atm.
I don't know if 100$ price is worth it at the moment.
- Schecter C-1 Classic