Hi, I'm somewhat new to the bass and I'm looking for a decent bass for starters.
I was looking at fleabasses because I have been a huge fan of Flea from RHCP.

Im just wondering if fleabasses are good, and if the street bass would be suitable for a beginner.
If not, then it would be greatly appreciated if you could recommend one.

EDIT: My price range is anywhere up to $300-350.
I'm looking for a 4-string bass.
Last edited by thepandamusik at Apr 9, 2011,
Yea it's aight, but if you want to go even cheaper, check out the Ibanez GSR200. Great starting bass. Can't go wrong with it.
Avoid them. They're overpriced for what they are, and their quality control is horribly inconsistent. The only thing special about them is that Flea's name is attached to them.

If you're looking for a beginner bass, the FAQ stickied at the top of the forum is a good place to start, there's a whole section on beginner gear there. If you want suggestions though, you'll have to provide us with a budget. Location is helpful too so we can take availability and currency into account.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The Fleabass is not what Flea intended: an entry-level bass with no QC or playability issues. It is a low-priced bass with little to recommend it.

How much are you able to spend? How many strings are you looking for? Is there anything in particular that you want or don't want? These will help with suggestions.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Ahhhhh, I have a Fleabass, it's the gray street model and it honestly plays like a charm, it wasthe 2nd bass i got and i play it all the time. Personally i like it, but i can't really speak for you so just try it out some time and see what you think.
SNSD
Up to around $300-350 is my maximum limit.
And I'm looking for a 4 string bass.
I live in Tampa, Florida if that helps
Here's a short list:
- Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz Bass
- Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz Bass
- used Fender MIM Precision or Jazz Bass
- Ibanez SR300
- Yamaha RBX 374
- Peavey Millennium BXP
- used Peavey Fury or Milestone

Get yourself to a store and start trying basses out, and give craigslist a good look, there's previously-owned treasure out there when it comes to instruments.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^+1
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Tostitos
Here's a short list:
- Ibanez SR300
- Yamaha RBX 374
- Peavey Millennium BXP

Get yourself to a store and start trying basses out, and give craigslist a good look, there's previously-owned treasure out there when it comes to instruments.

+1

Anything by Squier, Ibanez, Peavey or Yamaha. They're all great brands, just avoid the very cheapest.
What's the difference between the "touring" and "street" fleabass apart from the price?
*edit*
Never mind, the "street" bass has a basswood body and the "touring" one uses alder.
Last edited by JustPhil at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by Tostitos
Here's a short list:
- Ibanez SR300
- Yamaha RBX 374
- Peavey Millennium BXP

Thanks for the list
I'll go to some guitar shops today and see if they have any of the ones you mentioned (:

This is what I 'd look at. You Must try it before you buy it.
Imo, if your a Flea fan you should avoid the Ibanez. He has used P's and J's before, but never an Ibanez. I am not bashing, just saying, you will get a more vintage feel/tone with a precision or jazz and that's what Flea gets: a vintage tone.

Here's a cool bass, though it might be out of your $ range

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Diamond-J.aspx

*flame shield up*
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at Apr 9, 2011,
There's a video on Youtube of a guy who swapped the pickup in his FleaBass for a EMG 35DC. Sounds awesome IMO.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
There's a video on Youtube of a guy who swapped the pickup in his FleaBass for a EMG 35DC. Sounds awesome IMO.

I think it sounded better before. :/

There's no doubt that the Fleabass is great sounding but its so shoddily made and the features don't add up to the price.
I just watched it again. This video by the way.
I like what the EMG does for the high end more than the low end of it, but the original pickup had this muffled sound that you hear out of so many low-end stock pickups. I wish they would've used MM buckers instead of soapbars.
This is definetly one of those basses you would have to play before buying, anyone have any idea what factory they're coming out of?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB